Monday, February 20, 2017

Queensland sees spike in UFO sightings

Posted on Monday, 1 September, 2014 | Comment icon 37 comments

Queensland has seen numerous sightings in recent months. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Gerhard Uhlhorn
UFO researchers have revealed a perplexing rise in sightings over the north-east of Australia.
According to Sheryl Gottschall, president of UFO Research Queensland, the region has become something of a hot spot.

"We've had people calling from all over Queensland," she said. "There was a sighting on the Gold Coast on Friday night, Cairns last week and there was another sighting in Childers."

In total Australia sees somewhere around 800 UFO sightings per year but many more encounters go unreported.

One particularly interesting case, which occurred over the Brisbane suburb of Wooloowin, saw witnesses observe three bright lights hovering low in the sky over people's houses. The sightings prompted an official police investigation which concluded that the lights were of 'unknown origin'.

So great has interest in the phenomenon become in fact that record numbers of skywatching groups have been set up across the country to look for signs of unidentified objects.

Organizer Kristy Buist first saw a UFO at the age of 11 and has maintained a keen interest throughout her life. "I do look for UFOs often," she says. "I look for them wherever I go. There's always ifs and buts, but I've had four definite sightings in my lifetime."

Source: Brisbane Times | Comments (37)

Tags: UFO, Queensland

Comment icon #28 Posted by ChrLzs on 2 September, 2014, 12:21
I might take the time to contact the guy being interviewed to get more information on the footage/stills. As said earlier, without some specifics there's no way to properly investigate these. I'm a bit busy at the mo, but will try to get onto it later in the week. In the meantime, I will simply observe that.. here I am, with my nice camera and tele lens at my side as I go out walking each evening, under the mostly clear skies at the moment, and all I see are choppers, airliners, light planes, the odd military plane, stars, planets, satellites. The RC club has gone quiet lately, but there is so... [More]
Comment icon #29 Posted by Hawkin on 4 September, 2014, 4:06
Look out P. Those little grey buggers might give you a probe job.
Comment icon #30 Posted by psyche101 on 4 September, 2014, 8:26
Look out P. Those little grey buggers might give you a probe job. LOL, they would not be game taking their lives into their hands so readily. Ever heard the very cool story of General Curtis Le May? Life Magazine reporter Ernest Havemann related that LeMay once took the co-pilot's seat of a SAC bomber to observe the mission, complete with lit cigar. When asked by the pilot to put the cigar out, LeMay demanded to know why. When the pilot explained that fumes inside the fuselage could ignite the airplane, LeMay reportedly growled, "It wouldn't dare." They wouldn't dare.
Comment icon #31 Posted by bee on 4 September, 2014, 8:46
Look out P. Those little grey buggers might give you a probe job. Skinny Bob isn't like that..... Neither is his brother Skinny Bruce.... .
Comment icon #32 Posted by Sir Wearer of Hats on 4 September, 2014, 8:53
I've never met someone called Bruce who was skinny,,,
Comment icon #33 Posted by bee on 4 September, 2014, 9:01
I've never met someone called Bruce who was skinny,,, haha... well we have Bruce Forsyth...and he's pretty skinny... But he's not an Extraterrestrial...(at least I don't think so.... )...or Australian...
Comment icon #34 Posted by ChrLzs on 4 September, 2014, 12:13
While I await responses..... A few comments - that still image looks very odd to me - the pixellation just looks unlike a 'normal' enlarged digital camera image - I won't explain precisely why just yet, awaiting on some context and provenance... Also, as a non-facebooker, I'm very disappointed to note that it appears instead of updating their Qld UFO site here: http://www.uforq.asn.au/ .. which has a reporting page, except it stops in 2012... they use Facebook now. So to dig I'll have to wade through lots of omg and fanboi and copycat posts, and then who knows if the original images are availa... [More]
Comment icon #35 Posted by Hawkin on 4 September, 2014, 22:46
haha... well we have Bruce Forsyth...and he's pretty skinny... But he's not an Extraterrestrial...(at least I don't think so.... )...or Australian... Don't forget Bruce Almighty.
Comment icon #36 Posted by ChrLzs on 7 September, 2014, 5:25
I got a reply to my email.... it's a dead end.. Does anyone have a source for where those images originated, as it wasn't UFORQ - they simply grabbed them from elsewhere. To paraphrase the content of the polite email I received, it said basically this: They are a volunteer group, are constructing a new website, and they agree that posting on Facebook is far from ideal. They didn't get any other details of those images or the originals, simply grabbed them for use as part of their campaign to 'bring awareness' about Qld UFO's.. They get about 12 sightings a month. They complain that they often ... [More]
Comment icon #37 Posted by toyomotor on 8 September, 2014, 3:24
If it's something wierd or unusual, it belongs in Queensland.

SpaceX Cape Canaveral launch is a success
2-19-2017
The private space firm has successfully launched a Falcon 9 rocket from NASA's Kennedy Space Center.
Fed up single woman decides to marry herself
2-19-2017
Singleton Lynne Gollogly made the decision following years of failed attempts to find 'Mr Right'.
Mars may be slowly forming a ring system
2-19-2017
Mars may not be the most obvious place to look for rings, but that could soon be set to change.
Scientists aim to harness power of volcanoes
2-18-2017
Efforts are underway in Iceland to find ways of turning the heat from volcanoes in to usable electricity.
Featured book

By Guy Lyon Playfair
A look at the story of Peggy Hodgson and her four children who, between 1977 and 1979, were at the center of one of the most terrifying poltergeist cases ever documented.
Slow motion football explosion
Posted 2-19-2017 | 0 comments
What happens when you over-inflate a football ? The Slo Mo Guys investigate.

Long-term space travel and isolation
Posted 2-18-2017 | 1 comment
Not everyone is cut out for the isolation of traveling long distances through space.

Humphead parrotfish
Posted 2-17-2017 | 1 comment
These bizarre-looking 1.5-meter-long fish can use their teeth to turn coral in to a fine sand.

Catching lightning in a bottle
Posted 2-16-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to catch lightning in a bottle ? Adam Savage investigates.

Most finger snaps in one minute
Posted 2-15-2017 | 3 comments
Japanese university student Satoyuki Fujimura managed 296 fingers snaps in 60 seconds.

Saved by a stranger

1-6-2017 | Southern California

Floating tiles
1-6-2017 | Chewelah, Washington

A haunting in Northern California
12-28-2016 | Northern California

Strange creature in South Africa
12-28-2016 | South Africa, Hoedspruit.