Tuesday, November 21, 2017

'Chimeras' used to supply transplant organs

Posted on Monday, 11 January, 2016 | Comment icon 22 comments

Can a human-sheep hybrid grow organs for transplant ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 George Gastin
Scientists have been creating human-animal hybrids to help meet the growing demand for donor organs.
With transplant patients often having to wait years for organs, scientists have been looking for increasingly unorthodox ways to try and meet the ever-growing demand.

One of the most promising ideas, one which could have the potential to solve the problem entirely, involves injecting human stem cells in to an animal embryo with the aim of growing actual human organs that can be retrieved for use in transplants once the animal grows and matures.

The research is certainly not without its fair share of controversy however - in particular with regard to the extent to which the human cells will actually become incorporated in to the host.

"My view is that the contribution of human cells is going to be minimal, maybe three percent, maybe five percent," said biologist Pablo Ross from the University of California.

"But what if they contributed to 100 percent of the brain? What if the embryo is mostly human? Itís something we donít expect, but no one has done this experiment, so we canít rule it out."

Source: Independent | Comments (22)

Tags: Hybrid, Chimera, Organs

Comment icon #13 Posted by Imaginarynumber1 on 12 January, 2016, 9:20
For science!!! For the Future!!!
Comment icon #14 Posted by XenoFish on 12 January, 2016, 11:28
Comment icon #15 Posted by Summerin1905 on 12 January, 2016, 16:08
Comment icon #16 Posted by pallidin on 12 January, 2016, 16:39
I own a precious dog, for some years now. She is a bright light in my life. However, if for some reason her life was necessary to be sacrificed or altered in some way in order to save the life of a human... even a total stranger... my compassion and love for humans must take priority. Would I be sad? Of course. But only sad for my precious dog. I would be greatly joyed that a human life was "saved"
Comment icon #17 Posted by GreenmansGod on 12 January, 2016, 19:52
Comment icon #18 Posted by pallidin on 12 January, 2016, 19:55
Like they said, they haven't tried it yet, so they don't really know what they will get. I think they should try it and see what happens. I think it is worth the risk. Pallidin, if your life depended on me sacrificing my dog, sorry about your luck, that is not going to happen. I feel that your life is much more important than the life of my dog.
Comment icon #19 Posted by psyche101 on 12 January, 2016, 23:35
People want to harp on how genetic manipulation is bad. Yes we need to test and test and test to get it right. Yes there will be mistakes. I can see a future where we've created a better us. Where children develop in artificial wombs to prevent external contamination. Even replacement organs grown through some other weird science. We are agents of evolution. It is by our hands that we change the world. I agree, the trap, and argument will be eugenics. It's going to keep rearing it's ugly head as it was atrocious. It has put a huge dent in progress, people misusing breeding principles to create... [More]
Comment icon #20 Posted by psyche101 on 12 January, 2016, 23:39
I feel that your life is much more important than the life of my dog. I'd like you post, but apparently we suddenly have a short quote on likes? I gave out about 5, and started getting no more positive vote messages. Very noble and decent of you. I love my Dogs like kids too, my Betty is nearing 5 now, with luck, she might get another 5 or 6 years yet. Maybe 8, who knows. A human lives for like 80 years. You would be extending a life dramatically. And I feel that is noble of you. It would be a difficult and painful decision, but one that would have far reaching consequences.
Comment icon #21 Posted by alibongo on 13 January, 2016, 1:35
i feel this could be a great addition to the medical community but i don't know what the religious folk would think about this. Religious folk suicide people to death, another 10 in Istanbul today with 25 injured, so they can F.... off. Religious people are moronic, superstitious, f..kwits who do not think, cannot think, because they are too stupid, so they can stuff their opinions up their medieval orifices
Comment icon #22 Posted by pallidin on 13 January, 2016, 17:58
Religious folk suicide people to death, another 10 in Istanbul today with 25 injured, so they can F.... off. Religious people are moronic, superstitious, f..kwits who do not think, cannot think, because they are too stupid, so they can stuff their opinions up their medieval orifices Please, don't hold back your feelings...

Entire family of mammoths goes on sale
11-21-2017
The skeletons, which include a one-year-old baby, were discovered by builders in Siberia 15 years ago.
Mystery still surrounds UFO over Oregon
11-21-2017
Back in October, aviation authorities investigated an unidentified aircraft flying over the West Coast.
Interstellar visitor is red and very dark
11-21-2017
An asteroid thought to have come from interstellar space is carrying organic carbon-based molecules.
Could dust have carried alien life to Earth ?
11-20-2017
Scientists believe that interstellar dust streams might be able to transfer organisms between planets.
What do we know of the giant squid ?
Posted 11-20-2017 | 1 comment
The giant squid is so elusive that it took until 2004 for someone to photograph a live specimen.

Slow motion katana slice
Posted 11-18-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to slice through a row of water bottles using a katana sword.

What happened to the Library of Alexandria ?
Posted 11-17-2017 | 5 comments
What really happened to the vast wealth of knowledge stored in the ancient library ?

World's largest sticker ball
Posted 11-14-2017 | 1 comment
This enormous ball of stickers contains somewhere in the region of 200,000 stickers.

Caving claustrophobia
Posted 11-10-2017 | 12 comments
A montage of shots from caving in some of the most cramped conditions on Earth.

Strange occurrences
11-15-2017 | Fife

Mysterious music box song
11-15-2017 | U.S.A

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia