Saturday, May 28, 2016

Google to build its own self-driving cars

Posted on Wednesday, 28 May, 2014 | Comment icon 25 comments

Would you sit in a car that drives itself ? Image Credit: Google / YouTube
The search giant is set to begin manufacturing its own custom cars instead of adapting existing ones.
Google's remarkable automated vehicles have advanced to such an extent that the company is now going to start building its own original design for the cars with the hope of seeing them undergo wide scale testing within as little as one year.

"We're really excited about this vehicle - it's something that will allow us to really push the capabilities of self driving technology, and understand the limitations," said project director Chris Urmson.

The new design resembles that of a smart car but with a flat cartoon-like front. Capable of seating two passengers, the vehicles will be electric with no controls aside from a stop and go button.

Because the technology is still new the cars will be limited to 25mph to begin with, however as the software is perfected this is likely to rise to rival regular road speeds in the not-too-distant future.

The vehicle's designers also believe that by eliminating driver error the technology will go a long way towards revolutionizing road safety for everyone.

"I think it has the potential to be the most important safety technology that the auto industry has ever seen," said Ron Medford, former deputer director of the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Source: BBC News | Comments (25)

Tags: Self Driving Car, Google

Comment icon #16 Posted by paperdyer on 29 May, 2014, 15:11
No, it will just allow for more police to capture theives, killer and drug pushers.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Dark_Grey on 29 May, 2014, 15:14
I think you severely underestimate how much revenue traffic tickets bring in.
Comment icon #18 Posted by paperdyer on 29 May, 2014, 20:25
Maybe as I've never gotten a speeding ticket. I've been doing a good bit of travelling the last 3 years going back and forth from our main office to the plant. Three hours each way on I-77 and I-20.. I very rarely see anyone pulled over getting a ticket, unless it's a holiday weekend coming up. Cops pass me when I'm already over the limit! No lights or sirens on. I'm sure some sates write more speeding tickets than others. Virginia comes to mind. But I'm sure it's a big enough piece of revenue, the stares will repalce it wills or some kind of new highway or fue... [More]
Comment icon #19 Posted by Junior Chubb on 29 May, 2014, 23:46
It would be interesting to know the effects of the drop in revenue. As the change will be gradual I am sure the balance will be offset through new 'revenue generating' crimes. I think the changes to the motor insurance and especially the motor repair/maintenance industries will also be very negative.
Comment icon #20 Posted by Hobbit Feet on 30 May, 2014, 12:02
Maybe they'll have identification software aboard that will lock the doors and take wanted criminals straight to the police station.
Comment icon #21 Posted by seeder on 30 May, 2014, 13:55
Personally, I like the 'driving' aspect to cars. If I dont want to physically drive then I can just take a bus, train or taxi...hands free driving! I do get concerns of a future world where none of us have any control over our lives
Comment icon #22 Posted by mfrmboy on 30 May, 2014, 17:19
Cool! Self driving cars paired with solar roadways, AWESOME !!!! The future is coming, I hope to see it in my life time. :)
Comment icon #23 Posted by Socio on 31 May, 2014, 21:44
Yes indeed it, is a multi-billion dollar a year industry; It is why most police forces have a designated traffic enforcement team or teams.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Realm on 1 June, 2014, 3:29
This is the beginning of big lawsuit payouts for Google vehicles at fault. You know it, I know it, and the Lawyers know it.

Dr Heimlich performs the Heimlich manoeuver
5-28-2016
The man who invented the anti-choking technique has for the first time used it himself to save someone.
Government study finds cellphone-cancer link
5-27-2016
The findings suggest that exposure to cellphone radiation may cause brain and heart cancers in rats.
Giant squid may grow larger than a school bus
5-27-2016
A new study has suggested that giant squid may actually grow to be much larger than previously believed.
Aristotle's lost tomb has finally been found
5-26-2016
The long-sought final resting place of the Greek philosopher has been unearthed at a site in Macedonia.
Simulating Mars atop a volcano
Posted 5-28-2016 | 1 comment
Six scientists have been living an isolated existence to simulate a mission to Mars.

Seeking new antibiotics under the sea
Posted 5-27-2016 | 2 comments
Scientists are seeking new treatments for antibiotic-resistant infections beneath the waves.

World's first mile-long pizza
Posted 5-26-2016 | 1 comment
Italian chefs have produced a single gigantic pizza that stretches for an entire mile.

What happened before the Big Bang ?
Posted 5-22-2016 | 4 comments
Is it possible to find out what took place before our universe came in to existence ?

Prehistoric creatures that still exist
Posted 5-21-2016 | 1 comment
A look at some remarkable animal species that have survived for millions of years.

Not in our jurisdiction

Christmas Day haunting
4-6-2016 | London, UK

The funeral director
3-30-2016 | Hebburn, England

A strange sighting in Spain
3-30-2016 | Albatera, Spain

Dust patterns on basement floor
3-27-2016 | Smithville, Texas