Saturday, September 20, 2014   |   3,367 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Blonde women attacked by crows in London

Posted on Thursday, 5 June, 2014 | Comment icon 42 comments

The crows have been making life difficult for park regulars. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 R. Altenkamp

A group of real-life angry birds has been terrorizing fair-haired visitors to London's Eltham Park South.

In scenes reminiscent of those in Alfred Hitchcock's 1963 movie "The Birds", the otherwise ideallic park has been home to a spate of attacks from hostile crows that appear to have a grudge against women with blonde hair.

Some park regulars have taken to avoiding the area completely while joggers have changed their route to avoid the avian assailants. A similar problem was reported in the park back in 2010.

"The bird swooped down very fast, landed on my head and started pecking away," said jogger Sarah Green. "It was the shock of it: it felt quite big and strong. I was shaking my head and flapping my arms and trying to get it off me."

According to avian expert Paul Standcliffe, the reason the birds have been attacking people with blonde hair is because they may have had a bad experience with an animal sporting similarly colored hair or fur in the past, such as a Labrador.

"It's put me off running around the park," said Green. "I think I'm going to stick to the roads."

Source: IB Times | Comments (42)

Tags: London, Crows

Comment icon #33 Posted by Hugh on 6 June, 2014, 5:33
I think you're right!
Comment icon #34 Posted by Lilly on 6 June, 2014, 10:10
Crows and Ravens like bright/shiny objects. Seems reasonable they might also like bright/shiny nesting material.
Comment icon #35 Posted by coldethyl on 7 June, 2014, 0:55
I am NOT going there without a wig.
Comment icon #36 Posted by sam_comm on 7 June, 2014, 1:06
Crows are very intelligent animals, they can even distinguish and remember facial features. See: So the theory that a familiy of crows had a bad experience involving similar color of hair or furs makes sens.
Comment icon #37 Posted by hellwyr on 7 June, 2014, 8:57
crows also can differentiate social structures, every group has a different structure, also they only can differentate it by hearing anoth srow "speaking" I think this particular group hates blonds and want to eridicate them xd....
Comment icon #38 Posted by Lilly on 7 June, 2014, 10:37
It could very well be this, especially if the crows are actually attacking vs just pulling out a few hairs. Perhaps someone blonde was mean to this group of crows?
Comment icon #39 Posted by Eldorado on 7 June, 2014, 13:57
Those 'Children of the Damned'? Personally, I reckon they are jealous cos blondes have more fun and there's no featherdressers to dye their feathers for them
Comment icon #40 Posted by SaraT on 8 June, 2014, 9:52
Lilly is undoubtedly right. Because of my raven hair, I'm fond of bright, shiny diamonds, gold, silver, precious stones, jewelry.
Comment icon #41 Posted by kosciuszko303 on 20 June, 2014, 11:18
a tennis racket would come in very handy me thinks...
Comment icon #42 Posted by Rei4ever on 4 August, 2014, 15:13