Sunday, June 26, 2016

Blonde women attacked by crows in London

Posted on Thursday, 5 June, 2014 | Comment icon 42 comments

The crows have been making life difficult for park regulars. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 R. Altenkamp
A group of real-life angry birds has been terrorizing fair-haired visitors to London's Eltham Park South.
In scenes reminiscent of those in Alfred Hitchcock's 1963 movie "The Birds", the otherwise ideallic park has been home to a spate of attacks from hostile crows that appear to have a grudge against women with blonde hair.

Some park regulars have taken to avoiding the area completely while joggers have changed their route to avoid the avian assailants. A similar problem was reported in the park back in 2010.

"The bird swooped down very fast, landed on my head and started pecking away," said jogger Sarah Green. "It was the shock of it: it felt quite big and strong. I was shaking my head and flapping my arms and trying to get it off me."

According to avian expert Paul Standcliffe, the reason the birds have been attacking people with blonde hair is because they may have had a bad experience with an animal sporting similarly colored hair or fur in the past, such as a Labrador.

"It's put me off running around the park," said Green. "I think I'm going to stick to the roads."

Source: IB Times | Comments (42)

Tags: London, Crows

Comment icon #33 Posted by Hugh on 6 June, 2014, 5:33
I may be wrong...but I don't think so.The bird pictured in that link looks like a raven to me..not a crow. I think you're right!
Comment icon #34 Posted by Lilly on 6 June, 2014, 10:10
Comment icon #35 Posted by coldethyl on 7 June, 2014, 0:55
I am NOT going there without a wig.
Comment icon #36 Posted by sam_comm on 7 June, 2014, 1:06
Crows and Ravens like bright/shiny objects. Seems reasonable they might also like bright/shiny nesting material. Crows are very intelligent animals, they can even distinguish and remember facial features. ''As with our campus experiment, the local crows screamed, dove, and followed anyone wearing his mask while ignoring those wearing any of the other five masks.'' See: http://www.popsci.co...lly-smarter-you So the theory that a familiy of crows had a bad experience involving similar color of hair or furs makes sens.
Comment icon #37 Posted by hellwyr on 7 June, 2014, 8:57
crows also can differentiate social structures, every group has a different structure, also they only can differentate it by hearing anoth srow "speaking" I think this particular group hates blonds and want to eridicate them xd....
Comment icon #38 Posted by Lilly on 7 June, 2014, 10:37
I think this particular group hates blonds and want to eridicate them xd.... It could very well be this, especially if the crows are actually attacking vs just pulling out a few hairs. Perhaps someone blonde was mean to this group of crows?
Comment icon #39 Posted by Eldorado on 7 June, 2014, 13:57
Perhaps someone blonde was mean to this group of crows? Those 'Children of the Damned'? Personally, I reckon they are jealous cos blondes have more fun and there's no featherdressers to dye their feathers for them
Comment icon #40 Posted by SaraT on 8 June, 2014, 9:52
I think this is probably the case, it is spring after all. Crows are known to be attracted to bright shiny thngs...why not fixin's for a nice shiny nest? Lilly is undoubtedly right. Because of my raven hair, I'm fond of bright, shiny diamonds, gold, silver, precious stones, jewelry.
Comment icon #41 Posted by kosciuszko303 on 20 June, 2014, 11:18
a tennis racket would come in very handy me thinks...
Comment icon #42 Posted by Rei4ever on 4 August, 2014, 15:13
Animal racism lol

Batman would be 'ill-equipped' say scientists
6-25-2016
Researchers at the University of Leicester have determined that Batman would be rubbish in real life.
Scottish UFO plaque replaced after 24 years
6-25-2016
The plaque is located at the site where Bob Taylor famously encountered a strange object back in 1979.
Russian robot escapes, causes traffic jam
6-25-2016
An experimental interactive robot known as Promobot IR77 has been up to quite a bit of mischief recently.
Bipedal bear sighted again in New Jersey
6-24-2016
A bear known as Pedals has become something of a celebrity thanks to his habit of walking on two legs.
Teaching a gorilla to talk
Posted 6-25-2016 | 8 comments
A western lowland gorilla named Koko was taught from an early age to use sign language.

Man puts 496 straws in his mouth
Posted 6-24-2016 | 3 comments
Guinness Rishi manages to cram 496 drinking straws in to his mouth at the same time.

Space is trying to kill us
Posted 6-23-2016 | 1 comment
How do astronauts survive in space and what happens after they return to Earth ?

Jupiter: Into the unknown
Posted 6-22-2016 | 1 comment
A dramatic look at Jupiter ahead of the arrival of the Juno spacecraft next month.

Adam Savage's medieval armor
Posted 6-21-2016 | 1 comment
The former MythBuster checks out armor from the Jeff Bridges film Seventh Son.

Not in our jurisdiction

Christmas Day haunting
4-6-2016 | London, UK

The funeral director
3-30-2016 | Hebburn, England

A strange sighting in Spain
3-30-2016 | Albatera, Spain

Dust patterns on basement floor
3-27-2016 | Smithville, Texas