Friday, December 9, 2016

World's wooliest sheep found in Tazmania

Posted on Wednesday, 27 August, 2014 | Comment icon 22 comments

Shaun is somewhat overdue for a hair cut. Image Credit: YouTube / The Telegraph
A sheep that hasn't been shorn for six years has so much wool that it can hardly see where it's going.
Discovered by two farmers, the comically overburdened sheep - which has been nicknamed Shaun after the popular children's TV character - is believed to have escaped from a farm in the east of Tasmania before spending six years wandering the wilds.

"He couldn't see very well because of the wool over his face, so I snuck up behind him and grabbed him," said farmer Peter Hazell. "Then Netty and I went and got the ute and put him in the back and brought him into the yard."

There is so much wool on the sheep in fact that its fleece weighs more than 20kg. The fact that it managed to survive for so long on its own with such a heavy coat is quite remarkable.

"It is the heaviest sheep I've ever lifted," said Netty Hazell. "I just couldn't believe it, I just could not believe a sheep could have so much wool."

Source: ABC.net.au | Comments (22)

Tags: Sheep, Wool

Comment icon #13 Posted by OverSword on 28 August, 2014, 2:41
So sheep are dependent on humans to shear their wool? I guess I never really thought about it. If born and raised in the wild, sheep will be unable to see and live a rather ugly life. Usually when we think of an animal living without the human touch, we think of a much better lifestyle. But I guess, living blind and uncomfortable in the wild would still be better than becoming a human meal. So it would be better to be eaten alive by wolves or bears?That inner wool really looked nice though didn't it? I'd like a sweater mad from that lil guy.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Still Waters on 28 August, 2014, 11:21
Comment icon #15 Posted by Myles on 28 August, 2014, 11:33
So it would be better to be eaten alive by wolves or bears? That inner wool really looked nice though didn't it? I'd like a sweater mad from that lil guy. I think having a chance to live free would be better than just waiting in line to be butchered. But sheep may not mind. I agree on the inner wool. Wow! that looked great.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Myles on 28 August, 2014, 11:35
Shaun the shaggy Aussie sheep finally shorn - https://uk.news.yaho...25.html#QXTwX26 Hope they kept the wool separate from other wool. I'm guessing they could sell it for more with the media coverage.
Comment icon #17 Posted by toyomotor on 28 August, 2014, 11:43
Yep, true. Shaun the Sheep has now been shorn and had a check up at the Vets. He's going to be kept as a pet.
Comment icon #18 Posted by seeder on 28 August, 2014, 11:50
Shaun the shaggy Aussie sheep finally shorn - https://uk.news.yaho...25.html#QXTwX26 wow 23.5 kilos of wool! I bet thats a weight of his ...back
Comment icon #19 Posted by Mantis914 on 28 August, 2014, 14:18
So now that makes him...
Comment icon #20 Posted by maximusnow on 28 August, 2014, 14:25
SheepSquatch
Comment icon #21 Posted by Dracona15 on 11 September, 2014, 14:06
I must obtain that wool O_O I shall have the warmest sweater ever!!
Comment icon #22 Posted by Arbenol on 12 September, 2014, 2:14
So Shrek still has the world record. http://finnfolk.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/shrek-sheep.html Although I think the real record is how he managed go 6 years in New Zealand without being molested.

Legendary astronaut John Glenn dies aged 95
12-9-2016
Glenn became a national hero back in 1962 when he became the first American ever to orbit the Earth.
Actual dinosaur tail found preserved in amber
12-8-2016
The unprecedented 99 million-year-old specimen contains preserved bones, soft tissues and feathers.
Mars One delays first manned mission to Mars
12-8-2016
The Netherlands-based firm has pushed back its ambitious plans by several years due to funding issues.
Bleak figures show giraffes face extinction
12-8-2016
The world's tallest animal has suffered a worrying decline in numbers over the last three decades.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
Why do some coins have ridges ?
Posted 12-9-2016 | 0 comments
What is the purpose of the ridges found around the edges of some coins ?

Exploding 6ft water balloon in slow motion
Posted 12-8-2016 | 1 comment
The Slo Mo Guys film what happens when you sit inside a giant exploding water balloon.

What happens when you swallow gum ?
Posted 12-7-2016 | 3 comments
Ever swallowed a piece of chewing gum by accident ? Here's what happens.

Indestructible coating ?
Posted 12-6-2016 | 5 comments
A look at polyurea, an elastomer that can make objects extremely difficult to damage.

World's longest shout
Posted 12-5-2016 | 1 comment
Christian Kinner from Germany managed to shout for over 43 seconds non-stop.

Not my daughter