Sunday, December 4, 2016

What is the purpose of yawning ?

Posted on Thursday, 15 May, 2014 | Comment icon 20 comments

Yawning is an extremely contagious behavior. Image Credit: sxc.hu
The conventional idea that yawning is a sign of tiredness or boredom is now thought to be incorrect.
Instead, yawning may actually be about regulating the temperature of the brain. Like a computer, the brain operates best within a certain range of temperatures and when it gets too hot a good yawn can help to cool it down, promoting clearer thinking.

Conventionally associated with tiredness, yawning was long thought to be a way for the body to help wake itself up using a sudden jolt of oxygen. While it is true that yawning occurs more frequently when we are tired, this may be because being tired and exhausted can raise the brain's temperature, leading to more frequent yawning in order to help cool it down.

These conclusions have also been carried across to the phenomenon of contagious yawning. In the case of a pack of animals for instance, yawning can help to keep the whole pack alert by having members subconsciously yawn when they observe one of the others doing it.

Yawning is so contagious in fact that even reading about it can induce yawning. It is quite likely that you've yawned at least once yourself while you were reading this article.

Source: Independent | Comments (20)

Tags: Yawning, Brain

Comment icon #11 Posted by Child of Bast on 15 May, 2014, 14:32
I read somewhere that yawning was also the cause of one's body requiring a boost of oxygen in the blood stream. I wish I could remember the article in question. That's what I have heard/read as well. Nothing to do with boredom.
Comment icon #12 Posted by BuzzLightYear on 15 May, 2014, 14:51
A little trick you can pull on a car load of people or a gathering of people is to yawn, wait a bit and yawn again. If you repeat this enough before long several people will start to yawn. LOL
Comment icon #13 Posted by Merc14 on 15 May, 2014, 16:01
so they can smell your breath and see their vulva, and vice versa, ewwww!!!! I think you mean uvula but if they want to show the other bits it is fine by me
Comment icon #14 Posted by maximusnow on 15 May, 2014, 16:07
I buy yawn vacinations every morning, they last 5 hours and taste like fruit.
Comment icon #15 Posted by stevemagegod on 16 May, 2014, 2:11
Comment icon #16 Posted by Frank Merton on 16 May, 2014, 2:58
Sounds serious. Ayaunism. Get it treated.
Comment icon #17 Posted by TheGreatBeliever on 16 May, 2014, 13:01
It IS because we are tired n bored!
Comment icon #18 Posted by Junior Chubb on 16 May, 2014, 21:54
I have actually "forgot" how to yawn. I don't understand why i can' yawn anymore. It's like i will feel this "surge" of energy come up but when i have my mouth open nothing comes out. I haven't had a good "yawn" in months. Good brain ventilation or you are just to cool for skool
Comment icon #19 Posted by amaterasu on 16 May, 2014, 22:22
I yawn a lot when my husband explains his job to me. When he looks annoyed that I seem bored I tell him I have air hunger ....he seems to be happy with that explanation
Comment icon #20 Posted by FizzPuff on 17 May, 2014, 6:13
I thought it was cause we didn't get enough oxygen. So that it was our bodies way of "manually" getting more air or something... I can't remember the exact wording.

Giant air-breathing fish found in the Amazon
12-3-2016
A new species of the mysterious arapaima has been discovered in the remote backwaters of the Amazon.
Two new video clips show alleged thylacines
12-3-2016
The Thylacine Awareness Group of Australia has released two new clips recorded using a trail camera.
Full-scale 'Titanic' being built in China
12-3-2016
The life-size replica of the ill-fated vessel will even feature a simulation of the iceberg collision.
Man is attempting to swim across the Atlantic
12-2-2016
British swimmer Ben Hooper has embarked on a seemingly impossible feat of strength and endurance.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
Jumping widowbirds
Posted 12-3-2016 | 2 comments
These male widowbirds are competing to see which of them can jump the highest.

Why do we like shiny things ?
Posted 12-2-2016 | 7 comments
Why do we seem to be intrinsically drawn from an early age to shiny objects ?

Why are dogs so different ?
Posted 12-1-2016 | 5 comments
Despite being the same species, various breeds of dogs can be very different indeed.

Pulling a fire engine
Posted 11-30-2016 | 0 comments
Strongman Kevin Fast and his two sons manage to pull a fire engine over 100ft.

How to jump from the edge of space
Posted 11-29-2016 | 2 comments
In 2014, Alan Eustace donned a special spacesuit and jumped from over 135,000 feet.

Not my daughter