Thursday, June 30, 2016

Mystery 'glawackus' once roamed Glastonbury

Posted on Sunday, 24 August, 2014 | Comment icon 15 comments

Could the beast have been a panther ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Rute Martins
Back in the 1930s a terrifying creature was widely reported to be prowling the wilds of Great Britain.
Best known these days for its popular music festival, Glastonbury was once home to a legendary creature known as the "Glastonbury Glawackus", a large dog-like beast with a face like that of a feline.

Stories of the creature told of a mysterious "blood-curdling yell" heard by locals during the early hours of the morning and the discovery of livestock that had been killed and mutilated by an unknown attacker.

Interest in the legend reached fever pitch back in 1939 when, during a particularly snowy winter, a hunting party decided to take it upon themselves to venture out in to the wilds in an effort to track the beast down. A map was published in a local newspaper showing where the creature had struck.

The men failed to find anything, but later that year another group managed to shoot and kill a large brown dog that they had come across while out hunting. The press subsequently declared that the creature "was no more" and from that point on the sightings came to an end.

It isn't clear what the beast had been exactly as many of the reports had described animals very different to the dog that was killed. Some speculated that it had been a mountain lion that escaped from a nearby zoo while a black panther or lynx were also suggested as possibilities.

"It relieved the monotony of a dreary winter," wrote one newspaper editor at the time. "It got any number of ordinarily slothful individuals into the open air... Now it is dead, but if one knows Glastonbury, it will rise again. It was too useful to remain long buried."

Source: Courant.com | Comments (15)

Tags: Glastonbury, Glawackus

Comment icon #6 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright on 24 August, 2014, 10:41
Brown Jenkin. I hadn't seen that either. Wait a minute, I'm wrong. I do have a memory of seeing that a couple of times. At my front door. Blind dates. You know, come to think of it, there were times at night, I would hear sounds of pounding footsteps going up and down our back yard hill. Could never understand what it was. Naaahhhhhhhhh.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright on 24 August, 2014, 13:06
Still Waters, I'm confused. Is this talking about Glastonbury, England, or Glastonbury ct. USA? Because on another part of this site, it's talking about Glastonbury England. This thread links it to Glastonbury Connecticut. Funny thing is, I read this article days prior to this thread, and it shows the map of the connecticut town. Yet, it makes sense it refers to the English town, because like I said before, growing up in Connecticut, never heard about this urban myth, and I have heard all the urban myths linked to this town.
Comment icon #8 Posted by keithisco on 24 August, 2014, 14:18
Glastonbury, Ct.
Comment icon #9 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 24 August, 2014, 16:08
I hadn't seen that either. Wait a minute, I'm wrong. I do have a memory of seeing that a couple of times. At my front door. Blind dates. You know, come to think of it, there were times at night, I would hear sounds of pounding footsteps going up and down our back yard hill. Could never understand what it was. Naaahhhhhhhhh. That was a shoggoth.
Comment icon #10 Posted by MyOtherAccount on 24 August, 2014, 19:00
I think I've seen a Glawackus while hiking once? Was it carrying a nap-sack and walking pole? ;-)
Comment icon #11 Posted by MyOtherAccount on 24 August, 2014, 19:00
They were serious about the hunt, weren't they! Eleven hunters, two of them cops; two hunting dogs; and four riffles. Finding a huge dog wouldn't seem very heroic and anti-climatic, probably lessened the chances of it becoming a folk hero legend. The writer is a good story teller isn't he. Two postings? How did that happen? Strange... I guess I will use both independently somehow.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright on 24 August, 2014, 22:50
I thought it was Ct. Good Gawd! I think that was in the back yard where I grew up. Or it could be where there is a plaza, fire dept. and mini mart stands now. So that's why some dogs were vicious to me. It was in the air!
Comment icon #13 Posted by Tsuchinoko on 7 September, 2014, 19:21
Since almost every continent contains at least one species of big cats, it's very possible that there is an undiscovered species in Britain.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Red Howler on 8 September, 2014, 16:06
Mystery big cat struck there, but these aren't just loosened animals that ran away from zoos. These type of animals are supernatural, but physical beasts that can feed and make loud noises. They belong to a different dimension.
Comment icon #15 Posted by quiXilver on 9 September, 2014, 3:42
while I've never Glawackused myself or anyone knowingly... I may have inadvertently been Glawackused frottage style on a city bus once in NYC...

Man swims in 1,500-gallon pool of Coca-Cola
6-30-2016
The remarkable stunt saw a man jump in to a pool filled with several thousand bottles of fizzy drink.
Disclosure advocate releases NORAD UFO files
6-30-2016
Victor Viggiani released the documents to the public during the Alien Cosmic Expo event on Saturday.
Scientists succeed in making their own lava
6-29-2016
A team from the State University of New York at Buffalo created their own magma as part of an experiment.
Ghostly hand turns up in 116-year-old photo
6-29-2016
A photograph taken of workers at a linen mill over a century ago appears to contain an unexpected extra.
Tim Peake back on Earth
Posted 6-29-2016 | 1 comment
An interview with astronaut Tim Peake about his time aboard the space station.

How MythBusters saved a woman's life
Posted 6-27-2016 | 3 comments
A woman whose car careened in to a lake was saved by an episode of MythBusters.

Real-life dire wolves
Posted 6-26-2016 | 4 comments
The huge wolves in Game of Thrones actually existed 300,000 years ago.

Teaching a gorilla to talk
Posted 6-25-2016 | 8 comments
A western lowland gorilla named Koko was taught from an early age to use sign language.

Man puts 496 straws in his mouth
Posted 6-24-2016 | 3 comments
Guinness Rishi manages to cram 496 drinking straws in to his mouth at the same time.

Three knocks in the night
6-28-2016 | Cedar City, Utah