Friday, October 20, 2017

Humans share dozens of universal emotions

Posted on Friday, 27 June, 2014 | Comment icon 12 comments

Happiness is a universal emotion. Image Credit: sxc.hu
There are at least 30 facial expressions for emotions that can be recognized anywhere in the world.
While we tend to take it for granted that we can determine if someone is happy, sad or excited no matter what part of the world they are from, not all emotions can be universally understood.

If you encountered a remote Amazon tribe for example you may have no problem understanding expressions of excitement or happiness, but emotions such as sympathy, desire and coyness tend not to translate very well across cultures.

In a recent study psychologist Daniel Cordaro and his colleagues attempted to determine just how many human emotions truly are universal by recording a number of emotional reactions from volunteers in different continents and then showing them to people from different countries to see which they could recognize.

The results indicated at least 30 emotions that could be understood anywhere in the world.

"Each emotion boils down to a story," said Cordaro. "Culture teaches us the stories under which we use these emotions, but look underneath them, there will be some theme."

Source: Live Science | Comments (12)

Tags: Emotions, Expressions

Comment icon #3 Posted by Frank Merton on 27 June, 2014, 12:39
In my more ambitious younger years I set out to catalog virtues and vices and emotions and sensations in the languages I knew. There was a Chinese word that I could think of no Vietnamese or English equivalent to, and which I see English translations of Confucius put as "righteousness." Surely it is not seen as an emotion but as a kind of catchall for being virtuous. Not being native Chinese I have no gut feeling for the word, and when I have questioned Chinese I have gotten varying responses, but basically it means a generalized tendency or desire to do what is right. Well I suppose "goodness... [More]
Comment icon #4 Posted by maximusnow on 27 June, 2014, 14:48
The problem, I do not want to share emotions with any one. Emotions are like chemicals, if you mix them, they can explode.
Comment icon #5 Posted by hammerclaw on 27 June, 2014, 15:08
There are always new words to discover in languages, other than one's own. English is known as the great borrower because it's speakers constantly incorporate words from other languages into it's vocabulary.
Comment icon #6 Posted by paperdyer on 27 June, 2014, 15:23
Well, all salespeople use the universal "trust me!" smile.
Comment icon #7 Posted by redhen on 27 June, 2014, 16:16
The problem, I do not want to share emotions with any one. They're meant to be shared, that's we (and other animals) have then. Emotions are functional, used to express mental states to others.
Comment icon #8 Posted by redhen on 27 June, 2014, 16:21
There was a Chinese word that I could think of no Vietnamese or English equivalent to, and which I see English translations of Confucius put as "righteousness." Surely it is not seen as an emotion but as a kind of catchall for being virtuous. There is a Japanese word that is used to describe a emotion that is unique to their culture; "There is amae everywhere in the world, but it is interesting that in the Japanese language there is a concrete word to describe it, there is even a verb amaeru that means “depend on the benevolence of others”."
Comment icon #9 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 28 June, 2014, 2:32
Most human facial and body language is universal. I remenber how Hmong children had no difficulty playing charades. That sort of silent communication is ancient.
Comment icon #10 Posted by redhen on 28 June, 2014, 2:37
Most human facial and body language is universal. It's also an old and established field of science now.
Comment icon #11 Posted by maximusnow on 30 June, 2014, 14:53
They're meant to be shared, that's we (and other animals) have then. Emotions are functional, used to express mental states to others. This could be a violation of privacy. If say to you, I am ok and you see sadness on my face, now I am a liar and you are being nosey by investigating it further. I think women communicate emotionally and men communicate factually. Examples: A Wife asks: How do you like your steak? Emotional translation = I always have to decide where we eat and if you complain about the cost, I will stab you with this fork! A Husband asks : How do you like your steak? Emotional... [More]
Comment icon #12 Posted by Frank Merton on 30 June, 2014, 15:01
Most of us are pretty skillful at hiding our emotions, and sometimes this is best, particularly the emotion of shock at something a son or daughter tells us.

Huge 50km-long cave discovered on the Moon
10-19-2017
The Japanese space agency JAXA has announced the discovery of a cave hidden beneath the lunar surface.
When you die you are aware that you are dead
10-19-2017
A new study has suggested that the mind can still be active even after the body stops showing signs of life.
Google invents an AI that learns on its own
10-18-2017
The search giant has developed an artificial intelligence capable of learning without human intervention.
Saturn's rings are raining down methane
10-18-2017
NASA has revealed the discovery of methane and other chemicals in the gas giant's upper atmosphere.
Recreating your face from DNA
Posted 10-18-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to determine someone's appearance from a sample of their DNA ?

Schlieren imaging in color
Posted 10-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at Schlieren imaging - a technique that can help to visualize tiny differences in air.

Glowing creatures of the deep
Posted 10-15-2017 | 0 comments
This vintage clip sees Sir David Attenborough descending in to the dark depths of the sea.

Slow motion pellet split
Posted 10-14-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to split an air gun pellet with a knife to pop two balloons.

Dog with world's longest tongue
Posted 10-12-2017 | 2 comments
Meet Mochi Rickert - a female St Bernard with a tongue measuring 18.58 cm in length.

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia

Impossible phone call
10-18-2017 | West Virginia

Seeing cats
10-18-2017 | Santa Rosa

Fourth of July UFO show
10-18-2017 | Hillsboro ND

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland