Saturday, April 29, 2017

Can a drone walk your dog for you ?

Posted on Friday, 23 May, 2014 | Comment icon 19 comments

Would you let a drone walk your dog ? Image Credit: Vimeo / Jeff Meyers
A future in which automated drones can perform everyday tasks might not be as far away as you think.
Drones have been gaining in prominence lately with applications ranging from recording aerial footage to delivering parcels from Amazon. As these devices get smaller, cheaper and more sophisticated it may not be long before owning a drone might not be any more unusual than owning a car.

To help demonstrate such a future, videographer Jeff Myers decided to put together a video showing a drone being used to undertake a common task that millions of us face on a daily basis.

Myers programmed the drone to go on a specific route around his neighborhood with his well-behaved Golden Retriever in tow. "Goldens are really well-trained and I think she was freaked out enough by what was happening that she just went along with it," he said.

"The long-term vision was, what if we could make every part of Manhattan have a bike lane and a dog lane - and then you'd have these drones tied to them who could go walk your dog to your mother who lives on the Upper West Side. Wouldn't that be cool ?"

Source: IB Times | Comments (19)

Tags: Dog, Drone

Comment icon #10 Posted by DieChecker on 23 May, 2014, 19:33
I like how kids look over at the drone walking the dog, but they don't stop. They kind of go, humm... ok. And move on.
Comment icon #11 Posted by GreenmansGod on 23 May, 2014, 19:37
My chihuahua would pull that out of the sky no problem. She can pull like a husky. Stupid idea. What happens when they meet up with a dog they don't like and get in a fight. Then there a lots of wonderful people looking for a dogs to steal for fighting and train fighting dogs. I like walking my dog and it is good for me. I'll pass on that little toy.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Ryu on 23 May, 2014, 20:27
Instead of getting a drone to walk your dog, why don't you just ask your dog to walk itself?! Because people have gotten lazier as time goes by. I have seen people drive their cars at low speeds while walking their dog..and they are not disabled either. Pets are not some decorative, household accessory, they are living beings with whom you share your home and life with and if someone cannot comprehend that then they do not deserve the companionship of a pet. P.S: Ashyne..I really like your avatar. It is so cute.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Paranomali on 24 May, 2014, 1:30
I imagine my pug just running in circles getting all tangled up and ending up in a bush somewhere. I'd never use this if it became available.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Sakari on 24 May, 2014, 11:07
lastly anyone who has a dog and cant be bothered to walk it themselves, and love it, doesn't deserve it in the first place Amen to that.
Comment icon #15 Posted by lightly on 24 May, 2014, 11:57
A drone has to be controlled by someone? It's not as if a drone can do it all by 'itself" ? Also, a drone in the air has nothing to hang on to .. a dog could drag it along wherever it decided to GO. So, No, a drone can't walk the dog for you.
Comment icon #16 Posted by DieChecker on 24 May, 2014, 17:01
I suspect something like ASIMO could be programmed to walk the dog. For the smaller dogs anyway. Maybe even a strong chiwahwah might be to much for ASIMO however. I don't know how much it weighs or how strong it is. Or maybe Boston Dynamics' (of Big Dog fame) robot Atlas?
Comment icon #17 Posted by mysticwerewolf on 25 May, 2014, 2:24
my friend to the left would come back from where ever he is and bite me if I had a drone walk the dog
Comment icon #18 Posted by JGirl on 25 May, 2014, 2:36
how about if the drone does all my household chores and i'll go enjoy a walk with the dog?
Comment icon #19 Posted by bigjonalien on 29 May, 2014, 6:47
How will it pick up the dog crap?

Distant 'ice ball' exoplanet discovered
4-28-2017
Scientists have announced the discovery of a freezing Earth-mass world 13,000 light years away.
DNA of prehistoric humans found in caves
4-28-2017
Scientists have found a way to identify extinct species of human by analyzing the sediment inside caves.
Bermuda Triangle 'bubbles' theory debunked
4-28-2017
Physicist Helen Czerski has cast doubt on one of the most popular theories about the Bermuda Triangle.
Giant spider webs cover field in New Zealand
4-27-2017
Fascinating new footage has emerged online showing an entire field engulfed by a huge expanse of cobwebs.
Gliding leaf frogs
Posted 4-28-2017 | 0 comments
These remarkable amphibians use their webbed feet to help them glide through the air.

Venus flytrap anemone
Posted 4-27-2017 | 0 comments
A look at one particularly unusual creature which lives down at the bottom of the ocean.

Lightning seen from space
Posted 4-26-2017 | 0 comments
Astronaut Thomas Pesquet captured this footage from the International Space Station.

Slo Mo Guys Inception
Posted 4-25-2017 | 0 comments
Gav and Dan attempt to recreate a scene from Inception involving a bath of cold water.

Boiling water meets freezing air
Posted 4-24-2017 | 1 comment
A look at what happens when you throw boiling water out in to the freezing Russian winter air.

Is the Boar Man real ?
4-26-2017 | Wichita Mountains, Oklahoma

Possessed boom box 1988
4-26-2017 | Santa Ana

Grandpa's visit
4-14-2017 | Portugal

Mysterious dog
4-14-2017 | Utah

A night to remember
4-14-2017 | Philippines

Am I going crazy ?
3-30-2017 | South Africa

Sleep paralysis or my father ?
3-30-2017 | Los Angeles