Tuesday, April 25, 2017

NASA may send quadcopter to Titan

Posted on Friday, 20 June, 2014 | Comment icon 6 comments

Titan is one of the most fascinating places in the solar system. Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech
The space agency may use a drone to help explore the terrain of Saturn's enigmatic moon.
Two days ago NASA's Cassini probe once again performed a flyby of Titan as part of its ongoing mission to learn as much as possible about Saturn and its moons. In this particular case scientists are hoping to determine how the temperature varies by altitude in Titan's atmosphere, in particular in its polar regions.

Looking ahead however there is only so much that Cassini can find out from space. To properly explore the surface of this surprisingly Earth-like world there are plans in motion to design, build and launch a drone to Titan that will be able to fly around in its atmosphere and take photographs.

Originally outlined by NASA scientist Larry Matthies, the plan would entail having a 'mothership' lander or balloon that the drone could dock at in order to recharge.

"For a lander mission, it enables detailed studies of a large area around the lander, providing context for the micro-images and samples; with precision landing near a lake, it potentially enables sampling solid and liquid material from one lander," said Matthies.

"For a balloon mission, it enables surface investigation and sampling with global reach without requiring a separate lander or that the balloon be brought to the surface, which has potential for major cost savings and risk reduction."

While the concept sounds ideal it may be some time before such a mission can be feasibly launched. NASA believes that the development of both the spacecraft and its associated technologies could take until the 2040s at the earliest.

Source: Russia Today | Comments (6)

Tags: Saturn, Titan

Comment icon #1 Posted by CRYSiiSx2 on 20 June, 2014, 13:35
We need a nother "space race" for Titan. 2040s? I'll I'm only 26 but I'll probably be dead by then!
Comment icon #2 Posted by Calibeliever on 20 June, 2014, 14:15
I think this would also be an excellent idea for Mars. Is Mars' atmosphere thick enough to support winged flight?
Comment icon #3 Posted by CuriousRey on 20 June, 2014, 16:57
I really hope this happens in my lifetime, so many interesting concepts have been discussed regarding the exploration of space recently. I feel like i'm going to miss them all, by the time they're implemented I may be long gone.
Comment icon #4 Posted by plaguedmedusa on 21 June, 2014, 2:51
I wish I was born in the future, this fascinates me. I want to be one of the people to go and live on another planet. I think that would be awesome.
Comment icon #5 Posted by FizzPuff on 21 June, 2014, 23:19
Wonder how this will pan out. Titan is HUGE.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Silent Trinity on 24 June, 2014, 8:21
Definitely an ambitious project! If they pull that off it will be an amazing feat of engineering and planning. Good luck to them!

New 'Kitty Hawk' flying car footage revealed
4-24-2017
The company behind the futuristic aerial vehicle was financially backed by Google founder Larry Page.
Mystery human species had an advanced brain
4-24-2017
Homo naledi's brain may not have been as big as that of a modern human, but it was still sophisticated.
Voynich manuscript 'written in two languages'
4-24-2017
Russian scholars have been making headway in deciphering the pages of the mysterious medieval text.
Japan's 'burning pavement' mystery solved
4-23-2017
Authorities in Japan have determined how a stretch of city pavement has been burning people's feet.
Boiling water meets freezing air
Posted 4-24-2017 | 1 comment
A look at what happens when you throw boiling water out in to the freezing Russian winter air.

Cave-dwelling spiders
Posted 4-23-2017 | 3 comments
A new species of spider has been found living in caves and mine shafts in Mexico.

The human bridge of musicality
Posted 4-22-2017 | 1 comment
A look at how the human brain perceives the concept of music and how it is processed.

Grandpa's visit
4-14-2017 | Portugal

Mysterious dog
4-14-2017 | Utah

A night to remember
4-14-2017 | Philippines

Am I going crazy ?
3-30-2017 | South Africa

Sleep paralysis or my father ?
3-30-2017 | Los Angeles