Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Stem cell patient grows a nose on her back

Posted on Thursday, 10 July, 2014 | Comment icon 18 comments

Scientists were baffled by the unexpected growth. Image Credit: sxc.hu
A failed stem cell procedure ended up producing a strange nose-like growth over eight years later.
The woman, who has remained anonymous, had been subjected to a procedure in which stem cells from her nose had been implanted in to her spine in order to help cure her paralysis.

Unfortunately the treatment didn't work, but eight years on she returned to the hospital complaining about a mysterious pain she was experiencing in the area of the procedure.

When doctors examined her they were perplexed to discover a 3cm growth made of nasal tissue on her back. The 'nose' was comprised of bits of bone and nerve branches but had failed to connect up with her spinal nerves.

"It is sobering," said stem cell researcher George Daley. "It speaks directly to how primitive our state of knowledge is about how cells integrate and divide and expand."

Comments (18)

Tags: Stem Cells, Nose

Comment icon #9 Posted by Hobbit Feet on 10 July, 2014, 22:42
I agree with Use your brain. Same cells for same parts. But, trial and error is how we get it right.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Silver Surfer on 11 July, 2014, 4:21
Who nose how that happened?
Comment icon #11 Posted by EnderOTD on 11 July, 2014, 10:32
what? no pics? sad face. Who nose how that happened? I nose-ticed what you did there, nose puns intended
Comment icon #12 Posted by Sundew on 11 July, 2014, 12:09
Who nose how that happened? Nobody nose. The whole thing smells fishy. Could be worse, could have grown in her arm pit.
Comment icon #13 Posted by nohands on 11 July, 2014, 13:56
ouch.... i rather use the positive thinking techniques to cure my some illness
Comment icon #14 Posted by SaraT on 11 July, 2014, 19:46
She obviously just had a bad case of runny nose. It simply ran to her back. Do I have to start solving medical mysteries now?
Comment icon #15 Posted by George Ford on 11 July, 2014, 20:01
Comment icon #16 Posted by George Ford on 11 July, 2014, 20:01
Comment icon #17 Posted by Harte on 11 July, 2014, 21:33
Interesting. So I could take cells from a certain private area and graft them onto my forehead if I wanted? Aren't you afraid that nobody will be able to tell the difference? Harte
Comment icon #18 Posted by Silent Trinity on 15 July, 2014, 4:50
Interesting story and truly bizarre .... I don't think even Nose-tradamus could have predicted this one! Sorry sorry I will euthanize myself for making that joke straight away ....

Firm set to put a cellphone tower on the Moon
8-16-2017
A German startup is aiming to land rovers on the Moon that will communicate using cellphone technology.
'Frankenstein dinosaur' is 'missing link'
8-16-2017
The mystery surrounding a dinosaur made up of various mismatched body parts has finally been solved.
Dog turns blue due to polluted Indian River
8-15-2017
Untreated industrial waste in Mumbai's Kasadi river has been turning dogs a rather peculiar color.
Rare white 'spirit moose' filmed in Sweden
8-15-2017
The incredibly rare moose was captured on camera by councilman Hans Nilsson in Sweden's Varmland county.
Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

Will batteries power the world ?
Posted 8-14-2017 | 0 comments
Is there a limit to how small and light a rechargeable lithium-ion battery can be ?

Hoia-Baciu - the world's most haunted forest
Posted 8-13-2017 | 0 comments
A look at an area of forest that some people describe as Romania's own 'Bermuda Triangle'.

Can Derren Brown fool a psychologist ?
Posted 8-12-2017 | 2 comments
Psychological illusionist Derren Brown takes on a professional in the field.

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama