Sunday, September 25, 2016

What is the purpose of yawning ?

Posted on Thursday, 15 May, 2014 | Comment icon 20 comments

Yawning is an extremely contagious behavior. Image Credit: sxc.hu
The conventional idea that yawning is a sign of tiredness or boredom is now thought to be incorrect.
Instead, yawning may actually be about regulating the temperature of the brain. Like a computer, the brain operates best within a certain range of temperatures and when it gets too hot a good yawn can help to cool it down, promoting clearer thinking.

Conventionally associated with tiredness, yawning was long thought to be a way for the body to help wake itself up using a sudden jolt of oxygen. While it is true that yawning occurs more frequently when we are tired, this may be because being tired and exhausted can raise the brain's temperature, leading to more frequent yawning in order to help cool it down.

These conclusions have also been carried across to the phenomenon of contagious yawning. In the case of a pack of animals for instance, yawning can help to keep the whole pack alert by having members subconsciously yawn when they observe one of the others doing it.

Yawning is so contagious in fact that even reading about it can induce yawning. It is quite likely that you've yawned at least once yourself while you were reading this article.

Source: Independent | Comments (20)

Tags: Yawning, Brain

Comment icon #11 Posted by Child of Bast on 15 May, 2014, 14:32
I read somewhere that yawning was also the cause of one's body requiring a boost of oxygen in the blood stream. I wish I could remember the article in question. That's what I have heard/read as well. Nothing to do with boredom.
Comment icon #12 Posted by BuzzLightYear on 15 May, 2014, 14:51
A little trick you can pull on a car load of people or a gathering of people is to yawn, wait a bit and yawn again. If you repeat this enough before long several people will start to yawn. LOL
Comment icon #13 Posted by Merc14 on 15 May, 2014, 16:01
so they can smell your breath and see their vulva, and vice versa, ewwww!!!! I think you mean uvula but if they want to show the other bits it is fine by me
Comment icon #14 Posted by maximusnow on 15 May, 2014, 16:07
I buy yawn vacinations every morning, they last 5 hours and taste like fruit.
Comment icon #15 Posted by stevemagegod on 16 May, 2014, 2:11
Comment icon #16 Posted by Frank Merton on 16 May, 2014, 2:58
Sounds serious. Ayaunism. Get it treated.
Comment icon #17 Posted by TheGreatBeliever on 16 May, 2014, 13:01
It IS because we are tired n bored!
Comment icon #18 Posted by Junior Chubb on 16 May, 2014, 21:54
I have actually "forgot" how to yawn. I don't understand why i can' yawn anymore. It's like i will feel this "surge" of energy come up but when i have my mouth open nothing comes out. I haven't had a good "yawn" in months. Good brain ventilation or you are just to cool for skool
Comment icon #19 Posted by amaterasu on 16 May, 2014, 22:22
I yawn a lot when my husband explains his job to me. When he looks annoyed that I seem bored I tell him I have air hunger ....he seems to be happy with that explanation
Comment icon #20 Posted by FizzPuff on 17 May, 2014, 6:13
I thought it was cause we didn't get enough oxygen. So that it was our bodies way of "manually" getting more air or something... I can't remember the exact wording.

5772099

Is the Voynich manuscript an elaborate hoax ?
9-25-2016
Cryptographers have been attempting to decipher the text's mysterious symbols and diagrams for decades.
Police in Russia 'arrest' activist robot
9-25-2016
Police officers attempted to handcuff the contraption while it was recording data about voter opinions.
Pluto may have an ocean over 100km deep
9-24-2016
Scientists believe that the dwarf planet's interior may be filled with large quantities of liquid water.
Scientists solve mystery of the singing fish
9-24-2016
Back in the 1980's, California houseboat residents had reported hearing a strange humming noise at night.
Crushing shoes
Posted 9-25-2016 | 0 comments
What happens when you crush shoes in a high-powered hydraulic press ?

Meet the human torch
Posted 9-24-2016 | 0 comments
Josef Toedtling from Austria has made a successful career out of setting himself on fire.

Real plutonium
Posted 9-23-2016 | 0 comments
A rare look at some of the different plutonium compounds stored at the National Nuclear Laboratory.

Cute but deadly
Posted 9-22-2016 | 4 comments
A look at some animals which might look cute but can still harm you if you aren't careful.

Cooking steak with lava
Posted 9-21-2016 | 1 comment
What happens when you try to cook a steak using a stream of molten hot magma ?

Red-faced monster
9-14-2016 | Lox Florida

Locked door
9-14-2016 | Ho Chi Minh city/Vietnam

The visit
9-9-2016 | West Palm Beach, Fl

Translucent silent UFO
9-9-2016 | Brisbane/Australia

Sleep paralysis and strange activity
9-1-2016 | Tarpon Springs, FL

Blackout? Possession?
9-1-2016 | Canada

Golden ring eyes
8-29-2016 | USA

Shared grief experience
8-29-2016 | Scotland, UK

Sleep paralysis and leaving body
8-29-2016 | California