Monday, May 29, 2017

Are your friends genetically close to you ?

Posted on Tuesday, 15 July, 2014 | Comment icon 21 comments

How genetically similar to your friends are you ? Image Credit: sxc.hu
New research suggests that we have a tendancy to befriend people who have similar DNA to our own.
The study, which involved comparing the DNA of unrelated friends, found that the people we tend to choose as friends can often turn out to be as genetically similar to ourselves as two people who happen to share great-great-great grandparents.

"We are somehow, among a myriad of possibilities, managing to select, as friends, the people who resemble our kin," said Professor Nicholas Christakis of Yale University.

While the specific way in which we determine who our friends are on this type of genetic basis remains a mystery, researchers believe that there are likely to have been evolutionary advantages in this for early humans such as a reduction in the spread of disease among social groups.

"Looking across the whole genome we find that, on average, we are genetically similar to our friends," said study co-author Professor James Fowler. "We have more DNA in common with the people we pick as friends than we do with strangers in the same population."

Source: Telegraph | Comments (21)

Tags: DNA, Friends

Comment icon #12 Posted by jmccr8 on 16 July, 2014, 2:15
As people immigrate to countries they generally tend to settle in areas where there are others of the same heritage so naturally their chances of having friends with the same dna isn't unusual.Where I grew up,every town was a different nationality,and as their populations grew their was more mixing with people from other towns nearby. jmccr8
Comment icon #13 Posted by mattyoghostss on 16 July, 2014, 13:13
this explains a lot..
Comment icon #14 Posted by Taun on 16 July, 2014, 14:47
I sure hope they are!.. .You never know when you'll need "spare parts"...
Comment icon #15 Posted by Lilly on 16 July, 2014, 17:22
Comment icon #16 Posted by TheSpoonyOne on 16 July, 2014, 22:26
Uh...this hypothesis doesn't apply well to my friends. I'm ethnically English/Irish/Scottish/Dutch. My friends are as follows: Sciclian Italian German/Swiss Vietnamese/French Russian/Ukranian Northern Italian/Irish Not even close to being genetically similar to me. Well only a few of those ethnicities are outside of Europe, so it's not that far-fetched. A German is a lot more likely to gravitate towards an Englishman, Dutchman or a Scotsman, if we're going by this study, than he/she would be with someone from South Korea or Nigeria, the fact they are different ethnic groups (although German an... [More]
Comment icon #17 Posted by Lilly on 17 July, 2014, 0:39
The thing is in my case all of my friends are Americans. We can trace our genetic and cultural roots to the various countries mentioned, but in the final analysis we're all still Americans.
Comment icon #18 Posted by GlennThe14TH on 17 July, 2014, 1:53
I've never thought of it, but I suppose all my friends I've accumulated over the years are genetically similar to me. We're all human beings. I have African-American friends, Italian-American friends, Hispanic friends, a half-Japanese friend, a couple of Indian Muslim friends, several Indian Hindu friends, etc.
Comment icon #19 Posted by SaraT on 17 July, 2014, 8:01
Well I don't know if they're genetically close to me. I suppose I'm one of the few who hasn't collected DNA samples from my friends and had them analysed. PS: I think their research is rubbish.
Comment icon #20 Posted by chaostrom on 18 July, 2014, 16:55
*Raises hand* How about me? I have friends with whom I don't share ethnicity, nationality or religion. Half of them aren't even the same age as me. Hell, some of them I've befriended purely over the internet and have never even been in the same time zone with, let alone met. Been good friends with some of them for many years now.
Comment icon #21 Posted by regeneratia on 27 July, 2014, 18:38
My best friend is Korean, here in the USA since she was 6 months old. I don't think we are genetically linked. My next best is second generation American, Hungarian Roma. I don't think we are genetically linked. But the third best may well be genetically linked since we come from the same state, with families that have been in this state for generations.

UFO drama 'Blue Book' inspired by real events
5-29-2017
'Back to the Future' director Robert Zemeckis will be producing a new TV series about Project Blue Book.
Great Barrier Reef bleaching is getting worse
5-29-2017
Scientists have conceded that the outlook for the world's largest coral reef is looking increasingly grim.
UK man finds huntsman spider in his garden
5-29-2017
One Kent resident got the shock of his life recently when he spotted a huge arachnid outside his home.
NASA to launch probe that will 'touch the Sun'
5-28-2017
Known as Solar Probe Plus, the mission will be officially revealed in an announcement on Wednesday.
Japan's walls of snow
Posted 5-29-2017 | 0 comments
Murodo-daira of Tateyama has one of the heaviest snows in the world - up to 20 meters in places.

Thieving octopus
Posted 5-28-2017 | 0 comments
The Giant Pacific Octopus lies in wait so that it can steal crabs from local fishermen.

What color were dinosaurs ?
Posted 5-27-2017 | 6 comments
We can learn much about dinosaurs from fossils, but their color has long remained a mystery.

Ring around the Earth
Posted 5-26-2017 | 0 comments
What would happen if a solid, free-floating ring was placed in orbit around the Earth ?

World's heaviest weight
Posted 5-25-2017 | 0 comments
This incredible machine is capable of delivering a whopping 1,000,000 pounds of force.

Trade school terror
5-26-2017 | Cedro woolley, Wa.

Someone is on my bed