Saturday, April 29, 2017

Stem cell patient grows a nose on her back

Posted on Thursday, 10 July, 2014 | Comment icon 18 comments

Scientists were baffled by the unexpected growth. Image Credit: sxc.hu
A failed stem cell procedure ended up producing a strange nose-like growth over eight years later.
The woman, who has remained anonymous, had been subjected to a procedure in which stem cells from her nose had been implanted in to her spine in order to help cure her paralysis.

Unfortunately the treatment didn't work, but eight years on she returned to the hospital complaining about a mysterious pain she was experiencing in the area of the procedure.

When doctors examined her they were perplexed to discover a 3cm growth made of nasal tissue on her back. The 'nose' was comprised of bits of bone and nerve branches but had failed to connect up with her spinal nerves.

"It is sobering," said stem cell researcher George Daley. "It speaks directly to how primitive our state of knowledge is about how cells integrate and divide and expand."

Comments (18)

Tags: Stem Cells, Nose

Comment icon #9 Posted by Hobbit Feet on 10 July, 2014, 22:42
I agree with Use your brain. Same cells for same parts. But, trial and error is how we get it right.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Silver Surfer on 11 July, 2014, 4:21
Who nose how that happened?
Comment icon #11 Posted by EnderOTD on 11 July, 2014, 10:32
what? no pics? sad face. Who nose how that happened? I nose-ticed what you did there, nose puns intended
Comment icon #12 Posted by Sundew on 11 July, 2014, 12:09
Who nose how that happened? Nobody nose. The whole thing smells fishy. Could be worse, could have grown in her arm pit.
Comment icon #13 Posted by nohands on 11 July, 2014, 13:56
ouch.... i rather use the positive thinking techniques to cure my some illness
Comment icon #14 Posted by SaraT on 11 July, 2014, 19:46
She obviously just had a bad case of runny nose. It simply ran to her back. Do I have to start solving medical mysteries now?
Comment icon #15 Posted by George Ford on 11 July, 2014, 20:01
Comment icon #16 Posted by George Ford on 11 July, 2014, 20:01
Comment icon #17 Posted by Harte on 11 July, 2014, 21:33
Interesting. So I could take cells from a certain private area and graft them onto my forehead if I wanted? Aren't you afraid that nobody will be able to tell the difference? Harte
Comment icon #18 Posted by Silent Trinity on 15 July, 2014, 4:50
Interesting story and truly bizarre .... I don't think even Nose-tradamus could have predicted this one! Sorry sorry I will euthanize myself for making that joke straight away ....

Real-life Iron Man shows off suit in Vancouver
4-29-2017
The inventor of the impressive flying suit demonstrated his creation at this week's TED conference.
Cassini survives, returns breathtaking images
4-29-2017
NASA's Cassini spacecraft has captured a series of impressive new photos during its death-defying dive.
Time travel is 'mathematically possible'
4-29-2017
According to Professor Ben Tippett, traveling through time is not outside the realms of possibility.
Distant 'ice ball' exoplanet discovered
4-28-2017
Scientists have announced the discovery of a freezing Earth-mass world 13,000 light years away.
Giant Rolo
Posted 4-29-2017 | 0 comments
Barry and James create the world's largest Rolo using piles and piles of chocolate.

Gliding leaf frogs
Posted 4-28-2017 | 0 comments
These remarkable amphibians use their webbed feet to help them glide through the air.

Venus flytrap anemone
Posted 4-27-2017 | 0 comments
A look at one particularly unusual creature which lives down at the bottom of the ocean.

Lightning seen from space
Posted 4-26-2017 | 0 comments
Astronaut Thomas Pesquet captured this footage from the International Space Station.

Slo Mo Guys Inception
Posted 4-25-2017 | 0 comments
Gav and Dan attempt to recreate a scene from Inception involving a bath of cold water.

Is the Boar Man real ?
4-26-2017 | Wichita Mountains, Oklahoma

Possessed boom box 1988
4-26-2017 | Santa Ana

Grandpa's visit
4-14-2017 | Portugal

Mysterious dog
4-14-2017 | Utah

A night to remember
4-14-2017 | Philippines

Am I going crazy ?
3-30-2017 | South Africa

Sleep paralysis or my father ?
3-30-2017 | Los Angeles