Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Trained medical dogs can monitor diabetes

Posted on Sunday, 11 May, 2014 | Comment icon 8 comments

Dogs can prove invaluable in monitoring sensitive conditions. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Specially trained medical detection dogs can have a huge impact to the lives of diabetes sufferers.
Most people will be familiar with guide dogs for the blind, but a relatively new type of dog training has been proving that man's best friend is capable of offering a lot more to patients than previously realised.

Claire Moon suffers from Type 1 diabetes and as a result needs to check her blood sugar levels multiple times a day to avoid them falling too low. "I used to stay awake, or wake up every hour overnight, testing my blood sugars 20 times a day," she said. Failure to act in time meant that she could fall in to a diabetic coma and die with very little warning.

Seven months ago however Moon received a specially trained medical detection dog to help her. The dog is able to detect her glucose levels with its strong sense of smell and then alerts her either by nudging or licking her to let her know that she needs to take action.

"He links the alerting behaviour to a reward," said Moon. "He gets a little special treat, a bacon and cheese thing, so he knows that smell and that action he's just done is right, and he'll remember it for next time."

Since having the dog it has successfully alerted her more than 800 times.

Source: BBC News | Comments (8)

Tags: Medical Detection Dogs, Diabetes

Comment icon #1 Posted by lisaloveslilia on 11 May, 2014, 11:27
Dogs are pretty awesome! Its cool to see them being utilized more in ways that they are naturally in tuned to. They could be a HUGE benefit in the medical field. I'd like to see a lot more of this kind of thing in the future! Plus...did I mention dogs are awesome?
Comment icon #2 Posted by tagace1 on 12 May, 2014, 12:33
i wonder if we could train my friends dog to do this for her. I would gladly train it myself if it would help her
Comment icon #3 Posted by YukiEsmaElite0 on 12 May, 2014, 12:34
Ah, this is because diabetics get a fruit-y smell about there breath when they sugar is too high or too low (or at least it does for me). A girl at the school I attend has a dog for just that purpose, though I'm sure her sugar isn't that out of control...
Comment icon #4 Posted by paperdyer on 12 May, 2014, 15:37
USA Networks' Roal Pains used this a couple of seasons ago.
Comment icon #5 Posted by rashore on 12 May, 2014, 16:05
I know a very nice guy that has a little chihuahua for his diabetes. She's a darling dog, exceedingly well behaved.
Comment icon #6 Posted by DieChecker on 13 May, 2014, 20:56
Comment icon #7 Posted by regeneratia on 13 May, 2014, 21:44
how did they get a phto of my dog? I am not diabetic, because I don't take statins. However this photo looks a lot like my dog.
Comment icon #8 Posted by lisaloveslilia on 14 May, 2014, 3:22
Doesn't surprise me. Didn't they find that dogs can smell cancer in patients also? I do believe I've heard that before. Dogs have amazing sense of smell! Think I also heard a story about a dog sensing his owner's oncoming heart attack. Pretty amazing!

Mystery surrounds missing craters on Ceres
7-26-2016
Scientists have been attempting to determine why the dwarf planet Ceres has no large craters at all.
Cockroach milk: the future's health drink ?
7-26-2016
New research suggests that cockroaches produce milk that is three times more nutritious than cow's milk.
Solar Impulse completes historic global trip
7-26-2016
The aircraft, which is powered entirely by the sun, has succeeded in flying around the entire world.
NASA to digitize data from Viking landers
7-25-2016
The data recorded during the historic Viking Mars missions is set to be archived in digital form.
Walking over light bulbs
Posted 7-26-2016 | 1 comment
This skilled Chinese woman succeeds in walking across light bulbs for 20 meters.

Are great leaders born or made ?
Posted 7-25-2016 | 7 comments
What does it take to be a great leader and how does one go about accomplishing that ?

Real-life Pokemon
Posted 7-24-2016 | 1 comment
Are there any animals in the real world that could be considered actual real-life Pokemon ?

Light in Orion
7-23-2016 | Tampa, Florida

Girl with the broken neck
7-23-2016 | Mississippi

Holes in cotton clothing
7-23-2016 | Somerset, UK

Three knocks in the night
6-28-2016 | Cedar City, Utah