Thursday, July 27, 2017

Chinese man is covered in 326,000 bees

Posted on Wednesday, 11 June, 2014 | Comment icon 11 comments

Bingguo has kept bees for over three decades. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Hola Mundo
Beekeeper Gao Bingguo has broken the world record after being covered in a massive 33kg of bees.
The 54-year-old from Shandong Province is no stranger to bees having kept them for over 34 years, but having several hundred thousand of them piled on top of you is something that not even Bingguo could truly prepare for.

Organisers began the record attempt by placing a number of queen bees on to his body which would help to attract the worker bees.

Boxes of bees were then dumped at his feet in increasingly large quantities, slowly crawling up and on to his body over the course of two-and-a-half hours.

By the end of the attempt Bingguo had over 326,000 of the insects crawling all over him but despite being stung around 2,000 times he managed to survive the ordeal and claim his record certificate.

Source: Metro | Comments (11)

Tags: Bees

Comment icon #2 Posted by QuiteContrary on 10 June, 2014, 14:00
326,000. Do the bees count off or something?
Comment icon #3 Posted by Junior Chubb on 11 June, 2014, 10:17
326,000. Do the bees count off or something? I was wondering how they estimate the number of Bees, also would they take away the ones on the floor?
Comment icon #4 Posted by bubblykiss on 11 June, 2014, 10:52
Like most cynical occidentals I am only impressed by 327,000 bees or more swarming on one living human being. I can see 326,000 bees covering somebody any day or the week around here.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Leonardo on 11 June, 2014, 13:06
Surely he now has two world records, the second being the new holder of the most pointless world record in the world?
Comment icon #6 Posted by paperdyer on 11 June, 2014, 14:58
Though not stated, I'd think these were probably honey bees. They are the most peaceful of the the bees that I know of. I'd like to see him try that with the "Yellow Jacket" variety of bees. These aggressive SOBs not only sting you for the pleasure of it, but attack in swarms and keep stinging you. I unfortunately had a first-hand encounter with them in my back yard many years ago. They were nesting in the area my dog liked to "use". The Yellow Jackets moved in the area overnight. My dog and I disturbed them. Not only did they get us there, but they chased us into the house. One even crawled u... [More]
Comment icon #7 Posted by ancient astronaut on 11 June, 2014, 15:15
Talk about glutton for punishment. Over 2000 stings, I'd be dead.
Comment icon #8 Posted by alfonso on 11 June, 2014, 20:59
you cannot bee serious!
Comment icon #9 Posted by Silent Trinity on 13 June, 2014, 9:25
why the hell would you want to do it? There are some records that should be left untouched and this ranks highly amongst them..... I have to be really cynical i'm afraid and say I am not impressed and I think the guy is an idiot
Comment icon #10 Posted by Itchy-Brain on 13 June, 2014, 16:59
Now, there's a different meaning to "catchin' a buzz" :/
Comment icon #11 Posted by Realm on 14 June, 2014, 7:26
Let's see. 10 bees per square inch multiplied by height times width. Yep, 326,000 bees.

California residents report 'Chupacabra'
7-27-2017
Alleged sightings of the cryptozoological creature have sparked concerns over the safety of local pets.
Our atoms came from far across the universe
7-27-2017
A new study has revealed that half of the atoms that make up our bodies have come from beyond the galaxy.
Private firm set to land on the Moon in 2019
7-27-2017
Astrobotic is aiming to land its unmanned Peregrine lunar lander on the surface of the Moon in two years' time.
3,500-year-old lunch box found in Swiss Alps
7-26-2017
An extraordinarily well-preserved lunch box has been discovered on Switzerland's Lotschberg mountain.
Octopus goes for a walk
Posted 7-27-2017 | 3 comments
As this video shows, not all octopus' limit their exploration to the bottom of the sea.

Augmented reality
Posted 7-26-2017 | 1 comment
A look at a new technology that superimposes computer-generated images over the real world.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI