Friday, July 21, 2017

Mystery booms plague New Jersey residents

Posted on Monday, 18 January, 2016 | Comment icon 28 comments

The sounds have been heard for about a week. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Doug Kerr
Law enforcement agencies have been left baffled by a spate of unexplained explosions in Fair Lawn.
It is a phenomenon that has been reported in several countries over the last few years and now residents of a small town in New Jersey have become the latest to hear a series of mysterious booms which some have likened to the sound a canon might make when it is being fired.

Local resident Danielle McManus and her family were among the witnesses to come forward.

"We were, like, looking at each other like, ‘What was that?’" she told CBS News. "If we didn’t know any better, it almost sounds like a cannon. It was so deep and just like, echoey."

Fair Lawn police have been searching the area for clues but have so far come up empty.

Source: CBS Local | Comments (28)

Tags: New Jersey, Fair Lawn, Booms

Comment icon #19 Posted by stereologist on 23 January, 2016, 20:43
The mayor said "I’ve had everything from people telling me about fireworks to aliens" and didn't really disagree with anyone in the story. It was a person close to the purported source of the PG&E plant that said it was not coming from there. The Police Chief seems to think it was a series of blown transformers from the plant, but the mayor reached out to the company and they said no. Hopefully a simple solution can be found soon so another mystery boom can be crossed off the list. I still say there is no point in assuming that the mayor knows more than anyone else. The mayor confirms in t... [More]
Comment icon #20 Posted by Dr.Brian on 25 January, 2016, 0:37
I still find it highly unlikely that sonic booms would create such a small area of reports. While less likely I would say that frost quakes, or cryoseism, are probably to blame for the small area as well as the types of sounds reported in the area. The mayor and police chief have excluded a number of possibilities based on what I have read through a variety of sources. While the paranoia has quickly subsided about this story, sadly this area had to contend with bomb threats to their local schools on Monday and now this snowstorm so no one is really talking about the booms at this point. I'm no... [More]
Comment icon #21 Posted by Jungleboogie on 25 January, 2016, 2:10
I live in West Long Branch NJ and I heard one of the booms on the 16th of January, it resonated very loud and shook the floor of the house, I heard no sirens and I've never heard a thing about it but I know its tied to what's happening in Fairlawn, what's interesting is that there were other booms heard around the country on the same day. I don't pretend to know what made the noise but I wonder if it is subterranean. The USGS didn't show any activity on the 16th, so we can probably eliminate earthquakes. Not even a 1 registered. The nearest was a 3.0 in West Virginia a day later on the 17th. T... [More]
Comment icon #22 Posted by docyabut2 on 29 January, 2016, 0:11
http://www.aol.com/a...2&pLid=96736275 Jan 28 NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Residents in New Jersey, New York and Connecticut reported feeling earthquake-like shaking on Thursday afternoon, but U.S. seismologists said the vibrations were likely the result of a sonic boom It was not immediately clear what had caused the sonic boom, though some news reports suggested that military aircraft from McGuire Air Force Base, approximately 35 miles north of Hammonton, were the likely source. The McGuire base said in a Twitter post around 3:30 p.m. that its training ranges were clear and that none of its air... [More]
Comment icon #23 Posted by davros of skaro on 29 January, 2016, 8:53
I almost gave away the plot of a nice science fiction book I will probably never write.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Imaginarynumber1 on 29 January, 2016, 13:01
It was the damned navy what done it. Officials say sonic booms heard and felt along the coast from New Jersey to Connecticut were caused by military fighter jets conducting tests. A Navy spokeswoman says an F-35C and F-18 from Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Maryland, were conducting supersonic testing off the coast Thursday afternoon. The F-35C has a top speed of nearly 1,200 mph. http://6abc.com/news/navy-fighter-jets-caused-sonic-booms-along-nj-coast/1177618/
Comment icon #25 Posted by Lilly on 29 January, 2016, 13:22
Comment icon #26 Posted by Imaginarynumber1 on 29 January, 2016, 13:24
Testing of some new secret aircraft perhaps? Naturally, they'd deny it (it being secret and all). Alien in nature. no doubt...
Comment icon #27 Posted by Sakari on 30 January, 2016, 2:39
Post #25
Comment icon #28 Posted by ilovejules25 on 4 February, 2016, 16:40
Wasn't one of the theories behind mysterious explosion sounds credited towards the tunneling and construction of DUMBs? Or I should say the conspiracy theory...

Mystery of Abe Lincoln's Bixby letter solved
7-21-2017
Forensic linguists have 'almost certainly' determined who really wrote the famous Civil War-era letter.
Free diver hits bottom of world's deepest pool
7-21-2017
A new video shows veteran free diver Guillaume Nery descending 131ft underwater on only one lungful of air.
SpaceX ditches plans for 2018 Mars landing
7-21-2017
Plans to land a modified version of the company's reusable Dragon capsule on Mars have been scrapped.
Today marks 48 years since first Moon landing
7-20-2017
Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong made history when they set foot on the lunar surface 48 years ago today.
Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

How do fireworks get their colors ?
Posted 7-19-2017 | 0 comments
Fireworks are well known for their colorful explosions, but where do the colors come from ?

The man who swims towards sharks
Posted 7-18-2017 | 1 comment
Marine biologist Yannis doesn't avoid sharks, he deliberately seeks them out.

Dog for mayor ?
Posted 7-17-2017 | 1 comment
What happens exactly when a town votes for a dog or a cat to be the mayor ? How does this work ?

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI