Friday, March 24, 2017

3-year-old goes for a drive on the highway

Posted on Sunday, 10 January, 2016 | Comment icon 26 comments

The toddler managed to travel quite a distance from his home. Image Credit: PD - Urbanative
Motorists in Florida last week were gobsmacked to see a small child driving along the middle of the road.
The peculiar incident began on Wednesday morning after the boy managed to sneak out of his house by standing on a chair to unlock the front door while his father was in the bathroom.

Once outside he got in to his motorized Power Wheels vehicle and headed off towards the highway.

Fortunately several canny road users slowed down to shield the boy from oncoming traffic and ushered him over on to the side of the road until the authorities could intervene.

"I was shocked," said witness Danny Collins. "Thatís why I took the pictures. I was like nobodyís going to believe this. Could have ended a lot differently if not for the people who stopped."

Fortunately the boy escaped unscathed and has since been reunited with his father.

Local authorities are currently investigating the case.

Source: Global News | Comments (26)

Tags: Highway, Child, Driving

Comment icon #17 Posted by freetoroam on 11 January, 2016, 19:02
Comment icon #18 Posted by Sundew on 11 January, 2016, 19:12
It may or may not be the parent's fault, kids are smart and they can figure out door locks and gates. All it takes is a second of inattention or distraction. I saw a similar incident once where a cop brought a two or maybe three year old into a restaurant that was walking down the median of a four lane road. The mother, a bartender/hostess turned her back for a minute and the kid was out the front door of the restaurant and on his way down the road.
Comment icon #19 Posted by freetoroam on 11 January, 2016, 19:22
It may or may not be the parent's fault, kids are smart and they can figure out door locks and gates. It is for this reason why they invented child locks. Kids are smart, adults should be smarter.......of course accidents happen, but a 3 year old getting into a power wheel car in doors, etc etc etc just a bit too weird for me.
Comment icon #20 Posted by BeastieRunner on 12 January, 2016, 0:07
No fear from that 3-yr old. NASCAR is in his future... if he stays alive long enough. And dad, shame on you. Suppose a lot can happen even while being a good parent though. The real-life story of Ricky Bobby.
Comment icon #21 Posted by willowdreams on 13 January, 2016, 11:44
I am still baffled (as you may have noticed) what this car was doing in the house in the first place. Maybe there are no valuables or breakable things lying about which the child could crash into....while daddy is in the bathroom having a dump. But this guy could have a really big house with lots and lots and lots of room and have specific "drive carefully" signs. But from what we see in the video, the house does not look that big.....but hey! who knows, maybe now is just not a good time to discuss it. When my two were little, we had one of those 'jeeps' for our kids, ran on a car battery, we ... [More]
Comment icon #22 Posted by freetoroam on 13 January, 2016, 13:22
When my two were little, we had one of those 'jeeps' for our kids, ran on a car battery, we lived in an apartment and had no place outside to put it,nor would we have been allowed to store such a thing outside our apart doorway. SOO we had an indoor outdoor area rug in the kitchen/dining area, we parked it there when it was not in use. No it really was not that loud, and keep in mind that my two kids are in their 30's now, this was like 22 yrs ago *gasp, i am not that old*.. Parents need to use the bathroom, sometimes bathroom visits are not short and sweet. I have myself gone to the bathroom ... [More]
Comment icon #23 Posted by willowdreams on 13 January, 2016, 13:59
People differ if what they buy their children, When my son was 3 we lived in a flat, we would never had even though about buying a car like that for him, only to cart it outside, down the lift or steps each time and storing it in the flat! It is a matter of what is suitable and a car like that would not have been a suitable purchase. it certainly would not have been an essential part of my sons up bringing and I liked my kitchen, it was a great place for cooking, but not for storing power wheel cars. I have a friend who stores his Harley Davidson in the house, its in the hallway, not that I wo... [More]
Comment icon #24 Posted by freetoroam on 13 January, 2016, 14:09
Actually, it was in phx az, our back door led to a small car drive through, AH! see I was brought up in a flat....16th floor. The flat I lived in with my son when he was 3 was on the 4th floor...I think our apartment/flat situations are completely different.
Comment icon #25 Posted by willowdreams on 13 January, 2016, 14:20
AH! see I was brought up in a flat....16th floor. The flat I lived in with my son when he was 3 was on the 4th floor...I think our apartment/flat situations are completely different. hehe it has been about 19 to 20 yrs since we lived there, but i found the apartment and it looks almost the same, the only diff is the center courtyard.. it had a swing/slide set and there were picnic tables and more grillshttp://www.apartments.com/el-moro-sun-apartments-phoenix-az/ye6tyfr/
Comment icon #26 Posted by MisterMan on 17 January, 2016, 9:26
used his car to climb on to to open the front door, (that still baffles me)then got into his car and then drives onto the road.... I am still baffled (as you may have noticed) what this car was doing in the house in the first place. Did you read the article? He climbed a chair to unlock the door. Nothing in the story indicates the car was inside the house.

New study aims to find evidence of thylacines
3-24-2017
Sightings in Queensland have sparked a new scientific study in to the existence of the Tasmanian tiger.
4,000-year-old tomb is unearthed in Egypt
3-24-2017
The unopened tomb was discovered by archaeologists during a Spanish archaeological mission in West Aswan.
Sleepwalker visits store, tries to buy melon
3-23-2017
A 23-year-old woman had to be escorted home by police after sleepwalking in to a local supermarket.
Scotland could be birthplace of the dinosaurs
3-23-2017
A major shakeup of the dinosaur family tree has suggested that they may have originated in the UK.
Featured book

By Guy Lyon Playfair
A look at the story of Peggy Hodgson and her four children who, between 1977 and 1979, were at the center of one of the most terrifying poltergeist cases ever documented.
How do we find lost satellites ?
Posted 3-24-2017 | 0 comments
A look at the methods scientists use to locate spacecraft with which contact has been lost.

Searching for Japanese bats
Posted 3-23-2017 | 0 comments
The Rimizu limestone caves in Japan are an ideal place to look for hibernating bats.

ISS astronauts answer questions
Posted 3-22-2017 | 0 comments
Shane Kimbrough and Peggy Whitson discuss life in space and what they've been up to.

World's largest surfed wave
Posted 3-21-2017 | 1 comment
Extreme waterman Garrett McNamara surfed this 78ft wave in Portugal back in 2011.

How long do animals sleep ?
Posted 3-20-2017 | 3 comments
Some animals sleep for a mere two hours while others spend most of the day asleep.

My nightly occurrences