Friday, July 28, 2017

Antarctic base suffers power outage at -55C

Posted on Sunday, 10 August, 2014 | Comment icon 6 comments

A team member stands next to one of the station's modules. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Richard Burt
The 13 staff members at Halley Research Station in Antarctica have been attempting to fix their heating.
A power failure during the winter can be a big problem at the best of times, but when it happens at a base on an ice shelf in Antarctica while the temperatures outside are plummeting towards -55.4C a lack of heating can prove to be extremely dangerous.

This is the situation that's been facing the British Antarctic Survey team at Halley Research Station this month after an unexplained power failure left them without any heating at all.

Fortunately the team were able to restore limited power and heat however the cause of the problem has yet to be determined. The timing of the failure has been made all the more problematic by the fact that the region happened to be experiencing record low temperatures at the time.

"Contingency plans for alternative accommodation on site are in place and ancillary buildings are being made ready in case of a further power-down," the British Antarctic Survey said in a statement. "Our urgent priority is to ensure the continued safety and wellbeing of the wintering team."

Source: Sky News | Comments (6)

Tags: Antarctica, Expedition

Comment icon #1 Posted by libstaK on 7 August, 2014, 14:37
Those modules look nice and modern, no doubt well equipped to withstand the elements etc .... but you can't put an open fireplace or pot belly stove in them. Emergency backups need to be non mechanical. They should have a Stone Cottage filled with dry wood and a fireplace and potbelly stove inside just for these type of contingencies. Maybe now they will consider that.
Comment icon #2 Posted by StRoostifer on 7 August, 2014, 15:34
What is the energy source they have lost? I do not recall the article saying. Either way I hope they get it resolved. Man that's some cold temps!
Comment icon #3 Posted by ancient astronaut on 10 August, 2014, 14:53
My guess is generators.
Comment icon #4 Posted by bubblykiss on 10 August, 2014, 17:56
3 dog night? No. 13 scientist night, yes.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Scheming B on 10 August, 2014, 17:57
Comment icon #6 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 14 August, 2014, 13:03
I believe I accidentally rented a video like this from the backroom of a local rental place. ...I rented it accidentally 5 more times That makes us both accident prones.

California residents report 'Chupacabra'
7-27-2017
Alleged sightings of the cryptozoological creature have sparked concerns over the safety of local pets.
Our atoms came from far across the universe
7-27-2017
A new study has revealed that half of the atoms that make up our bodies have come from beyond the galaxy.
Private firm set to land on the Moon in 2019
7-27-2017
Astrobotic is aiming to land its unmanned Peregrine lunar lander on the surface of the Moon in two years' time.
3,500-year-old lunch box found in Swiss Alps
7-26-2017
An extraordinarily well-preserved lunch box has been discovered on Switzerland's Lotschberg mountain.
Octopus goes for a walk
Posted 7-27-2017 | 4 comments
As this video shows, not all octopus' limit their exploration to the bottom of the sea.

Augmented reality
Posted 7-26-2017 | 1 comment
A look at a new technology that superimposes computer-generated images over the real world.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI