Wednesday, August 20, 2014   |   5,284 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Chinese man is covered in 326,000 bees

Posted on Wednesday, 11 June, 2014 | Comment icon 12 comments

Bingguo has kept bees for over three decades. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Hola Mundo

Beekeeper Gao Bingguo has broken the world record after being covered in a massive 33kg of bees.

The 54-year-old from Shandong Province is no stranger to bees having kept them for over 34 years, but having several hundred thousand of them piled on top of you is something that not even Bingguo could truly prepare for.

Organisers began the record attempt by placing a number of queen bees on to his body which would help to attract the worker bees.

Boxes of bees were then dumped at his feet in increasingly large quantities, slowly crawling up and on to his body over the course of two-and-a-half hours.

By the end of the attempt Bingguo had over 326,000 of the insects crawling all over him but despite being stung around 2,000 times he managed to survive the ordeal and claim his record certificate.

Source: Metro | Comments (12)

Tags: Bees

Comment icon #3 Posted by Junior Chubb on 11 June, 2014, 10:17
I was wondering how they estimate the number of Bees, also would they take away the ones on the floor?
Comment icon #4 Posted by bubblykiss on 11 June, 2014, 10:52
Like most cynical occidentals I am only impressed by 327,000 bees or more swarming on one living human being. I can see 326,000 bees covering somebody any day or the week around here.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Leonardo on 11 June, 2014, 13:06
Surely he now has two world records, the second being the new holder of the most pointless world record in the world?
Comment icon #6 Posted by paperdyer on 11 June, 2014, 14:58
Though not stated, I'd think these were probably honey bees. They are the most peaceful of the the bees that I know of. I'd like to see him try that with the "Yellow Jacket" variety of bees. These aggressive SOBs not only sting you for the pleasure of it, but attack in swarms and keep stinging you. I unfortunately had a first-hand encounter with them in my back yard many years ago. They were nesting in the area my dog liked to "use". The Yellow Jackets moved in the area overnight. My dog and I disturbed them. Not only did they get us there, but they chased us... [More]
Comment icon #7 Posted by ancient astronaut on 11 June, 2014, 15:15
Talk about glutton for punishment. Over 2000 stings, I'd be dead.
Comment icon #8 Posted by alfonso on 11 June, 2014, 20:59
you cannot bee serious!
Comment icon #9 Posted by Ashyne on 12 June, 2014, 1:04
Looks like a mud statue.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Silent Trinity on 13 June, 2014, 9:25
why the hell would you want to do it? There are some records that should be left untouched and this ranks highly amongst them..... I have to be really cynical i'm afraid and say I am not impressed and I think the guy is an idiot
Comment icon #11 Posted by Itchy-Brain on 13 June, 2014, 16:59
Now, there's a different meaning to "catchin' a buzz" :/
Comment icon #12 Posted by Realm on 14 June, 2014, 7:26
Let's see. 10 bees per square inch multiplied by height times width. Yep, 326,000 bees.

Intertwined