Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Google to build its own self-driving cars

Posted on Wednesday, 28 May, 2014 | Comment icon 24 comments

Would you sit in a car that drives itself ? Image Credit: Google / YouTube
The search giant is set to begin manufacturing its own custom cars instead of adapting existing ones.
Google's remarkable automated vehicles have advanced to such an extent that the company is now going to start building its own original design for the cars with the hope of seeing them undergo wide scale testing within as little as one year.

"We're really excited about this vehicle - it's something that will allow us to really push the capabilities of self driving technology, and understand the limitations," said project director Chris Urmson.

The new design resembles that of a smart car but with a flat cartoon-like front. Capable of seating two passengers, the vehicles will be electric with no controls aside from a stop and go button.

Because the technology is still new the cars will be limited to 25mph to begin with, however as the software is perfected this is likely to rise to rival regular road speeds in the not-too-distant future.

The vehicle's designers also believe that by eliminating driver error the technology will go a long way towards revolutionizing road safety for everyone.

"I think it has the potential to be the most important safety technology that the auto industry has ever seen," said Ron Medford, former deputer director of the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Source: BBC News | Comments (24)

Tags: Self Driving Car, Google

Comment icon #15 Posted by paperdyer on 29 May, 2014, 15:10
The Johnny Cab! Or the police car from Demolition Man with the "canolly foam"
Comment icon #16 Posted by paperdyer on 29 May, 2014, 15:11
I was reading about this one thing it will do since it will not be prone to human error, i.e speeding, running red lights etc... it will cripple law enforcement agencies dependent on revenue that such human error creates via tickets and associated fines. No, it will just allow for more police to capture theives, killer and drug pushers.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Dark_Grey on 29 May, 2014, 15:14
No, it will just allow for more police to capture theives, killer and drug pushers. I think you severely underestimate how much revenue traffic tickets bring in.
Comment icon #18 Posted by paperdyer on 29 May, 2014, 20:25
I think you severely underestimate how much revenue traffic tickets bring in. Maybe as I've never gotten a speeding ticket. I've been doing a good bit of travelling the last 3 years going back and forth from our main office to the plant. Three hours each way on I-77 and I-20.. I very rarely see anyone pulled over getting a ticket, unless it's a holiday weekend coming up. Cops pass me when I'm already over the limit! No lights or sirens on. I'm sure some sates write more speeding tickets than others. Virginia comes to mind. But I'm sure it's a big enough piece of revenue, the stares will repalc... [More]
Comment icon #19 Posted by Junior Chubb on 29 May, 2014, 23:46
I think you severely underestimate how much revenue traffic tickets bring in. It would be interesting to know the effects of the drop in revenue. As the change will be gradual I am sure the balance will be offset through new 'revenue generating' crimes. I think the changes to the motor insurance and especially the motor repair/maintenance industries will also be very negative.
Comment icon #20 Posted by Hobbit Feet on 30 May, 2014, 12:02
Maybe they'll have identification software aboard that will lock the doors and take wanted criminals straight to the police station.
Comment icon #21 Posted by seeder on 30 May, 2014, 13:55
Personally, I like the 'driving' aspect to cars. If I dont want to physically drive then I can just take a bus, train or taxi...hands free driving! I do get concerns of a future world where none of us have any control over our lives
Comment icon #22 Posted by mfrmboy on 30 May, 2014, 17:19
Cool! Self driving cars paired with solar roadways, AWESOME !!!! The future is coming, I hope to see it in my life time.
Comment icon #23 Posted by Socio on 31 May, 2014, 21:44
I think you severely underestimate how much revenue traffic tickets bring in. Yes indeed it, is a multi-billion dollar a year industry; http://www.statisticbrain.com/driving-citation-statistics/ It is why most police forces have a designated traffic enforcement team or teams.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Realm on 1 June, 2014, 3:29
This is the beginning of big lawsuit payouts for Google vehicles at fault. You know it, I know it, and the Lawyers know it.

Scientists create semi-synthetic life forms
1-24-2017
For the first time ever, researchers have succeeded in creating healthy organisms with synthetic DNA.
Microbial life can survive on Mars after all
1-23-2017
A new study has added weight to the idea that microbes can survive in the harsh conditions on Mars.
Fossils of giant otter unearthed in China
1-23-2017
Paleontologists have revealed the discovery of a prehistoric otter that was around the size of a wolf.
Mystery surrounds felling of 200 beech trees
1-23-2017
Authorities in Wales are attempting to work out who chopped down hundreds of beech trees near Caerphilly.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
Where did Planet Nine come from ?
Posted 1-24-2017 | 0 comments
Is there really a Planet Nine and if so, could it have wandered in to our solar system ?

Snapping steel in slow-motion
Posted 1-23-2017 | 1 comment
The Slo Mo Guys film a steel beam being snapped and replay it in extreme slow motion.

Coconut octopus vs crab
Posted 1-22-2017 | 1 comment
A coconut octopus lies in wait for an unsuspecting meal in this Smithsonian Channel clip.

What would happen if you fell 365 meters ?
Posted 1-21-2017 | 2 comments
A look at what would happen if you were unfortunate enough to fall from a great height.

A colorful 'landing' on Pluto
Posted 1-20-2017 | 0 comments
This NASA movie explores would it might be like to land on the dwarf planet Pluto.

Phantom vehicle
1-6-2017 | Ramer, United States

True ghost stories
1-6-2017 | Southern California

Floating tiles
1-6-2017 | Chewelah, Washington

A haunting in Northern California
12-28-2016 | Northern California

Strange creature in South Africa
12-28-2016 | South Africa, Hoedspruit.

A 15-year-old predicted my future!
12-21-2016 | Katherine, Australia

The haunted pond
12-21-2016 | Essex, Ontario, Canada

The haunted hospital
12-28-2016 | New Plymouth, New Zealand

Loud crash in the night
12-17-2016 | Pennsylvania

Mysterious woman in a blue dress
12-17-2016 | Northern Ireland