Saturday, January 21, 2017

'Chimeras' used to supply transplant organs

Posted on Monday, 11 January, 2016 | Comment icon 22 comments

Can a human-sheep hybrid grow organs for transplant ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 George Gastin
Scientists have been creating human-animal hybrids to help meet the growing demand for donor organs.
With transplant patients often having to wait years for organs, scientists have been looking for increasingly unorthodox ways to try and meet the ever-growing demand.

One of the most promising ideas, one which could have the potential to solve the problem entirely, involves injecting human stem cells in to an animal embryo with the aim of growing actual human organs that can be retrieved for use in transplants once the animal grows and matures.

The research is certainly not without its fair share of controversy however - in particular with regard to the extent to which the human cells will actually become incorporated in to the host.

"My view is that the contribution of human cells is going to be minimal, maybe three percent, maybe five percent," said biologist Pablo Ross from the University of California.

"But what if they contributed to 100 percent of the brain? What if the embryo is mostly human? Itís something we donít expect, but no one has done this experiment, so we canít rule it out."

Source: Independent | Comments (22)

Tags: Hybrid, Chimera, Organs

Comment icon #13 Posted by Imaginarynumber1 on 12 January, 2016, 9:20
For science!!! For the Future!!!
Comment icon #14 Posted by XenoFish on 12 January, 2016, 11:28
Comment icon #15 Posted by Summerin1905 on 12 January, 2016, 16:08
Comment icon #16 Posted by pallidin on 12 January, 2016, 16:39
I own a precious dog, for some years now. She is a bright light in my life. However, if for some reason her life was necessary to be sacrificed or altered in some way in order to save the life of a human... even a total stranger... my compassion and love for humans must take priority. Would I be sad? Of course. But only sad for my precious dog. I would be greatly joyed that a human life was "saved"
Comment icon #17 Posted by GreenmansGod on 12 January, 2016, 19:52
Comment icon #18 Posted by pallidin on 12 January, 2016, 19:55
Like they said, they haven't tried it yet, so they don't really know what they will get. I think they should try it and see what happens. I think it is worth the risk. Pallidin, if your life depended on me sacrificing my dog, sorry about your luck, that is not going to happen. I feel that your life is much more important than the life of my dog.
Comment icon #19 Posted by psyche101 on 12 January, 2016, 23:35
People want to harp on how genetic manipulation is bad. Yes we need to test and test and test to get it right. Yes there will be mistakes. I can see a future where we've created a better us. Where children develop in artificial wombs to prevent external contamination. Even replacement organs grown through some other weird science. We are agents of evolution. It is by our hands that we change the world. I agree, the trap, and argument will be eugenics. It's going to keep rearing it's ugly head as it was atrocious. It has put a huge dent in progress, people misusing breeding principles to create... [More]
Comment icon #20 Posted by psyche101 on 12 January, 2016, 23:39
I feel that your life is much more important than the life of my dog. I'd like you post, but apparently we suddenly have a short quote on likes? I gave out about 5, and started getting no more positive vote messages. Very noble and decent of you. I love my Dogs like kids too, my Betty is nearing 5 now, with luck, she might get another 5 or 6 years yet. Maybe 8, who knows. A human lives for like 80 years. You would be extending a life dramatically. And I feel that is noble of you. It would be a difficult and painful decision, but one that would have far reaching consequences.
Comment icon #21 Posted by alibongo on 13 January, 2016, 1:35
i feel this could be a great addition to the medical community but i don't know what the religious folk would think about this. Religious folk suicide people to death, another 10 in Istanbul today with 25 injured, so they can F.... off. Religious people are moronic, superstitious, f..kwits who do not think, cannot think, because they are too stupid, so they can stuff their opinions up their medieval orifices
Comment icon #22 Posted by pallidin on 13 January, 2016, 17:58
Religious folk suicide people to death, another 10 in Istanbul today with 25 injured, so they can F.... off. Religious people are moronic, superstitious, f..kwits who do not think, cannot think, because they are too stupid, so they can stuff their opinions up their medieval orifices Please, don't hold back your feelings...

Nearby planet Wolf 1061c may be habitable
1-20-2017
Astronomers believe that a planet 14 light years away may be a promising place to look for alien life.
Lost kingdom of Rheged found in Scotland
1-20-2017
Archaeologists believe that they have located the site of a lost kingdom dating back to the Dark Ages.
Sea levels could rise by 30ft, study warns
1-20-2017
Scientists have warned that global sea levels could continue to rise over the coming decades.
Namibia fairy circle mystery solved at last ?
1-19-2017
Ecologists believe that they may have finally solved the mystery behind Namibia's mysterious circles.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
A colorful 'landing' on Pluto
Posted 1-20-2017 | 0 comments
This NASA movie explores would it might be like to land on the dwarf planet Pluto.

The future of warfare
Posted 1-19-2017 | 2 comments
Drone armies and laser cannons may become increasingly common in the near future.

Kowloon Walled City
Posted 1-18-2017 | 1 comment
A look at what was once the most densely populated area on the surface of the planet.

Marshmallows in a vacuum
Posted 1-16-2017 | 2 comments
What happens to a pile of marshmallows when all the air is removed ?

Fighting fire with fire
Posted 1-15-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage learns whether it is possible to use fire (or the sound of fire) to put out fire.

Phantom vehicle
1-6-2017 | Ramer, United States

True ghost stories
1-6-2017 | Southern California

Floating tiles
1-6-2017 | Chewelah, Washington

A haunting in Northern California
12-28-2016 | Northern California

Strange creature in South Africa
12-28-2016 | South Africa, Hoedspruit.

A 15-year-old predicted my future!
12-21-2016 | Katherine, Australia

The haunted pond
12-21-2016 | Essex, Ontario, Canada

The haunted hospital
12-28-2016 | New Plymouth, New Zealand

Loud crash in the night
12-17-2016 | Pennsylvania

Mysterious woman in a blue dress
12-17-2016 | Northern Ireland