Sunday, August 20, 2017

What is the purpose of yawning ?

Posted on Thursday, 15 May, 2014 | Comment icon 20 comments

Yawning is an extremely contagious behavior. Image Credit: sxc.hu
The conventional idea that yawning is a sign of tiredness or boredom is now thought to be incorrect.
Instead, yawning may actually be about regulating the temperature of the brain. Like a computer, the brain operates best within a certain range of temperatures and when it gets too hot a good yawn can help to cool it down, promoting clearer thinking.

Conventionally associated with tiredness, yawning was long thought to be a way for the body to help wake itself up using a sudden jolt of oxygen. While it is true that yawning occurs more frequently when we are tired, this may be because being tired and exhausted can raise the brain's temperature, leading to more frequent yawning in order to help cool it down.

These conclusions have also been carried across to the phenomenon of contagious yawning. In the case of a pack of animals for instance, yawning can help to keep the whole pack alert by having members subconsciously yawn when they observe one of the others doing it.

Yawning is so contagious in fact that even reading about it can induce yawning. It is quite likely that you've yawned at least once yourself while you were reading this article.

Source: Independent | Comments (20)

Tags: Yawning, Brain

Comment icon #11 Posted by Child of Bast on 15 May, 2014, 14:32
I read somewhere that yawning was also the cause of one's body requiring a boost of oxygen in the blood stream. I wish I could remember the article in question. That's what I have heard/read as well. Nothing to do with boredom.
Comment icon #12 Posted by BuzzLightYear on 15 May, 2014, 14:51
A little trick you can pull on a car load of people or a gathering of people is to yawn, wait a bit and yawn again. If you repeat this enough before long several people will start to yawn. LOL
Comment icon #13 Posted by Merc14 on 15 May, 2014, 16:01
so they can smell your breath and see their vulva, and vice versa, ewwww!!!! I think you mean uvula but if they want to show the other bits it is fine by me
Comment icon #14 Posted by maximusnow on 15 May, 2014, 16:07
I buy yawn vacinations every morning, they last 5 hours and taste like fruit.
Comment icon #15 Posted by stevemagegod on 16 May, 2014, 2:11
Comment icon #16 Posted by Frank Merton on 16 May, 2014, 2:58
Sounds serious. Ayaunism. Get it treated.
Comment icon #17 Posted by TheGreatBeliever on 16 May, 2014, 13:01
It IS because we are tired n bored!
Comment icon #18 Posted by Junior Chubb on 16 May, 2014, 21:54
I have actually "forgot" how to yawn. I don't understand why i can' yawn anymore. It's like i will feel this "surge" of energy come up but when i have my mouth open nothing comes out. I haven't had a good "yawn" in months. Good brain ventilation or you are just to cool for skool
Comment icon #19 Posted by amaterasu on 16 May, 2014, 22:22
I yawn a lot when my husband explains his job to me. When he looks annoyed that I seem bored I tell him I have air hunger ....he seems to be happy with that explanation
Comment icon #20 Posted by FizzPuff on 17 May, 2014, 6:13
I thought it was cause we didn't get enough oxygen. So that it was our bodies way of "manually" getting more air or something... I can't remember the exact wording.

'Apocalyptic' cloud hangs over town in Brazil
8-19-2017
Residents of Teixeira de Freitas were treated to a rather unusual and unnerving spectacle this week.
Mysterious doors appear across Nova Scotia
8-19-2017
The freestanding doors have turned up in several towns, leaving local residents scratching their heads.
Can the Yellowstone supervolcano be stopped ?
8-19-2017
NASA has come up with an ambitious new plan to cool down the supervolcano by using it as an energy source.
Mars rovers to focus on the search for life
8-18-2017
Two upcoming Mars rover missions will attempt to determine if the Red Planet was once home to life.
Why don't we use our parent's names?
Posted 8-19-2017 | 2 comments
Why do we call our parents mom and dad instead of using their actual names ?

Adam Savage meets an alien
Posted 8-18-2017 | 2 comments
The former MythBuster checks out the animatronic alien from the movie Alien Covenant.

Concrete blocks chest smash
Posted 8-17-2017 | 0 comments
Multiple world record holder Ali Bahcetepe has 16 concrete blocks smashed on his chest.

Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY

Shapeshifter
8-18-2017 | Cranbrook British Columbia

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia