Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Primary school 'alien egg' prank backfires

Posted on Friday, 11 July, 2014 | Comment icon 32 comments

Some of the children were terrified of the egg. Image Credit: sxc.hu
An unconventional problem solving exercise went awry when several of the children ended up terrified.
The strange set of events at Holy Trinity Primary School in Essex started when teachers placed a 3ft tall 'egg' in the undergrowth next to the school grounds as part of a lesson designed to promote problem solving.

The school sent updates to parents describing the "amazing discovery" and indicated that scientists from the "National Museum Of Strange Objects" would be visiting the school to investigate.

The children were tasked with aiding in the investigation by asking questions, writing essays and drawing pictures to try and determine where the egg had come from. It soon became apparent however that some of them had found the whole thing rather unsettling, prompting reports of children returning home in tears and being too frightened to go to school.

Following a backlash from parents the school ended up having to issue an apology.

"It has come to our attention that whilst the vast majority of the children at school were excited and engaged by this morning's 'discovery' there are some who have been worried by it," wrote headmaster Jon Smith. "We assure you that this afternoon we held an extra whole school assembly where we made it absolutely clear to everyone that the egg was of no danger to anyone."

Source: ParentDish | Comments (32)

Tags: Prank, Egg, School, Alien

Comment icon #23 Posted by Silent Trinity on 15 July, 2014, 5:12
I think some children at that school really over-EGGs-agerating the situation... OMG I cannot believe I made that joke.... I shall submit myself for summary execution at the moderators leisure....
Comment icon #24 Posted by Calibeliever on 15 July, 2014, 18:34
Comment icon #25 Posted by Silent Trinity on 15 July, 2014, 23:07
I know I know.... trainwreck
Comment icon #26 Posted by aquatus1 on 16 July, 2014, 1:06
The image of terror! In all fairness, this did come from Mail Online, and it isn't like they have the greatest reputation for journalistic integrity. I haven't been able to find more than the two Twitter comments that talk about scared kids. As far as I can tell, even if all four comments referred to come from different parents, that's 4 out of 60 students (or 115, depending on how many classes were involved). Hardly worthy of a headline. But then, it isn't as if anyone is taking it as anything other than tongue-in-cheek: Natural History Museum
Comment icon #27 Posted by Ryu on 16 July, 2014, 12:45
Well, I can't be so sure about that since people nowdays have become so hypersensitive that they feel that anything other than furry bunnies is a traumatic event for their precious little puke machines and therefore must be banned in order to preserve their feelings. Society everywhere seems to be morphing into collective cowards.
Comment icon #28 Posted by newbloodmoon on 19 July, 2014, 11:19
Reminds me of a tom baker-dr. Who episode called the creature in the pit. It had egg fragments from a large egg. Perhaps we have a real life blob monster on the loose.
Comment icon #29 Posted by Princess Serenity on 20 July, 2014, 2:14
I would think it was the coolest thing in the world. XD
Comment icon #30 Posted by Scheming B on 20 July, 2014, 2:26
The image of terror! MOTHER OF GOD
Comment icon #31 Posted by kartikg on 20 July, 2014, 6:20
These are the same kids who pay to watch Godzilla.
Comment icon #32 Posted by George Ford on 20 July, 2014, 9:54
Pathetic parents bringing their kids up wrapped in cotton wool and making them soft and targets for bullies. If those kids grow up being protected from things like big fake eggs then only god will be able to help them once they have to go out by themselves as adults into the world the rest of us live in.

'Doomsday' has been postponed until October
9-25-2017
The man behind this month's doomsday prophecy has pushed the apocalypse back another few weeks.
Spielberg once contributed to UN UFO debate
9-25-2017
The legendary film director has made several movies exploring the themes of UFOs and extraterrestrials.
Neanderthal brains developed slower than ours
9-24-2017
The skeleton of a young Neanderthal has revealed that our brains did not develop at the same rate.
Plant-eating dinosaurs sometimes ate crabs
9-24-2017
Fossilized droppings have revealed that some herbivorous dinosaurs occasionally snacked on seafood.
Will robots take over all our jobs ?
Posted 9-23-2017 | 1 comment
As computers become increasingly sophisticated, will there be any jobs left for us ?

Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY