Monday, June 27, 2016

Google to build its own self-driving cars

Posted on Wednesday, 28 May, 2014 | Comment icon 24 comments

Would you sit in a car that drives itself ? Image Credit: Google / YouTube
The search giant is set to begin manufacturing its own custom cars instead of adapting existing ones.
Google's remarkable automated vehicles have advanced to such an extent that the company is now going to start building its own original design for the cars with the hope of seeing them undergo wide scale testing within as little as one year.

"We're really excited about this vehicle - it's something that will allow us to really push the capabilities of self driving technology, and understand the limitations," said project director Chris Urmson.

The new design resembles that of a smart car but with a flat cartoon-like front. Capable of seating two passengers, the vehicles will be electric with no controls aside from a stop and go button.

Because the technology is still new the cars will be limited to 25mph to begin with, however as the software is perfected this is likely to rise to rival regular road speeds in the not-too-distant future.

The vehicle's designers also believe that by eliminating driver error the technology will go a long way towards revolutionizing road safety for everyone.

"I think it has the potential to be the most important safety technology that the auto industry has ever seen," said Ron Medford, former deputer director of the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Source: BBC News | Comments (24)

Tags: Self Driving Car, Google

Comment icon #15 Posted by paperdyer on 29 May, 2014, 15:10
The Johnny Cab! Or the police car from Demolition Man with the "canolly foam"
Comment icon #16 Posted by paperdyer on 29 May, 2014, 15:11
I was reading about this one thing it will do since it will not be prone to human error, i.e speeding, running red lights etc... it will cripple law enforcement agencies dependent on revenue that such human error creates via tickets and associated fines. No, it will just allow for more police to capture theives, killer and drug pushers.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Dark_Grey on 29 May, 2014, 15:14
No, it will just allow for more police to capture theives, killer and drug pushers. I think you severely underestimate how much revenue traffic tickets bring in.
Comment icon #18 Posted by paperdyer on 29 May, 2014, 20:25
I think you severely underestimate how much revenue traffic tickets bring in. Maybe as I've never gotten a speeding ticket. I've been doing a good bit of travelling the last 3 years going back and forth from our main office to the plant. Three hours each way on I-77 and I-20.. I very rarely see anyone pulled over getting a ticket, unless it's a holiday weekend coming up. Cops pass me when I'm already over the limit! No lights or sirens on. I'm sure some sates write more speeding tickets than others. Virginia comes to mind. But I'm sure it's a big enough piece of revenue, the stares will repalc... [More]
Comment icon #19 Posted by Junior Chubb on 29 May, 2014, 23:46
I think you severely underestimate how much revenue traffic tickets bring in. It would be interesting to know the effects of the drop in revenue. As the change will be gradual I am sure the balance will be offset through new 'revenue generating' crimes. I think the changes to the motor insurance and especially the motor repair/maintenance industries will also be very negative.
Comment icon #20 Posted by Hobbit Feet on 30 May, 2014, 12:02
Maybe they'll have identification software aboard that will lock the doors and take wanted criminals straight to the police station.
Comment icon #21 Posted by seeder on 30 May, 2014, 13:55
Personally, I like the 'driving' aspect to cars. If I dont want to physically drive then I can just take a bus, train or taxi...hands free driving! I do get concerns of a future world where none of us have any control over our lives
Comment icon #22 Posted by mfrmboy on 30 May, 2014, 17:19
Cool! Self driving cars paired with solar roadways, AWESOME !!!! The future is coming, I hope to see it in my life time.
Comment icon #23 Posted by Socio on 31 May, 2014, 21:44
I think you severely underestimate how much revenue traffic tickets bring in. Yes indeed it, is a multi-billion dollar a year industry; http://www.statisticbrain.com/driving-citation-statistics/ It is why most police forces have a designated traffic enforcement team or teams.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Realm on 1 June, 2014, 3:29
This is the beginning of big lawsuit payouts for Google vehicles at fault. You know it, I know it, and the Lawyers know it.

Weird machine enables a dog to pet its owner
6-26-2016
A bizarre contraption called the 'Affectionator' gives a dog the chance to pat its owner on the head.
Arctic turning bright pink color due to algae
6-26-2016
The pristine white of the Arctic landscape seems to have been turning a rather unusual shade of pink.
Batman would be 'ill-equipped' say scientists
6-25-2016
Researchers at the University of Leicester have determined that Batman would be rubbish in real life.
Scottish UFO plaque replaced after 24 years
6-25-2016
The plaque is located at the site where Bob Taylor famously encountered a strange object back in 1979.
Real-life dire wolves
Posted 6-26-2016 | 3 comments
The huge wolves in Game of Thrones actually existed 300,000 years ago.

Teaching a gorilla to talk
Posted 6-25-2016 | 8 comments
A western lowland gorilla named Koko was taught from an early age to use sign language.

Man puts 496 straws in his mouth
Posted 6-24-2016 | 3 comments
Guinness Rishi manages to cram 496 drinking straws in to his mouth at the same time.

Space is trying to kill us
Posted 6-23-2016 | 1 comment
How do astronauts survive in space and what happens after they return to Earth ?

Jupiter: Into the unknown
Posted 6-22-2016 | 1 comment
A dramatic look at Jupiter ahead of the arrival of the Juno spacecraft next month.

Not in our jurisdiction

Christmas Day haunting
4-6-2016 | London, UK

The funeral director
3-30-2016 | Hebburn, England

A strange sighting in Spain
3-30-2016 | Albatera, Spain

Dust patterns on basement floor
3-27-2016 | Smithville, Texas