Saturday, June 24, 2017

Stem cell patient grows a nose on her back

Posted on Thursday, 10 July, 2014 | Comment icon 18 comments

Scientists were baffled by the unexpected growth. Image Credit: sxc.hu
A failed stem cell procedure ended up producing a strange nose-like growth over eight years later.
The woman, who has remained anonymous, had been subjected to a procedure in which stem cells from her nose had been implanted in to her spine in order to help cure her paralysis.

Unfortunately the treatment didn't work, but eight years on she returned to the hospital complaining about a mysterious pain she was experiencing in the area of the procedure.

When doctors examined her they were perplexed to discover a 3cm growth made of nasal tissue on her back. The 'nose' was comprised of bits of bone and nerve branches but had failed to connect up with her spinal nerves.

"It is sobering," said stem cell researcher George Daley. "It speaks directly to how primitive our state of knowledge is about how cells integrate and divide and expand."

Comments (18)

Tags: Stem Cells, Nose

Comment icon #9 Posted by Hobbit Feet on 10 July, 2014, 22:42
I agree with Use your brain. Same cells for same parts. But, trial and error is how we get it right.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Silver Surfer on 11 July, 2014, 4:21
Who nose how that happened?
Comment icon #11 Posted by EnderOTD on 11 July, 2014, 10:32
what? no pics? sad face. Who nose how that happened? I nose-ticed what you did there, nose puns intended
Comment icon #12 Posted by Sundew on 11 July, 2014, 12:09
Who nose how that happened? Nobody nose. The whole thing smells fishy. Could be worse, could have grown in her arm pit.
Comment icon #13 Posted by nohands on 11 July, 2014, 13:56
ouch.... i rather use the positive thinking techniques to cure my some illness
Comment icon #14 Posted by SaraT on 11 July, 2014, 19:46
She obviously just had a bad case of runny nose. It simply ran to her back. Do I have to start solving medical mysteries now?
Comment icon #15 Posted by George Ford on 11 July, 2014, 20:01
Comment icon #16 Posted by George Ford on 11 July, 2014, 20:01
Comment icon #17 Posted by Harte on 11 July, 2014, 21:33
Interesting. So I could take cells from a certain private area and graft them onto my forehead if I wanted? Aren't you afraid that nobody will be able to tell the difference? Harte
Comment icon #18 Posted by Silent Trinity on 15 July, 2014, 4:50
Interesting story and truly bizarre .... I don't think even Nose-tradamus could have predicted this one! Sorry sorry I will euthanize myself for making that joke straight away ....

Scientists crack mystery of avian egg shape
6-24-2017
Researchers have finally worked out why some bird eggs are rounder while others are more pointy.
Magnetic beam could dispose of old satellites
6-24-2017
A French scientist is working on a novel new way to keep Earth's orbit clear of defunct satellites.
UK UFO files have finally been released
6-24-2017
The National Archives has published a collection of 15 Ministry of Defence files on the subject of UFOs.
Real-life treasure hunt has claimed two lives
6-23-2017
Two people have died while attempting to track down a $2M haul hidden somewhere in the Rocky Mountains.
Predicting disasters
Posted 6-24-2017 | 0 comments
Richard A. Clarke talks about the ways in which catastrophes can be predicted in advance.

How big are spacecraft ?
Posted 6-23-2017 | 2 comments
Most images of spacecraft are set in space, which makes it hard to judge relative size.

Eusocial animals
Posted 6-22-2017 | 1 comment
How do ants and termites manage to create such enormous and impressive structures ?

Seeing the invisible
Posted 6-21-2017 | 0 comments
What if you could see invisible air currents, temperature gradients and pressure differences ?

Record-breaking aviary
Posted 6-20-2017 | 3 comments
The Shukavana bird home in Mysuru, India is home to 468 different species of birds.

Craig is here
6-10-2017 | Phoenix AZ

We saw the same thing!
6-10-2017 | Pooler, GA

Three female faces
6-5-2017 | Illinois (IL)

Encounter at 3:33 AM
6-5-2017 | Budapest

Trade school terror
5-26-2017 | Cedro woolley, Wa.

Someone is on my bed