Tuesday, April 28, 2015   |   5,389 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

What is behind Norway's Hessdalen lights ?

Posted on Wednesday, 14 May, 2014 | Comment icon 30 comments

A lone light shines out over the snow. Image Credit: YouTube / Truthloader

The valley is home to mysterious hovering orbs of light that have been sighted for more than a century.

Particularly puzzling is the wide variety of different lights that seem to appear, including some that are the size of a car, some that flash blue and white and some that seem to zip around at high speed before fading. Some of the lights have the appearance of metallic objects, leading to speculation that they could even be extraterrestrial in nature.

A recent study in to the phenomenon however has revealed that the lights are more likely to have a geological origin. The glowing effect, far from being the product of spirits or aliens, is instead believed to be the result of air turning in to plasma. The unique properties of the valley, including copper-rich rocks on one side and iron-rich rocks on the other, provide the potential to make the whole place act like a giant battery.

With the phenomenon occurring more frequently during periods in which the Northern Lights are visible over the region, researchers have also speculated that the solar wind could be providing the necessary charge to energize the plasma.

Whether this explanation will discourage people from visiting the valley in an effort to catch a glimpse of the lights for themselves however, remains to be seen.

Source: Gizmodo | Comments (30)

Tags: Hessdalen Lights, Norway, UFO, Orbs

Comment icon #21 Posted by Astra00 on 6 June, 2014, 12:33
I understand exactly what your saying....believe me though,I don't call everything flying around in the air a UFO. We have what you call Min Min lights in this country. I have witnessed the phenomenon a few times whilst driving out West at night. The point that I was making before in general...was that the 1% of what cannot be identified....IS usually identified as something else...when they really can't identify it. I hope you get my drift
Comment icon #22 Posted by psyche101 on 13 June, 2014, 6:12
LOL - Touche` !!
Comment icon #23 Posted by Sir Wearer of Hats on 13 June, 2014, 10:48
And here I was going to speculate that it might have been paeloluminescence.....
Comment icon #24 Posted by ChrLzs on 13 June, 2014, 13:29
I'll happily confess I haven't spent hours poring over it all... but what I have seen to date regarding the quality of observations of the Hessdalen phenomena, especially by those claiming to be professionally / scientifically / carefully investigating the supposedly common occurrence, are woeful. Is there very limited funding or a shortage of decent photographers around this area, or are the sightings much more rare than is usually touted? Does anyone have any links/examples of decently recorded examples? If the examples shown so far on this thread are the best... then I'd have... [More]
Comment icon #25 Posted by scowl on 13 June, 2014, 16:43
The project to study the lights has been tapering off as no one has come up with good theories and there's no indication that they will. As you've seen the people interested in studying it haven't done a perfect job of collecting data and these are the people who want better equipment and more elaborate (i.e. expensive) studies. They already had been using excellent equipment including a seismograph and even a powerful laser to shoot back at the lights. They had a Geiger counter but couldn't explain how they would use it to measure the radiation of something miles away. A maj... [More]
Comment icon #26 Posted by bmk1245 on 14 June, 2014, 11:14
Most frustrating thing when you see dubious entering scientific papers ( ). How THAT did got passed reviewers is beyond me... Another point, when I see remarkable results from Chinese team, who recorded ball lightning ( ) and compare quality of the results above with that of , I tend to think that the teams in Hessdalen are beating around the bushes with a little progress since research started there back in 1983.
Comment icon #27 Posted by psyche101 on 19 June, 2014, 5:50
The two are completely unrelated. Nobody claims it is "satisfactorily" explained, just that we have a very good idea what is most likely is. A Form or several of Aerial Plasma. Ridiculous to claim that cut grass and arial lights are related anyway. The only commonality is roughly geographic location. Does not take much to excite you does it.
Comment icon #28 Posted by taniwha on 30 June, 2014, 10:37
But what of the natural battery theory? Is this as ' no good ' as all the other theories too? How so? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2632650/Has-mystery-glowing-Norwegian-orbs-solved-Expert-claims-underground-battery-creates-amazing-light-show.html
Comment icon #29 Posted by SaraT on 30 June, 2014, 10:55
I didn't realise the extent of this phenomenon, but I just have found that this exists:
Comment icon #30 Posted by lightly on 1 July, 2014, 0:26
I like it. I'd guess it's probably the earth and atmosphere doing some electromagnetic tricks ... and somehow creating these Lights or plasma

A house that has tales to tell
4-22-2015 | Dublin, Ireland

Four in one strange goings-on
3-30-2015 | South Sweden

A light shining in the night
3-30-2015 | Sawtry, Cambridgeshire, UK

Strange lights in October
3-30-2015 | Canada

Whispers in my ear
3-30-2015 | Corydon, Indiana.

Watery face in clear blue sky
3-30-2015 | Flint, Michigan