Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Antarctic base suffers power outage at -55C

Posted on Sunday, 10 August, 2014 | Comment icon 6 comments

A team member stands next to one of the station's modules. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Richard Burt
The 13 staff members at Halley Research Station in Antarctica have been attempting to fix their heating.
A power failure during the winter can be a big problem at the best of times, but when it happens at a base on an ice shelf in Antarctica while the temperatures outside are plummeting towards -55.4C a lack of heating can prove to be extremely dangerous.

This is the situation that's been facing the British Antarctic Survey team at Halley Research Station this month after an unexplained power failure left them without any heating at all.

Fortunately the team were able to restore limited power and heat however the cause of the problem has yet to be determined. The timing of the failure has been made all the more problematic by the fact that the region happened to be experiencing record low temperatures at the time.

"Contingency plans for alternative accommodation on site are in place and ancillary buildings are being made ready in case of a further power-down," the British Antarctic Survey said in a statement. "Our urgent priority is to ensure the continued safety and wellbeing of the wintering team."

Source: Sky News | Comments (6)

Tags: Antarctica, Expedition

Comment icon #1 Posted by libstaK on 7 August, 2014, 14:37
Those modules look nice and modern, no doubt well equipped to withstand the elements etc .... but you can't put an open fireplace or pot belly stove in them. Emergency backups need to be non mechanical. They should have a Stone Cottage filled with dry wood and a fireplace and potbelly stove inside just for these type of contingencies. Maybe now they will consider that.
Comment icon #2 Posted by StRoostifer on 7 August, 2014, 15:34
What is the energy source they have lost? I do not recall the article saying. Either way I hope they get it resolved. Man that's some cold temps!
Comment icon #3 Posted by ancient astronaut on 10 August, 2014, 14:53
My guess is generators.
Comment icon #4 Posted by bubblykiss on 10 August, 2014, 17:56
3 dog night? No. 13 scientist night, yes.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Scheming B on 10 August, 2014, 17:57
Comment icon #6 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 14 August, 2014, 13:03
I believe I accidentally rented a video like this from the backroom of a local rental place. ...I rented it accidentally 5 more times That makes us both accident prones.

550 million-year-old creature mystery solved
9-20-2017
Scientists believe that they have finally worked out what type of creature 'Dickinsonia' actually was.
Porpoise unearthed in medieval graveyard
9-20-2017
A recent archaeological dig near Guernsey has yielded something rather unexpected - a porpoise skeleton.
Mystery surrounds flushed money in Geneva
9-19-2017
An unknown individual has been flushing thousands of euros down the toilet and nobody knows why.
'Octopus city' found off coast of Australia
9-19-2017
Members of the gloomy octopus species have created their own underwater settlement dubbed 'Octlantis'.
Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY