Sunday, July 23, 2017

Lizards may hold key to limb regeneration

Posted on Friday, 22 August, 2014 | Comment icon 10 comments

Many lizards can regrow their own tail. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 ToNToNi
By understanding how lizards regrow tissue it may be possible to enable the same process in humans.
Imagine being able to regrow a missing arm after an amputation or being able to regenerate your spinal cord after an accident has left you paralyzed - it might sound impossible now but scientists may soon be able to come up with a way to make it actually happen.

The key is believed to lie in the way in which a lizard can grow back its entire tail - a scale of regeneration that is unheard of throughout most of the animal kingdom.

"Lizards are the most closely-related animals to humans that can regenerate entire appendages," said lead author Kenro Kusumi. "We discovered that they turn on at least 326 genes in specific regions of the regenerating tail, including genes involved in embryonic development, response to hormonal signals and wound healing."

The researchers believe that they have identified the unique genetic "recipe" for limb regeneration in lizards and that given enough time, the same processes could be enabled in humans as well.

"Lizards basically share the same toolbox of genes as humans," said Kusumi.

Source: Nature World News | Comments (10)

Tags: Lizard, Regeneration

Comment icon #1 Posted by CuriousRey on 21 August, 2014, 21:34
Didn't they figure this out in the Amazing Spider Man 2? Old news!
Comment icon #2 Posted by DecoNoir on 21 August, 2014, 23:28
Didn't they figure this out in the Amazing Spider Man 2? Old news! Stan Lee predicted how this would end back in 1964! Stan Lee is Utaau the Watcher. Sorry had to let my nerd out a bit.
Comment icon #3 Posted by OverSword on 22 August, 2014, 0:32
Stan Lee predicted how this would end back in 1964! Stan Lee is Utaau the Watcher. Sorry had to let my nerd out a bit. Stole my thunder.
Comment icon #4 Posted by shrooma on 22 August, 2014, 10:14
Stole my thunder. . mine too!! .
Comment icon #5 Posted by shrooma on 22 August, 2014, 10:16
the makers of landmines must be wetting themselves..... .
Comment icon #6 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 22 August, 2014, 14:05
Comment icon #7 Posted by praetorian-legio XIII on 22 August, 2014, 14:14
CNN could use a top notch anchor like Kent. Then they could get rid of the idiots they are trying to pass off as "journalists". Back on topic, I would so cut off my tongue if I could grow back a nice long forked heat sensing one. My wife would love it and I could start hanging with the reptilian crowd.
Comment icon #8 Posted by DieChecker on 22 August, 2014, 18:46
Comment icon #9 Posted by shrooma on 22 August, 2014, 19:07
I'm still waiting for the "grow new teeth" and "grow new hair" shots to come out. "Grow back arm" would be cool too. . i want them to make another me DC, so i can tell him he's s*it at pool. because he's not listening to me..... . the pillock. .
Comment icon #10 Posted by whichisit on 24 August, 2014, 3:21
or make yourself immortal buy understanding the biology of the lobster

Did sea creatures push US in to Vietnam War ?
7-22-2017
Back in 1964, the Gulf of Tonkin incident resulted in a renewed commitment to war with Vietnam.
Scientist has 'solved' the Bermuda Triangle
7-22-2017
Dr Karl Kruszelnicki maintains that the answer to the mystery lies in little more than basic human error.
Scientists develop bizarre worm-like robot
7-22-2017
Stanford University researchers have built a robot that can literally worm its way around anything.
Mystery of Abe Lincoln's Bixby letter solved
7-21-2017
Forensic linguists have 'almost certainly' determined who really wrote the famous Civil War-era letter.
Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 0 comments

Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

How do fireworks get their colors ?
Posted 7-19-2017 | 0 comments
Fireworks are well known for their colorful explosions, but where do the colors come from ?

The man who swims towards sharks
Posted 7-18-2017 | 1 comment
Marine biologist Yannis doesn't avoid sharks, he deliberately seeks them out.

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI