Saturday, September 23, 2017

Does famous Nessie video show giant eels ?

Posted on Monday, 11 January, 2016 | Comment icon 17 comments

Could large eels account for Loch Ness Monster sightings ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Ben Buxton
A new analysis of a video taken 8 years ago has suggested an alternative explanation for the sighting.
The footage made headlines back in 2007 when Gordon Holmes, a former university technician from Shipley in West Yorkshire, stopped at the side of the road to record what appeared to be a large black creature swimming through the waters of Scotland's enigmatic loch.

Now however US computer expert Bill Appleton has carried out a new analysis of the video and believes that what it actually shows is a group of gigantic eels measuring up to 12ft long.

"I am extremely grateful to the various experts who have analysed the footage and provided me with their opinion of the creatures’ identity," said Holmes. "Since eels do appear strange, ancient scary-like beasties, that may explain several of the Loch Ness sightings over the centuries."

A local news report detailing the original footage can be viewed below.

Source: Scotland Now | Comments (17)

Tags: Loch Ness Monster

Comment icon #8 Posted by cookemeister on 11 January, 2016, 23:58
always liked the "giant" eel theory. Has the new "analysed" footage been released yet? ....eelsquatch?
Comment icon #9 Posted by BeastieRunner on 12 January, 2016, 0:05
I liked the eel theory, too.
Comment icon #10 Posted by cookemeister on 12 January, 2016, 0:08
indeed ! it keeps the romance of an unkown cryptid alive without it having to be a preposterous dinosaur
Comment icon #11 Posted by seax on 12 January, 2016, 0:17
It certainly is something but it just does not swim like an eel, or the smaller versions that I have seen. Then again it was a long way off and not the best quality. I wish something would be found in the loch, maybe a plesiosaur, an extinct whale ...you know something sexy...but I have given up hope on the loch. No doubt there are some big eels there, but it's my humble opinion that's all. Nevertheless, I will keep watching and hoping something new turns up in this world ..never seen before. seax
Comment icon #12 Posted by davros of skaro on 12 January, 2016, 0:39
Most likely a European Conger eel. The inhabit the North Atlantic and since the river Ness empties into the ocean, they probably swam upstream to the Loch and decided to stay. That does not explain the not so Eel-like Nessie souvenirs.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Goodnite on 12 January, 2016, 0:42
That does not explain the not so Eel-like Nessie souvenirs. Much cuter than a eel for sure.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Hammerclaw on 12 January, 2016, 5:06
That film is such a mess, it could have been a personal watercraft for all I could tell.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Mr.United_Nations on 12 January, 2016, 9:58
Someone did catch a very large eel in loch ness? It was a documentry on Animal planet years ago
Comment icon #16 Posted by PersonFromPorlock on 14 January, 2016, 18:18
From what I can remember as a kid walking along the beach, eels have very noticeable skeletons that wash ashore.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Urisk on 15 January, 2016, 8:08
Most likely a European Conger eel. The inhabit the North Atlantic and since the river Ness empties into the ocean, they probably swam upstream to the Loch and decided to stay. It empties via several well-populated locks in the canal into the North Sea. Plus I think congers are strictly salt water. There are very few fish that can actually cope with the transition as they have to alter their physiology in order to do it. I wonder what the pike are like in the loch? Betting there are some heroically collossal specimens! The thing to remember is that no matter how mad the living dinosaur theory i... [More]

100 people could live on the Moon by 2040
9-22-2017
ESA's ambitious 'Moon village' plan could see humans living on the lunar surface within 25 years.
Man who prevented World War 3 dies aged 77
9-22-2017
Former Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov made a decision in 1983 that may have saved the world.
Doomsayers claim the world will end tomorrow
9-22-2017
Rumors of another apocalyptic collision with the mythical planet Nibiru have been circulating the Internet.
Plants may need to sleep, just like we do
9-21-2017
A new study has suggested that sleep may actually be fundamental to all life, not just to animals.
Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY