Friday, July 21, 2017

Cosmetics firm in bid to lighten the Moon

Posted on Monday, 21 April, 2014 | Comment icon 32 comments

Is it really possible to make the Moon brighter ? Image Credit: CC BY-2.0 Jason Bache
The company wants to make the Moon brighter for the purpose of lowering global energy usage.
The bizarre concept has been put forward by the Foreo Institute, a think-tank who have come up with the unfathomable idea to use materials already on the Moon to make the surface reflect more sunlight.

The purpose of the endeavor would be to make it slightly lighter at night back on Earth which in turn would mean less energy consumption and a reduction in harmful carbon emissions.

"We want to raise public awareness about the project and generate consciousness about the global energy crisis," said Foreo's CEO Paul Peros.

The company has so far raised $52 million from unknown investors and plans to send a rover to the Moon by 2020. According to Peros they would only need to transform an area the size of Switzerland on the lunar surface to achieve the desired effect.

Whether the company is actually serious about attempting to do this however remains uncertain - it's very possible that the whole thing is little more than a clever marketing exercise.

Source: Live Science | Comments (32)

Tags: Moon

Comment icon #23 Posted by FlyingAngel on 21 April, 2014, 23:17
Or we just need to invest more on education and love to teach mankind how to economize energy
Comment icon #24 Posted by FizzPuff on 22 April, 2014, 0:19
That's um...interesting. Or how about use the sun instead? Probably gives off more energy. Plus I like how it is at night, I don't want it any brighter.
Comment icon #25 Posted by chopmo on 22 April, 2014, 9:55
These idiots do realise that it's the city's lights that dims the brightness of the moon. This utterly has to be THE stupidest POS I have ever had to read. But I suppose this is what you get from make up artists, go camping you peanuts, other than a short glow of a fire it's pretty bright with just the moon. This is a threat against the planet. We are already naturally suffering from extra heat getting through the ozone let alone "turning up the brightness of the moon" they have absolutely no knowledge of the cause and effect. Let alone the marine life that will be out of placed because of the... [More]
Comment icon #26 Posted by Kiltedmusician on 22 April, 2014, 16:15
Enough helium-3 to buy Switzerland would be destroyed in the process. Governments all over the world would be going to war with whoever wanted to reface part of the moon. Helium-3 is the only substance in the universe valuable enough to go to the moon and get without losing money and it only exists as a few microns thick layer on the surface. Even if it were raining diamonds on the moon it wouldn't be financially practical to go get them. Helium-3 is the necessary ingredient in unlimited energy. http://www.popularmechanics.com/_mobile/science/space/moon-mars/1283056
Comment icon #27 Posted by Nicany on 22 April, 2014, 18:25
From the article: A brighter night sky would mean less need for streetlights, which could potentially translate to less electricity usage I kind of like that idea.
Comment icon #28 Posted by ROGER on 22 April, 2014, 18:41
Oh come on . Send him some seed money , enough to live well . ( I love a good SCAM ) !
Comment icon #29 Posted by psyche101 on 23 April, 2014, 5:16
Wouldn't do anything to tidal activity, that is mass. I think the CEO wants to pave the way for putting advertisement on the moon that can be seen from earth. Whatever is the plan it is a stupid idea. I spend a lot of time outside on full moons in the woods and I see just fine. I love the nights when the power goes out and I can see the stars. Pfftttttt Old hat. Hancock has already advertised on the moon.
Comment icon #30 Posted by Finity on 23 April, 2014, 18:13
Comment icon #31 Posted by minera on 27 April, 2014, 5:57
This is one of the stupidest ideas I've ever seen. I hope this "think tank" isn't getting paid with public money. one cannot think without a brain.
Comment icon #32 Posted by highdesert50 on 30 April, 2014, 8:37
Amazingly successful corporate advertising.

Mystery of Abe Lincoln's Bixby letter solved
7-21-2017
Forensic linguists have 'almost certainly' determined who really wrote the famous Civil War-era letter.
Free diver hits bottom of world's deepest pool
7-21-2017
A new video shows veteran free diver Guillaume Nery descending 131ft underwater on only one lungful of air.
SpaceX ditches plans for 2018 Mars landing
7-21-2017
Plans to land a modified version of the company's reusable Dragon capsule on Mars have been scrapped.
Today marks 48 years since first Moon landing
7-20-2017
Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong made history when they set foot on the lunar surface 48 years ago today.
Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

How do fireworks get their colors ?
Posted 7-19-2017 | 0 comments
Fireworks are well known for their colorful explosions, but where do the colors come from ?

The man who swims towards sharks
Posted 7-18-2017 | 1 comment
Marine biologist Yannis doesn't avoid sharks, he deliberately seeks them out.

Dog for mayor ?
Posted 7-17-2017 | 1 comment
What happens exactly when a town votes for a dog or a cat to be the mayor ? How does this work ?

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI