Thursday, December 25, 2014   |   13,301 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

World's most haunted island goes on sale

Posted on Wednesday, 16 April, 2014 | Comment icon 37 comments

The old hospital on Poveglia. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Chris73

The Venetian island of Poveglia is considered to be one of the most haunted locations on the planet.

In the 18th century the island was used as a quarantine station for vessels arriving in the city of Venice, but when authorities identified two ships carrying the plague things began to go downhill rapidly.

To stop the infection from spreading Poveglia was sealed off and used only as a place to house others suffering from the disease. Countless deaths were attributed to this decision, leading to an unending series of tales about the ghosts and spirits of plague victims haunting its shores.

The island's sordid history didn't end there either - between 1922 and 1968 it played host to a hospital for the elderly in which endless medical experiments were carried out. The hospital's director was said to have ended his life by throwing himself from the building's tower after being driven mad by the ghosts of the island's past.

Italian authorities are now hoping to help offset the country's financial woes by selling the island and converting the old hospital in to a luxury hotel. Whether tourists will actually want to stay there however, given the history of the place, remains to be seen.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (37)

Tags: Poveglia, Haunting

Comment icon #28 Posted by Jyre Cayce on 18 April, 2014, 7:45
the price is too spooky to mention.
Comment icon #29 Posted by DestinyRoad on 19 April, 2014, 4:24
If one has the money to spend, there are big bucks to be made from places reported to be haunted.
Comment icon #30 Posted by sinewave on 19 April, 2014, 18:02
Yes, the paranormal belief system drives a thriving industry that sells books, TV shows, gadgets, phone apps, and tours. Lots of money is made off of belief and believers.
Comment icon #31 Posted by rashore on 14 May, 2014, 14:30
Saw in the news that this place has been sold off..
Comment icon #32 Posted by coldethyl on 14 May, 2014, 14:53
Dang that would have been a great place for all of UM to have a boozer and meet each other!
Comment icon #33 Posted by Simbi Laveau on 20 May, 2014, 7:46
I want to buy it!!! *jumps up and down*
Comment icon #34 Posted by TheGreatBeliever on 29 May, 2014, 15:20
one of my fantasies is to stay in a haunted place. with some frens of cos..
Comment icon #35 Posted by GhostSpy18 on 30 May, 2014, 14:53
if they do turn this place into a hotel i'm gonna have to go and visit
Comment icon #36 Posted by Aisling on 9 September, 2014, 17:26
I dunno if it would be a good idea to put a hotel there. I saw the Ghost Adventures episode where they went there, and the kinds of stuff they encountered was definitely something you wouldn't want to end up meeting. I'd stay as far away from there as I could.
Comment icon #37 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright on 11 September, 2014, 20:04
by Califeliever: Naw, I can understand with that. Now, I kind of believe. In fact, just got off the road from visiting relatives. One place we stayed in, there was a bit of dark red splotches spattared on the ceiling. I'm like, 'I hope it's not what I think it is'. Now, try sleeping in that place for the night. Well, actually, I dreamt good dreams about kittens. Who knew?! Point here, if a hotel and the like gets built on that island, I'm like, no way, not going to stay there. I couldn't sleep staying at the Menger hotel in San Antonio, and I had experiences ther... [More]

A Connecticut haunting
12-15-2014 | New Milford, Connecticut

Luminous UFO in Scotland.
12-2-2014 | Black Loch, Limerigg, Scotland