Friday, January 20, 2017

Stem cell patient grows a nose on her back

Posted on Thursday, 10 July, 2014 | Comment icon 18 comments

Scientists were baffled by the unexpected growth. Image Credit: sxc.hu
A failed stem cell procedure ended up producing a strange nose-like growth over eight years later.
The woman, who has remained anonymous, had been subjected to a procedure in which stem cells from her nose had been implanted in to her spine in order to help cure her paralysis.

Unfortunately the treatment didn't work, but eight years on she returned to the hospital complaining about a mysterious pain she was experiencing in the area of the procedure.

When doctors examined her they were perplexed to discover a 3cm growth made of nasal tissue on her back. The 'nose' was comprised of bits of bone and nerve branches but had failed to connect up with her spinal nerves.

"It is sobering," said stem cell researcher George Daley. "It speaks directly to how primitive our state of knowledge is about how cells integrate and divide and expand."

Comments (18)

Tags: Stem Cells, Nose

Comment icon #9 Posted by Hobbit Feet on 10 July, 2014, 22:42
I agree with Use your brain. Same cells for same parts. But, trial and error is how we get it right.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Silver Surfer on 11 July, 2014, 4:21
Who nose how that happened?
Comment icon #11 Posted by EnderOTD on 11 July, 2014, 10:32
what? no pics? sad face. Who nose how that happened? I nose-ticed what you did there, nose puns intended
Comment icon #12 Posted by Sundew on 11 July, 2014, 12:09
Who nose how that happened? Nobody nose. The whole thing smells fishy. Could be worse, could have grown in her arm pit.
Comment icon #13 Posted by nohands on 11 July, 2014, 13:56
ouch.... i rather use the positive thinking techniques to cure my some illness
Comment icon #14 Posted by SaraT on 11 July, 2014, 19:46
She obviously just had a bad case of runny nose. It simply ran to her back. Do I have to start solving medical mysteries now?
Comment icon #15 Posted by George Ford on 11 July, 2014, 20:01
Comment icon #16 Posted by George Ford on 11 July, 2014, 20:01
Comment icon #17 Posted by Harte on 11 July, 2014, 21:33
Interesting. So I could take cells from a certain private area and graft them onto my forehead if I wanted? Aren't you afraid that nobody will be able to tell the difference? Harte
Comment icon #18 Posted by Silent Trinity on 15 July, 2014, 4:50
Interesting story and truly bizarre .... I don't think even Nose-tradamus could have predicted this one! Sorry sorry I will euthanize myself for making that joke straight away ....

Nearby planet Wolf 1061c may be habitable
1-20-2017
Astronomers believe that a planet 14 light years away may be a promising place to look for alien life.
Lost kingdom of Rheged found in Scotland
1-20-2017
Archaeologists believe that they have located the site of a lost kingdom dating back to the Dark Ages.
Sea levels could rise by 30ft, study warns
1-20-2017
Scientists have warned that global sea levels could continue to rise over the coming decades.
Namibia fairy circle mystery solved at last ?
1-19-2017
Ecologists believe that they may have finally solved the mystery behind Namibia's mysterious circles.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
A colorful 'landing' on Pluto
Posted 1-20-2017 | 0 comments
This NASA movie explores would it might be like to land on the dwarf planet Pluto.

The future of warfare
Posted 1-19-2017 | 2 comments
Drone armies and laser cannons may become increasingly common in the near future.

Kowloon Walled City
Posted 1-18-2017 | 1 comment
A look at what was once the most densely populated area on the surface of the planet.

Marshmallows in a vacuum
Posted 1-16-2017 | 2 comments
What happens to a pile of marshmallows when all the air is removed ?

Fighting fire with fire
Posted 1-15-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage learns whether it is possible to use fire (or the sound of fire) to put out fire.

Phantom vehicle
1-6-2017 | Ramer, United States

True ghost stories
1-6-2017 | Southern California

Floating tiles
1-6-2017 | Chewelah, Washington

A haunting in Northern California
12-28-2016 | Northern California

Strange creature in South Africa
12-28-2016 | South Africa, Hoedspruit.

A 15-year-old predicted my future!
12-21-2016 | Katherine, Australia

The haunted pond
12-21-2016 | Essex, Ontario, Canada

The haunted hospital
12-28-2016 | New Plymouth, New Zealand

Loud crash in the night
12-17-2016 | Pennsylvania

Mysterious woman in a blue dress
12-17-2016 | Northern Ireland