Sunday, September 24, 2017

What's the worst place to be stung by a bee ?

Posted on Tuesday, 8 April, 2014 | Comment icon 68 comments

Bee stings can be extremely unpleasant. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Mark Winterbourne
Being stung can be painful at the best of times but some areas can hurt a lot more than others.
Having had an interest in the evolution and behavior of bees for some time, graduate student Michael Smith decided to try and answer one of the age-old questions about bee stings - what is the absolute worst place to get stung ?

Smith conducted the excruciating study over the course of 38 days, each day picking up a bee and placing it on a different part of his own body to sting. He tested out the most common places where stings occur and also the more sensitive areas, clocking up a total of 190 stings.

The results revealed that the single most painful place to be stung was actually on the nose, followed by the lips. The cheek, palm and armpit also ranked highly.

"All the stings induced pain," he wrote. "Getting stung on the top of the skull was like having an egg smashed on your head. The pain is there, but then it goes away."

Source: TIME | Comments (68)

Tags: Bee, Sting

Comment icon #59 Posted by Eldorado on 26 June, 2014, 18:37
In your cell, while on Death Row and while trying to eat your Last Meal after reading a Dear John letter and newspaper articles about the fire that wiped out your entire family.
Comment icon #60 Posted by DieChecker on 27 June, 2014, 6:03
How about on the willy as you are getting undressed on your wedding night.
Comment icon #61 Posted by sarah_444 on 27 June, 2014, 14:41
I've been stung on the little toe twice while walking through clover...hurt like hell. Yes! My worst stings were on the bottom of my bare foot (stepped on the little buggar by accident). And the roof of my mouth.
Comment icon #62 Posted by Astra00 on 27 June, 2014, 14:46
Yes! My worst stings were on the bottom of my bare foot (stepped on the little buggar by accident). And the roof of my mouth. Yes, it's very unpleasant...and the sting lasts for ages. Goodness, the roof of your mouth ? how awful
Comment icon #63 Posted by ealdwita on 27 June, 2014, 16:31
How about on the willy as you are getting undressed on your wedding night. Oh yes, I remember the prayer that goes with that situation....."Dear God, please take away the pain but leave the swelling!"
Comment icon #64 Posted by HerNibs on 27 June, 2014, 17:58
I sat on a bee once. Me too. I was about six. Wearing a bathing suit. Went to go down my slide. Sat right on the bee/wasp. Really painful. Having the stinger removed with half the neighborhood watching really sucked too. My creepy old man neighbor called me Madame belle fess for years. Nibs
Comment icon #65 Posted by MyOtherAccount on 27 June, 2014, 20:27
Yes! My worst stings were on the bottom of my bare foot (stepped on the little buggar by accident). And the roof of my mouth. Sarah, amazingly beautiful profile picture!
Comment icon #66 Posted by SaraT on 27 June, 2014, 20:34
I can think of a few places but they're too painful for me to mention.
Comment icon #67 Posted by sarah_444 on 27 June, 2014, 22:34
Sarah, amazingly beautiful profile picture! Thank you! I love it. It's by a really great artist, Alex Cherry.
Comment icon #68 Posted by DieChecker on 29 June, 2014, 5:21
One really bad place to be stung by a bee would be... Free climbing 2750 feet up El Capitan. Sting... "EEEEEEEEyyyyyyyyaaaaaaa.........."

Saudi Arabian textbook shows Yoda at the UN
9-23-2017
A doctored image of Yoda at the United Nations has somehow ended up in a history textbook.
Juno captures stunning new images of Jupiter
9-23-2017
NASA's Juno probe has sent back four breathtaking new images of the gas giant's swirling atmosphere.
100 people could live on the Moon by 2040
9-22-2017
ESA's ambitious 'Moon village' plan could see humans living on the lunar surface within 25 years.
Man who prevented World War 3 dies aged 77
9-22-2017
Former Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov made a decision in 1983 that may have saved the world.
Will robots take over all our jobs ?
Posted 9-23-2017 | 1 comment
As computers become increasingly sophisticated, will there be any jobs left for us ?

Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY