Monday, July 24, 2017

Does famous Nessie video show giant eels ?

Posted on Monday, 11 January, 2016 | Comment icon 17 comments

Could large eels account for Loch Ness Monster sightings ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Ben Buxton
A new analysis of a video taken 8 years ago has suggested an alternative explanation for the sighting.
The footage made headlines back in 2007 when Gordon Holmes, a former university technician from Shipley in West Yorkshire, stopped at the side of the road to record what appeared to be a large black creature swimming through the waters of Scotland's enigmatic loch.

Now however US computer expert Bill Appleton has carried out a new analysis of the video and believes that what it actually shows is a group of gigantic eels measuring up to 12ft long.

"I am extremely grateful to the various experts who have analysed the footage and provided me with their opinion of the creatures’ identity," said Holmes. "Since eels do appear strange, ancient scary-like beasties, that may explain several of the Loch Ness sightings over the centuries."

A local news report detailing the original footage can be viewed below.

Source: Scotland Now | Comments (17)

Tags: Loch Ness Monster

Comment icon #8 Posted by cookemeister on 11 January, 2016, 23:58
always liked the "giant" eel theory. Has the new "analysed" footage been released yet? ....eelsquatch?
Comment icon #9 Posted by BeastieRunner on 12 January, 2016, 0:05
I liked the eel theory, too.
Comment icon #10 Posted by cookemeister on 12 January, 2016, 0:08
indeed ! it keeps the romance of an unkown cryptid alive without it having to be a preposterous dinosaur
Comment icon #11 Posted by seax on 12 January, 2016, 0:17
It certainly is something but it just does not swim like an eel, or the smaller versions that I have seen. Then again it was a long way off and not the best quality. I wish something would be found in the loch, maybe a plesiosaur, an extinct whale ...you know something sexy...but I have given up hope on the loch. No doubt there are some big eels there, but it's my humble opinion that's all. Nevertheless, I will keep watching and hoping something new turns up in this world ..never seen before. seax
Comment icon #12 Posted by davros of skaro on 12 January, 2016, 0:39
Most likely a European Conger eel. The inhabit the North Atlantic and since the river Ness empties into the ocean, they probably swam upstream to the Loch and decided to stay. That does not explain the not so Eel-like Nessie souvenirs.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Goodnite on 12 January, 2016, 0:42
That does not explain the not so Eel-like Nessie souvenirs. Much cuter than a eel for sure.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Hammerclaw on 12 January, 2016, 5:06
That film is such a mess, it could have been a personal watercraft for all I could tell.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Mr.United_Nations on 12 January, 2016, 9:58
Someone did catch a very large eel in loch ness? It was a documentry on Animal planet years ago
Comment icon #16 Posted by PersonFromPorlock on 14 January, 2016, 18:18
From what I can remember as a kid walking along the beach, eels have very noticeable skeletons that wash ashore.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Urisk on 15 January, 2016, 8:08
Most likely a European Conger eel. The inhabit the North Atlantic and since the river Ness empties into the ocean, they probably swam upstream to the Loch and decided to stay. It empties via several well-populated locks in the canal into the North Sea. Plus I think congers are strictly salt water. There are very few fish that can actually cope with the transition as they have to alter their physiology in order to do it. I wonder what the pike are like in the loch? Betting there are some heroically collossal specimens! The thing to remember is that no matter how mad the living dinosaur theory i... [More]

Spirituality vs Skepticism
  Why I Think God Exists
  Forgiveness
  Mark of the Beast
 Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs
  Sell it to me.
  Almost time for the 2nd coming?
  Religion
Mystery woman 'wails through letterboxes'
7-23-2017
Several households in England have been plagued by a woman crying through their letterboxes at night.
Robot ventures inside Fukushima reactor 3
7-23-2017
Scientists in Japan have identified what could be fuel debris within the devastated nuclear reactor.
Public names locomotive 'Trainy McTrainface'
7-23-2017
A recent poll in Sweden has shown, once again, why asking the public to name anything is a bad idea.
Did sea creatures push US in to Vietnam War ?
7-22-2017
Back in 1964, the Gulf of Tonkin incident resulted in a renewed commitment to war with Vietnam.
Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

How do fireworks get their colors ?
Posted 7-19-2017 | 0 comments
Fireworks are well known for their colorful explosions, but where do the colors come from ?

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI