Friday, August 18, 2017

Researchers create chimpanzee dictionary

Posted on Sunday, 6 July, 2014 | Comment icon 8 comments

Chimps use their own sign language to communicate. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Thomas Lersch
Sign language gestures used by our primate cousins have been documented in full for the first time.
Chimpanzees are well known for using their own unique hand gestures to communicate with one another and scientists have long sought to determine if these signs shared a common ancestry with the languages of modern humans.

Among the gestures documented are signs for "follow me", "stop that" and "take this".

The motion of a mother showing the sole of her foot to an infant is believed to indicate that she wishes for it to climb up on to her while touching another chimp's arm generally indicates a desire to be scratched.

A total of 66 gestures were identified including some that could be used individually and others that could be strung together to form more complex exchanges. The researchers also noted that the meanings of these gestures seemed to be consistent regardless of which ape was using them.

The findings were based on more than 4,500 gestures recorded in Uganda between 2007 and 2009.

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (8)

Tags: Chimpanzee

Comment icon #1 Posted by Eldorado on 4 July, 2014, 20:43
What does throwing turds at folk mean? The obvious?
Comment icon #2 Posted by GreenmansGod on 4 July, 2014, 21:39
I disagree when they said they are the only animals doing intentional communication (besides us). I think it is pretty clear dolphins and whales do it. I bet elephants do it too.
Comment icon #3 Posted by bulveye on 4 July, 2014, 21:44
Comment icon #4 Posted by abodysite on 7 July, 2014, 0:24
I fully agree. Cuttlefish, squid and such are so much more intelligent than most of us give them credit for. e.g. Humboldt squid. Probably one of the more intelligent animals in the oceans. Look at the way they communicate...even with us humans when we go diving with them.
Comment icon #5 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 7 July, 2014, 16:17
I think octopus and cuttlefish can do a lot of communication that we would understand if we could live as fast as them and learn. I'd hate to be the person who has the task of decyphering an octopus's sign language repertoire.
Comment icon #6 Posted by paperdyer on 7 July, 2014, 17:12
Can the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes be far behind? First we learn what they are saying which is probably "We ain't related to your dumb a$$!"
Comment icon #7 Posted by redhen on 7 July, 2014, 18:37
Is there a Chimp sign for "stop using me for your unnecessary vivisection experiments? "
Comment icon #8 Posted by Sundew on 9 July, 2014, 1:05
66 gestures to communicate: 60 of them mean "banana"...

Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs
  Gnosticism
  The Urantia Papers
  Any LaVey Fans Here?
 Extraterrestrial Life & The UFO Phenomenon
  Kenneth Arnold UFOs
  SaLuSa from sirius
  Betty and Barney Hill Case Debunked
Mystery of distant Kuiper Belt object deepens
8-17-2017
The next target of NASA's New Horizons probe is a space rock with some rather intriguing properties.
Scientists solve animal evolution mystery
8-17-2017
A sea algae boom has been credited with the rise of the first complex life forms in Earth's distant past.
Man finds snake on a supermarket pineapple
8-17-2017
A man in Edinburgh got the fright of his life on Tuesday when he found the reptile in his shopping.
Insect burgers to go on sale in Switzerland
8-16-2017
Insect-based edibles are beginning to appear in shops after a recent revision of food safety laws.
Concrete blocks chest smash
Posted 8-17-2017 | 0 comments
Multiple world record holder Ali Bahcetepe has 16 concrete blocks smashed on his chest.

Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama