Saturday, August 19, 2017

NASA may send quadcopter to Titan

Posted on Friday, 20 June, 2014 | Comment icon 6 comments

Titan is one of the most fascinating places in the solar system. Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech
The space agency may use a drone to help explore the terrain of Saturn's enigmatic moon.
Two days ago NASA's Cassini probe once again performed a flyby of Titan as part of its ongoing mission to learn as much as possible about Saturn and its moons. In this particular case scientists are hoping to determine how the temperature varies by altitude in Titan's atmosphere, in particular in its polar regions.

Looking ahead however there is only so much that Cassini can find out from space. To properly explore the surface of this surprisingly Earth-like world there are plans in motion to design, build and launch a drone to Titan that will be able to fly around in its atmosphere and take photographs.

Originally outlined by NASA scientist Larry Matthies, the plan would entail having a 'mothership' lander or balloon that the drone could dock at in order to recharge.

"For a lander mission, it enables detailed studies of a large area around the lander, providing context for the micro-images and samples; with precision landing near a lake, it potentially enables sampling solid and liquid material from one lander," said Matthies.

"For a balloon mission, it enables surface investigation and sampling with global reach without requiring a separate lander or that the balloon be brought to the surface, which has potential for major cost savings and risk reduction."

While the concept sounds ideal it may be some time before such a mission can be feasibly launched. NASA believes that the development of both the spacecraft and its associated technologies could take until the 2040s at the earliest.

Source: Russia Today | Comments (6)

Tags: Saturn, Titan

Comment icon #1 Posted by CRYSiiSx2 on 20 June, 2014, 13:35
We need a nother "space race" for Titan. 2040s? I'll I'm only 26 but I'll probably be dead by then!
Comment icon #2 Posted by Calibeliever on 20 June, 2014, 14:15
I think this would also be an excellent idea for Mars. Is Mars' atmosphere thick enough to support winged flight?
Comment icon #3 Posted by CuriousRey on 20 June, 2014, 16:57
I really hope this happens in my lifetime, so many interesting concepts have been discussed regarding the exploration of space recently. I feel like i'm going to miss them all, by the time they're implemented I may be long gone.
Comment icon #4 Posted by plaguedmedusa on 21 June, 2014, 2:51
I wish I was born in the future, this fascinates me. I want to be one of the people to go and live on another planet. I think that would be awesome.
Comment icon #5 Posted by FizzPuff on 21 June, 2014, 23:19
Wonder how this will pan out. Titan is HUGE.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Silent Trinity on 24 June, 2014, 8:21
Definitely an ambitious project! If they pull that off it will be an amazing feat of engineering and planning. Good luck to them!

'Apocalyptic' cloud hangs over town in Brazil
8-19-2017
Residents of Teixeira de Freitas were treated to a rather unusual and unnerving spectacle this week.
Mysterious doors appear across Nova Scotia
8-19-2017
The freestanding doors have turned up in several towns, leaving local residents scratching their heads.
Can the Yellowstone supervolcano be stopped ?
8-19-2017
NASA has come up with an ambitious new plan to cool down the supervolcano by using it as an energy source.
Mars rovers to focus on the search for life
8-18-2017
Two upcoming Mars rover missions will attempt to determine if the Red Planet was once home to life.
Why don't we use our parent's names?
Posted 8-19-2017 | 2 comments
Why do we call our parents mom and dad instead of using their actual names ?

Adam Savage meets an alien
Posted 8-18-2017 | 2 comments
The former MythBuster checks out the animatronic alien from the movie Alien Covenant.

Concrete blocks chest smash
Posted 8-17-2017 | 0 comments
Multiple world record holder Ali Bahcetepe has 16 concrete blocks smashed on his chest.

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY

Shapeshifter
8-18-2017 | Cranbrook British Columbia

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia