Monday, September 26, 2016

What's the worst place to be stung by a bee ?

Posted on Tuesday, 8 April, 2014 | Comment icon 68 comments

Bee stings can be extremely unpleasant. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Mark Winterbourne
Being stung can be painful at the best of times but some areas can hurt a lot more than others.
Having had an interest in the evolution and behavior of bees for some time, graduate student Michael Smith decided to try and answer one of the age-old questions about bee stings - what is the absolute worst place to get stung ?

Smith conducted the excruciating study over the course of 38 days, each day picking up a bee and placing it on a different part of his own body to sting. He tested out the most common places where stings occur and also the more sensitive areas, clocking up a total of 190 stings.

The results revealed that the single most painful place to be stung was actually on the nose, followed by the lips. The cheek, palm and armpit also ranked highly.

"All the stings induced pain," he wrote. "Getting stung on the top of the skull was like having an egg smashed on your head. The pain is there, but then it goes away."

Source: TIME | Comments (68)

Tags: Bee, Sting

Comment icon #59 Posted by Eldorado on 26 June, 2014, 18:37
In your cell, while on Death Row and while trying to eat your Last Meal after reading a Dear John letter and newspaper articles about the fire that wiped out your entire family.
Comment icon #60 Posted by DieChecker on 27 June, 2014, 6:03
How about on the willy as you are getting undressed on your wedding night.
Comment icon #61 Posted by sarah_444 on 27 June, 2014, 14:41
I've been stung on the little toe twice while walking through clover...hurt like hell. Yes! My worst stings were on the bottom of my bare foot (stepped on the little buggar by accident). And the roof of my mouth.
Comment icon #62 Posted by Astra00 on 27 June, 2014, 14:46
Yes! My worst stings were on the bottom of my bare foot (stepped on the little buggar by accident). And the roof of my mouth. Yes, it's very unpleasant...and the sting lasts for ages. Goodness, the roof of your mouth ? how awful
Comment icon #63 Posted by ealdwita on 27 June, 2014, 16:31
How about on the willy as you are getting undressed on your wedding night. Oh yes, I remember the prayer that goes with that situation....."Dear God, please take away the pain but leave the swelling!"
Comment icon #64 Posted by HerNibs on 27 June, 2014, 17:58
I sat on a bee once. Me too. I was about six. Wearing a bathing suit. Went to go down my slide. Sat right on the bee/wasp. Really painful. Having the stinger removed with half the neighborhood watching really sucked too. My creepy old man neighbor called me Madame belle fess for years. Nibs
Comment icon #65 Posted by MyOtherAccount on 27 June, 2014, 20:27
Yes! My worst stings were on the bottom of my bare foot (stepped on the little buggar by accident). And the roof of my mouth. Sarah, amazingly beautiful profile picture!
Comment icon #66 Posted by SaraT on 27 June, 2014, 20:34
I can think of a few places but they're too painful for me to mention.
Comment icon #67 Posted by sarah_444 on 27 June, 2014, 22:34
Sarah, amazingly beautiful profile picture! Thank you! I love it. It's by a really great artist, Alex Cherry.
Comment icon #68 Posted by DieChecker on 29 June, 2014, 5:21
One really bad place to be stung by a bee would be... Free climbing 2750 feet up El Capitan. Sting... "EEEEEEEEyyyyyyyyaaaaaaa.........."

We are all living in a directionless universe
9-26-2016
A new study has revealed that, in all likelihood, the universe is expanding equally in all directions.
Is the Voynich manuscript an elaborate hoax ?
9-25-2016
Cryptographers have been attempting to decipher the text's mysterious symbols and diagrams for decades.
Police in Russia 'arrest' activist robot
9-25-2016
Police officers attempted to handcuff the contraption while it was recording data about voter opinions.
Pluto may have an ocean over 100km deep
9-24-2016
Scientists believe that the dwarf planet's interior may be filled with large quantities of liquid water.
Why do we get pruney fingers in water ?
Posted 9-26-2016 | 2 comments
Why do your fingers turn in to prunes when you stay in the bath too long ?

Crushing shoes
Posted 9-25-2016 | 0 comments
What happens when you crush shoes in a high-powered hydraulic press ?

Meet the human torch
Posted 9-24-2016 | 0 comments
Josef Toedtling from Austria has made a successful career out of setting himself on fire.

Real plutonium
Posted 9-23-2016 | 0 comments
A rare look at some of the different plutonium compounds stored at the National Nuclear Laboratory.

Cute but deadly
Posted 9-22-2016 | 4 comments
A look at some animals which might look cute but can still harm you if you aren't careful.

Red-faced monster
9-14-2016 | Lox Florida

Locked door
9-14-2016 | Ho Chi Minh city/Vietnam

The visit
9-9-2016 | West Palm Beach, Fl

Translucent silent UFO
9-9-2016 | Brisbane/Australia

Sleep paralysis and strange activity
9-1-2016 | Tarpon Springs, FL

Blackout? Possession?
9-1-2016 | Canada

Golden ring eyes
8-29-2016 | USA

Shared grief experience
8-29-2016 | Scotland, UK

Sleep paralysis and leaving body
8-29-2016 | California