Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Stem cell patient grows a nose on her back

Posted on Thursday, 10 July, 2014 | Comment icon 18 comments

Scientists were baffled by the unexpected growth. Image Credit: sxc.hu
A failed stem cell procedure ended up producing a strange nose-like growth over eight years later.
The woman, who has remained anonymous, had been subjected to a procedure in which stem cells from her nose had been implanted in to her spine in order to help cure her paralysis.

Unfortunately the treatment didn't work, but eight years on she returned to the hospital complaining about a mysterious pain she was experiencing in the area of the procedure.

When doctors examined her they were perplexed to discover a 3cm growth made of nasal tissue on her back. The 'nose' was comprised of bits of bone and nerve branches but had failed to connect up with her spinal nerves.

"It is sobering," said stem cell researcher George Daley. "It speaks directly to how primitive our state of knowledge is about how cells integrate and divide and expand."

Comments (18)

Tags: Stem Cells, Nose

Comment icon #9 Posted by Hobbit Feet on 10 July, 2014, 22:42
I agree with Use your brain. Same cells for same parts. But, trial and error is how we get it right.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Silver Surfer on 11 July, 2014, 4:21
Who nose how that happened?
Comment icon #11 Posted by EnderOTD on 11 July, 2014, 10:32
what? no pics? sad face. Who nose how that happened? I nose-ticed what you did there, nose puns intended
Comment icon #12 Posted by Sundew on 11 July, 2014, 12:09
Who nose how that happened? Nobody nose. The whole thing smells fishy. Could be worse, could have grown in her arm pit.
Comment icon #13 Posted by nohands on 11 July, 2014, 13:56
ouch.... i rather use the positive thinking techniques to cure my some illness
Comment icon #14 Posted by SaraT on 11 July, 2014, 19:46
She obviously just had a bad case of runny nose. It simply ran to her back. Do I have to start solving medical mysteries now?
Comment icon #15 Posted by George Ford on 11 July, 2014, 20:01
Comment icon #16 Posted by George Ford on 11 July, 2014, 20:01
Comment icon #17 Posted by Harte on 11 July, 2014, 21:33
Interesting. So I could take cells from a certain private area and graft them onto my forehead if I wanted? Aren't you afraid that nobody will be able to tell the difference? Harte
Comment icon #18 Posted by Silent Trinity on 15 July, 2014, 4:50
Interesting story and truly bizarre .... I don't think even Nose-tradamus could have predicted this one! Sorry sorry I will euthanize myself for making that joke straight away ....

Neutron star smash signals major breakthrough
10-16-2017
For the first time ever, gravitational waves and light have been picked up from the same cosmic event.
Scottish scientists send a teacake in to space
10-16-2017
Thousands of people watched online as the popular confectionery was launched in to the heavens on Friday.
Mystery 'Watcher' house goes up for sale
10-15-2017
A couple plagued by mysterious letters from the 'Watcher' have been struggling to sell their home.
'Vampire' kangaroos lived longer than thought
10-15-2017
An extinct species of fanged kangaroo survived five million years longer than previously believed.
Schlieren imaging in color
Posted 10-16-2017 | 1 comment
A look at Schlieren imaging - a technique that can help to visualize tiny differences in air.

Glowing creatures of the deep
Posted 10-15-2017 | 0 comments
This vintage clip sees Sir David Attenborough descending in to the dark depths of the sea.

Slow motion pellet split
Posted 10-14-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to split an air gun pellet with a knife to pop two balloons.

Dog with world's longest tongue
Posted 10-12-2017 | 2 comments
Meet Mochi Rickert - a female St Bernard with a tongue measuring 18.58 cm in length.

How do helicopters fly without wings ?
Posted 10-11-2017 | 5 comments
A look at how helicopter rotor blades make it possible to fly vertically in to the air.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY