Monday, March 27, 2017

Blonde women attacked by crows in London

Posted on Thursday, 5 June, 2014 | Comment icon 42 comments

The crows have been making life difficult for park regulars. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 R. Altenkamp
A group of real-life angry birds has been terrorizing fair-haired visitors to London's Eltham Park South.
In scenes reminiscent of those in Alfred Hitchcock's 1963 movie "The Birds", the otherwise ideallic park has been home to a spate of attacks from hostile crows that appear to have a grudge against women with blonde hair.

Some park regulars have taken to avoiding the area completely while joggers have changed their route to avoid the avian assailants. A similar problem was reported in the park back in 2010.

"The bird swooped down very fast, landed on my head and started pecking away," said jogger Sarah Green. "It was the shock of it: it felt quite big and strong. I was shaking my head and flapping my arms and trying to get it off me."

According to avian expert Paul Standcliffe, the reason the birds have been attacking people with blonde hair is because they may have had a bad experience with an animal sporting similarly colored hair or fur in the past, such as a Labrador.

"It's put me off running around the park," said Green. "I think I'm going to stick to the roads."

Source: IB Times | Comments (42)

Tags: London, Crows

Comment icon #33 Posted by Hugh on 6 June, 2014, 5:33
I may be wrong...but I don't think so.The bird pictured in that link looks like a raven to me..not a crow. I think you're right!
Comment icon #34 Posted by Lilly on 6 June, 2014, 10:10
Comment icon #35 Posted by coldethyl on 7 June, 2014, 0:55
I am NOT going there without a wig.
Comment icon #36 Posted by sam_comm on 7 June, 2014, 1:06
Crows and Ravens like bright/shiny objects. Seems reasonable they might also like bright/shiny nesting material. Crows are very intelligent animals, they can even distinguish and remember facial features. ''As with our campus experiment, the local crows screamed, dove, and followed anyone wearing his mask while ignoring those wearing any of the other five masks.'' See: http://www.popsci.co...lly-smarter-you So the theory that a familiy of crows had a bad experience involving similar color of hair or furs makes sens.
Comment icon #37 Posted by hellwyr on 7 June, 2014, 8:57
crows also can differentiate social structures, every group has a different structure, also they only can differentate it by hearing anoth srow "speaking" I think this particular group hates blonds and want to eridicate them xd....
Comment icon #38 Posted by Lilly on 7 June, 2014, 10:37
I think this particular group hates blonds and want to eridicate them xd.... It could very well be this, especially if the crows are actually attacking vs just pulling out a few hairs. Perhaps someone blonde was mean to this group of crows?
Comment icon #39 Posted by Eldorado on 7 June, 2014, 13:57
Perhaps someone blonde was mean to this group of crows? Those 'Children of the Damned'? Personally, I reckon they are jealous cos blondes have more fun and there's no featherdressers to dye their feathers for them
Comment icon #40 Posted by SaraT on 8 June, 2014, 9:52
I think this is probably the case, it is spring after all. Crows are known to be attracted to bright shiny thngs...why not fixin's for a nice shiny nest? Lilly is undoubtedly right. Because of my raven hair, I'm fond of bright, shiny diamonds, gold, silver, precious stones, jewelry.
Comment icon #41 Posted by kosciuszko303 on 20 June, 2014, 11:18
a tennis racket would come in very handy me thinks...
Comment icon #42 Posted by Rei4ever on 4 August, 2014, 15:13
Animal racism lol

1,200ft-wide UFO reported over Gulf of Mexico
3-26-2017
A crew member of an offshore supply ship claimed the object was 'five times the size' of his vessel.
Removing 'retired' cells could reverse ageing
3-26-2017
It may one day be possible for over-65s to visit a clinic every few years to receive a rejuvenation shot.
Four-legged chicken hatches out in Brazil
3-26-2017
Despite having two additional limbs, the young chick, which wasn't expected to live, is doing quite well.
Hair salon is offering snake neck massages
3-25-2017
The Haar Mode Team salon in Dresden is offering customers a rather unique type of massage service.
Featured book

By Guy Lyon Playfair
A look at the story of Peggy Hodgson and her four children who, between 1977 and 1979, were at the center of one of the most terrifying poltergeist cases ever documented.
Most watched animal on YouTube
Posted 3-26-2017 | 2 comments
Maru the cat has accumulated more views than any other animal on the video sharing site.

ALMA's 100-ton antennas
Posted 3-25-2017 | 0 comments
A special vehicle is used to carry ALMA's ultra-heavy antennas in to place in the desert.

How do we find lost satellites ?
Posted 3-24-2017 | 0 comments
A look at the methods scientists use to locate spacecraft with which contact has been lost.

Searching for Japanese bats
Posted 3-23-2017 | 0 comments
The Rimizu limestone caves in Japan are an ideal place to look for hibernating bats.

ISS astronauts answer questions
Posted 3-22-2017 | 0 comments
Shane Kimbrough and Peggy Whitson discuss life in space and what they've been up to.

My nightly occurrences