Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Researchers tackle 'SLIders' phenomenon

Posted on Tuesday, 22 April, 2014 | Comment icon 37 comments

Nobody knows exactly why only a select few people are afflicted. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Albert Bridge
Some people seem to have the ability to turn off streetlights simply by walking underneath them.
This well established phenomenon has been reported for years but nobody seems to know how a select few otherwise normal, everyday people appear to be able to disable streetlights and other devices just by walking next to them.

"I just thought I was nuts and so did those I told," said Hilary Evans who has been researching the subject for years. "I first noticed street lights going off when I began taking college classes. Several times when I would turn into my street to come home, the streetlight outside our home went out."

The "SLI Effect" as it has become known seems to afflict only a small number of people and doesn't appear to be associated with any specific beliefs. Many of those who experience it have never had an interest in the paranormal and only discovered what was happening to them quite by accident.

Electrical engineer Bill Beaty believes that these individuals may be acting like walking electricity generators and possess an abnormal static charge that can interfere with electronic devices. He has even suggested that there could be an undiscovered virus that makes a person particularly susceptible to this, however no direct evidence of such ailment has ever been found.

Source: The Epoch Times | Comments (37)

Tags: SLI, SLIders

Comment icon #28 Posted by DigitalDreamer on 23 April, 2014, 19:25
I've done this for years not sure it happened to anyone else, pretty sure it's just me but hey that's the way le cookie gets destroyed!
Comment icon #29 Posted by qxcontinuum on 24 April, 2014, 3:28
I actualy when i was kid i used to womder on the streets at night on my way home. Many times the street lights would close in my presence. I was told back then that is because they heat up too much. They were metal halides. Latwr i purchased a set of metal halides for my fish tank and they never shut off.
Comment icon #30 Posted by SSilhouette on 26 April, 2014, 6:40
Comment icon #31 Posted by ChrLzs on 27 April, 2014, 8:47
I just wish those investigating this would at least *consider* using a bit of common sense and then testing it properly. Here's my case AGAINST anything out of the ordinary. 1. Street lamps that switch on and off at reasonably regular (and quite short) intervals are common - it's just what happens to the most common types when they start to wear out. There were two near me recently (haven't checked them lately) and I'd be happy to get out and film some if that fact is doubted.. The interval between off and on where I live seems to vary between about 30 seconds to a few minutes, but that would ... [More]
Comment icon #32 Posted by Calibeliever on 27 April, 2014, 21:33
This happens to me. Mainly streetlamps. But also appliances, computer issues, digital clocks. Not all the time. I notice it happening in waves. Try and document it next time you notice it happening. Keep a journal of what happened and when. Random things happen all the time but they don't always catch our attention. I call it the new car phenomenon. Have you ever noticed that when you purchase a new car that suddenly you start seeing your car everywhere on the road? A day before you didn't notice that there were so many, and suddenly you're seeing your make/model everywhere. The truth is they ... [More]
Comment icon #33 Posted by Brian Topp on 29 April, 2014, 15:18
I really do not think this is really true. Before I was fired, i use to pedal to work at 4am every morning. When I ride to work, the street lights would turn off. One time I road half the trip in the dark. After I complained, spoke to SRP (local electric company) then the council, then to some other people until i spoke to a guy who said "Well, To save the cost power we put certain street lights off, especially on low traffic times"
Comment icon #34 Posted by jmccr8 on 5 May, 2014, 22:43
I haven't had such experiences with lights,street lights here have a light sensor built into the top of the fixture so that they turn on and off with the sunrise and sunset.I have seen them turn on and off during electrical storms,so is it possible that some reflected light is at play in some instances? Many years ago I was working at a steel plant manufacturing pipe from 16"-72",I was working the beveller.On one occasion I was taking the safety glass window out to clean it as I had done many times before,I slid it out of it's bracket with my right hand and when I placed my left hand on the gl... [More]
Comment icon #35 Posted by LadyW8tn41 on 1 June, 2014, 15:08
Wow! This has happened to me all of my life. I never thought that anyone else ever experienced this. I certainly never mentioned it to anyone else cuz yeah--I thought it may confirm that I was nuts! I could not fathom how in the world street lights could be affected by people (or me) being nearby. I thought that it just HAD TO BE my imagination. Now I know it doesn't mean that I'm nuts--necessarily. Now the next thing that I've encountered is how school zone flashing lights systems will flash AT ME when I approach--when school is not even in session. Paranoia?--I've always thought it's possibl... [More]
Comment icon #36 Posted by kartikg on 1 June, 2014, 17:03
This was shown on national geographic recently a lady has this ability . Lot of gadgets in her home are rendered useless. The show also showed a Mexican or Brazilian guy who can tolerate large amounts of current.
Comment icon #37 Posted by ThinLine2Cross on 19 September, 2014, 19:11
The question no-one is asking to anyone with this phenomenon is, " Where you electrocuted as a child or at some point before these things started happening to you?" The answer is yes. All of them were. If they don't remember themselves then they should ask a parent, and I guarantee you that the answer will always be yes. They also have other abilities that they will not share with anyone so as not to seem crazy. They know it and I know it, but you never will because of the judgement people get just from laughing about the electricity angle. It's caused by reversed polarity. Hold a magnet up to... [More]

New video reveals Huygens' harrowing descent
1-17-2017
NASA has released a new video recreating the Huygens probe's historic touchdown on Saturn's moon Titan.
French Polynesia signs 'floating city' deal
1-17-2017
The world's first ever floating city could soon begin construction off the French Polynesian coast.
Giant alligator goes for a stroll in Florida
1-17-2017
A huge alligator was filmed by tourists at the Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida this week.
'Creature' photographed in garden at night
1-16-2017
A Reddit user has uploaded an image of what appears to be a strange figure running through a garden.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
Can anger be good for you ?
Posted 1-17-2017 | 1 comment
A new study has suggested that (some) anger can be beneficial to your health.

Marshmallows in a vacuum
Posted 1-16-2017 | 2 comments
What happens to a pile of marshmallows when all the air is removed ?

Fighting fire with fire
Posted 1-15-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage learns whether it is possible to use fire (or the sound of fire) to put out fire.

Washing machine throwing
Posted 1-14-2017 | 8 comments
Two strongmen battle it out to see who can throw a washing machine the furthest.

The amazing natural world
Posted 1-13-2017 | 0 comments
A series of quality clips from some of the BBC's most successful wildlife programmes.

Phantom vehicle
1-6-2017 | Ramer, United States

True ghost stories
1-6-2017 | Southern California

Floating tiles
1-6-2017 | Chewelah, Washington

A haunting in Northern California
12-28-2016 | Northern California

Strange creature in South Africa
12-28-2016 | South Africa, Hoedspruit.

A 15-year-old predicted my future!
12-21-2016 | Katherine, Australia

The haunted pond
12-21-2016 | Essex, Ontario, Canada

The haunted hospital
12-28-2016 | New Plymouth, New Zealand

Loud crash in the night
12-17-2016 | Pennsylvania

Mysterious woman in a blue dress
12-17-2016 | Northern Ireland