Sunday, July 5, 2015   |   4,450 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Last thylacine bit cameraman on the buttocks

Posted on Sunday, 11 May, 2014 | Comment icon 16 comments

An image of Benjamin taken by a different photographer. Image Credit: Benjamin A. Sheppard
The last known living thylacine became rather violent while it was being photographed back in 1933.
Biologist David Fleay had gone to Hobart zoo over 80 years ago to take what would become a well known series of photographs of Benjamin, the last known Tasmanian tiger in captivity.

In a new exhibition at the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery in Launceston however, new information has arisen suggesting that this final photo shoot didn't go quite according to plan.

Based on the testimony of Fleay's daughter Rosemary, it has been revealed that the world's last known captive thylacine actually managed to sink its teeth in to the photographer's buttocks following two warning 'yawns' while he was trying to take its picture.

Fortunately Fleay didn't suffer any serious injuries but the thylacine itself sadly died just three years later, taking with it any last hope of saving the species from its inevitable extinction.

Source: News.com.au | Comments (16)

Tags: Thylacine

Comment icon #7 Posted by DieChecker on 12 May, 2014, 1:20
Like in Howling III?
Comment icon #8 Posted by Sundew on 12 May, 2014, 3:02
I guess if you're going to go extinct, go out with a bang and try to take one of your tormentors with you.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Dave From Down Under on 13 May, 2014, 13:04
Please get your facts right - the thylacine is definitely NOT extinct . . .
Comment icon #10 Posted by Peter B on 13 May, 2014, 13:52
?? Which facts are wrong? On what basis?
Comment icon #11 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 16 May, 2014, 13:01
Your bark needs some bite. Pun intended.
Comment icon #12 Posted by eaglesareskykittens on 17 May, 2014, 0:55
Can't say I blame the thylacine, it was living it horrid conditions, I'd bite someone to.
Comment icon #13 Posted by FizzPuff on 17 May, 2014, 6:19
*snickers*buttocks. That's an interesting looking animal,
Comment icon #14 Posted by Timonthy on 17 May, 2014, 14:06
Hi Dave, are you in Tasmania or mainland? It would be pretty amazing if they were still alive, can you please give a little more information?
Comment icon #15 Posted by The Puzzler on 10 July, 2014, 11:47
Wilf Batty with the last thylacine that was killed in the wild. He looks very proud of himself. Idiot.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Myles on 10 July, 2014, 21:18
I don't know that he was an idiot. If they were known to kill livestock then you cannot blame him for ridding his property of it. I get raccoons that kill my chicken that I catch in a cage and kill (drown actually). I don't know for certain that the raccoon is endangered, but I have to kill it anyway. Of course if I knew the raccoon was endangered then I would not put it down. If this guy knew it was the last Thylacine and killed it, then he is an idiot.

Was she my spirit guide?
7-3-2015 | Ringgold, Georgia, USA

Floating above my bed
7-2-2015 | Brittany, France

The haunted Queenslander
7-2-2015 | Queensland, Australia

'IT' was there to take me!
7-2-2015 | Ringgold, Georgia, USA

My haunted basement apartment
7-1-2015 | Washington DC

Stange happenings one summer
6-23-2015 | Lynchburg, South Carolina

Soulmates in another life ?
6-11-2015 | Florida, United States