Saturday, July 22, 2017

'Chimeras' used to supply transplant organs

Posted on Monday, 11 January, 2016 | Comment icon 22 comments

Can a human-sheep hybrid grow organs for transplant ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 George Gastin
Scientists have been creating human-animal hybrids to help meet the growing demand for donor organs.
With transplant patients often having to wait years for organs, scientists have been looking for increasingly unorthodox ways to try and meet the ever-growing demand.

One of the most promising ideas, one which could have the potential to solve the problem entirely, involves injecting human stem cells in to an animal embryo with the aim of growing actual human organs that can be retrieved for use in transplants once the animal grows and matures.

The research is certainly not without its fair share of controversy however - in particular with regard to the extent to which the human cells will actually become incorporated in to the host.

"My view is that the contribution of human cells is going to be minimal, maybe three percent, maybe five percent," said biologist Pablo Ross from the University of California.

"But what if they contributed to 100 percent of the brain? What if the embryo is mostly human? Itís something we donít expect, but no one has done this experiment, so we canít rule it out."

Source: Independent | Comments (22)

Tags: Hybrid, Chimera, Organs

Comment icon #13 Posted by Imaginarynumber1 on 12 January, 2016, 9:20
For science!!! For the Future!!!
Comment icon #14 Posted by XenoFish on 12 January, 2016, 11:28
Comment icon #15 Posted by Summerin1905 on 12 January, 2016, 16:08
Comment icon #16 Posted by pallidin on 12 January, 2016, 16:39
I own a precious dog, for some years now. She is a bright light in my life. However, if for some reason her life was necessary to be sacrificed or altered in some way in order to save the life of a human... even a total stranger... my compassion and love for humans must take priority. Would I be sad? Of course. But only sad for my precious dog. I would be greatly joyed that a human life was "saved"
Comment icon #17 Posted by GreenmansGod on 12 January, 2016, 19:52
Comment icon #18 Posted by pallidin on 12 January, 2016, 19:55
Like they said, they haven't tried it yet, so they don't really know what they will get. I think they should try it and see what happens. I think it is worth the risk. Pallidin, if your life depended on me sacrificing my dog, sorry about your luck, that is not going to happen. I feel that your life is much more important than the life of my dog.
Comment icon #19 Posted by psyche101 on 12 January, 2016, 23:35
People want to harp on how genetic manipulation is bad. Yes we need to test and test and test to get it right. Yes there will be mistakes. I can see a future where we've created a better us. Where children develop in artificial wombs to prevent external contamination. Even replacement organs grown through some other weird science. We are agents of evolution. It is by our hands that we change the world. I agree, the trap, and argument will be eugenics. It's going to keep rearing it's ugly head as it was atrocious. It has put a huge dent in progress, people misusing breeding principles to create... [More]
Comment icon #20 Posted by psyche101 on 12 January, 2016, 23:39
I feel that your life is much more important than the life of my dog. I'd like you post, but apparently we suddenly have a short quote on likes? I gave out about 5, and started getting no more positive vote messages. Very noble and decent of you. I love my Dogs like kids too, my Betty is nearing 5 now, with luck, she might get another 5 or 6 years yet. Maybe 8, who knows. A human lives for like 80 years. You would be extending a life dramatically. And I feel that is noble of you. It would be a difficult and painful decision, but one that would have far reaching consequences.
Comment icon #21 Posted by alibongo on 13 January, 2016, 1:35
i feel this could be a great addition to the medical community but i don't know what the religious folk would think about this. Religious folk suicide people to death, another 10 in Istanbul today with 25 injured, so they can F.... off. Religious people are moronic, superstitious, f..kwits who do not think, cannot think, because they are too stupid, so they can stuff their opinions up their medieval orifices
Comment icon #22 Posted by pallidin on 13 January, 2016, 17:58
Religious folk suicide people to death, another 10 in Istanbul today with 25 injured, so they can F.... off. Religious people are moronic, superstitious, f..kwits who do not think, cannot think, because they are too stupid, so they can stuff their opinions up their medieval orifices Please, don't hold back your feelings...

Mystery of Abe Lincoln's Bixby letter solved
7-21-2017
Forensic linguists have 'almost certainly' determined who really wrote the famous Civil War-era letter.
Free diver hits bottom of world's deepest pool
7-21-2017
A new video shows veteran free diver Guillaume Nery descending 131ft underwater on only one lungful of air.
SpaceX ditches plans for 2018 Mars landing
7-21-2017
Plans to land a modified version of the company's reusable Dragon capsule on Mars have been scrapped.
Today marks 48 years since first Moon landing
7-20-2017
Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong made history when they set foot on the lunar surface 48 years ago today.
Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

How do fireworks get their colors ?
Posted 7-19-2017 | 0 comments
Fireworks are well known for their colorful explosions, but where do the colors come from ?

The man who swims towards sharks
Posted 7-18-2017 | 1 comment
Marine biologist Yannis doesn't avoid sharks, he deliberately seeks them out.

Dog for mayor ?
Posted 7-17-2017 | 1 comment
What happens exactly when a town votes for a dog or a cat to be the mayor ? How does this work ?

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI