Saturday, December 3, 2016

Queensland sees spike in UFO sightings

Posted on Monday, 1 September, 2014 | Comment icon 37 comments

Queensland has seen numerous sightings in recent months. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Gerhard Uhlhorn
UFO researchers have revealed a perplexing rise in sightings over the north-east of Australia.
According to Sheryl Gottschall, president of UFO Research Queensland, the region has become something of a hot spot.

"We've had people calling from all over Queensland," she said. "There was a sighting on the Gold Coast on Friday night, Cairns last week and there was another sighting in Childers."

In total Australia sees somewhere around 800 UFO sightings per year but many more encounters go unreported.

One particularly interesting case, which occurred over the Brisbane suburb of Wooloowin, saw witnesses observe three bright lights hovering low in the sky over people's houses. The sightings prompted an official police investigation which concluded that the lights were of 'unknown origin'.

So great has interest in the phenomenon become in fact that record numbers of skywatching groups have been set up across the country to look for signs of unidentified objects.

Organizer Kristy Buist first saw a UFO at the age of 11 and has maintained a keen interest throughout her life. "I do look for UFOs often," she says. "I look for them wherever I go. There's always ifs and buts, but I've had four definite sightings in my lifetime."

Source: Brisbane Times | Comments (37)

Tags: UFO, Queensland

Comment icon #28 Posted by ChrLzs on 2 September, 2014, 12:21
I might take the time to contact the guy being interviewed to get more information on the footage/stills. As said earlier, without some specifics there's no way to properly investigate these. I'm a bit busy at the mo, but will try to get onto it later in the week. In the meantime, I will simply observe that.. here I am, with my nice camera and tele lens at my side as I go out walking each evening, under the mostly clear skies at the moment, and all I see are choppers, airliners, light planes, the odd military plane, stars, planets, satellites. The RC club has gone quiet lately, but there is so... [More]
Comment icon #29 Posted by Hawkin on 4 September, 2014, 4:06
Look out P. Those little grey buggers might give you a probe job.
Comment icon #30 Posted by psyche101 on 4 September, 2014, 8:26
Look out P. Those little grey buggers might give you a probe job. LOL, they would not be game taking their lives into their hands so readily. Ever heard the very cool story of General Curtis Le May? Life Magazine reporter Ernest Havemann related that LeMay once took the co-pilot's seat of a SAC bomber to observe the mission, complete with lit cigar. When asked by the pilot to put the cigar out, LeMay demanded to know why. When the pilot explained that fumes inside the fuselage could ignite the airplane, LeMay reportedly growled, "It wouldn't dare." They wouldn't dare.
Comment icon #31 Posted by bee on 4 September, 2014, 8:46
Look out P. Those little grey buggers might give you a probe job. Skinny Bob isn't like that..... Neither is his brother Skinny Bruce.... .
Comment icon #32 Posted by Sir Wearer of Hats on 4 September, 2014, 8:53
I've never met someone called Bruce who was skinny,,,
Comment icon #33 Posted by bee on 4 September, 2014, 9:01
I've never met someone called Bruce who was skinny,,, haha... well we have Bruce Forsyth...and he's pretty skinny... But he's not an Extraterrestrial...(at least I don't think so.... )...or Australian...
Comment icon #34 Posted by ChrLzs on 4 September, 2014, 12:13
While I await responses..... A few comments - that still image looks very odd to me - the pixellation just looks unlike a 'normal' enlarged digital camera image - I won't explain precisely why just yet, awaiting on some context and provenance... Also, as a non-facebooker, I'm very disappointed to note that it appears instead of updating their Qld UFO site here: http://www.uforq.asn.au/ .. which has a reporting page, except it stops in 2012... they use Facebook now. So to dig I'll have to wade through lots of omg and fanboi and copycat posts, and then who knows if the original images are availa... [More]
Comment icon #35 Posted by Hawkin on 4 September, 2014, 22:46
haha... well we have Bruce Forsyth...and he's pretty skinny... But he's not an Extraterrestrial...(at least I don't think so.... )...or Australian... Don't forget Bruce Almighty.
Comment icon #36 Posted by ChrLzs on 7 September, 2014, 5:25
I got a reply to my email.... it's a dead end.. Does anyone have a source for where those images originated, as it wasn't UFORQ - they simply grabbed them from elsewhere. To paraphrase the content of the polite email I received, it said basically this: They are a volunteer group, are constructing a new website, and they agree that posting on Facebook is far from ideal. They didn't get any other details of those images or the originals, simply grabbed them for use as part of their campaign to 'bring awareness' about Qld UFO's.. They get about 12 sightings a month. They complain that they often ... [More]
Comment icon #37 Posted by toyomotor on 8 September, 2014, 3:24
If it's something wierd or unusual, it belongs in Queensland.

Man is attempting to swim across the Atlantic
12-2-2016
British swimmer Ben Hooper has embarked on a seemingly impossible feat of strength and endurance.
Global warming 'beyond point of no return'
12-2-2016
A groundbreaking new study suggests that scientists have underestimated the impact of climate change.
'Breakthrough' will make chocolate healthier
12-1-2016
Swiss food giant Nestle has found a way to reduce sugar in chocolate by 40% without affecting the taste.
Road in Siberia ends up coated in green snow
12-1-2016
The bizarre spectacle occurred after a pipe burst and water from a drainage well rose to the surface.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
Why do we like shiny things ?
Posted 12-2-2016 | 6 comments
Why do we seem to be intrinsically drawn from an early age to shiny objects ?

Why are dogs so different ?
Posted 12-1-2016 | 4 comments
Despite being the same species, various breeds of dogs can be very different indeed.

Pulling a fire engine
Posted 11-30-2016 | 0 comments
Strongman Kevin Fast and his two sons manage to pull a fire engine over 100ft.

How to jump from the edge of space
Posted 11-29-2016 | 2 comments
In 2014, Alan Eustace donned a special spacesuit and jumped from over 135,000 feet.

Don't mix Coca-Cola with liquid nitrogen
Posted 11-28-2016 | 6 comments
A look at what happens when you add liquid nitrogen to a half-empty bottle of Coke.

Not my daughter