Saturday, December 10, 2016

Man can stick bottles and cans to his head

Posted on Monday, 25 January, 2016 | Comment icon 17 comments

Keeton can stick anything to his skin. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 LWP Communications / Flickr
A man who has become known as 'canhead' possesses the unique ability to stick objects to his head.
Jamie Keeton of Evergreen Park in Illinois is able to perform the peculiar feat due to a medical condition so rare that doctors don't even have a name for it.

He first discovered his unique talent quite by accident during a ball game 23 years ago.

"I was trying to cool my head down because it was a hot day. And all of a sudden they hit a home run," he said. "I went up to grab it... I missed it, and then said, 'Where's my drink?' Everybody was laughing... The drink was stuck to the back of my head. The drink was pouring out of it."

Now known as 'canhead', Keeton has since become something of a celebrity and last week even managed to secure a Guinness World Record in China for sticking eight cans to his head.

Nobody knows exactly how he is able to do it but one possibility is that his abnormally high body temperature of 100 degrees may be causing his pores to act a bit like suction-cups.

Source: UPI.com | Comments (17)

Tags: Canhead, Jamie Keeton

Comment icon #8 Posted by Lucas Cooper Merrin on 25 January, 2016, 16:57
Its sweat! I can stick cutlery and pans to myself after ive worked up a sweat!
Comment icon #9 Posted by Twin on 25 January, 2016, 19:54
I can stick two coke cans to my forehead but it actually works better if they are full (not opened). It's just the suction action. The lobes of my forehead are shaped just right for coke - other brands don't work so well. I put the can on my damp forehead & manually move the skin away from the can a little creating suction.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Twin on 25 January, 2016, 19:56
Comment icon #11 Posted by Twin on 25 January, 2016, 20:00
See him slide it a little when he places it? that pulls on the skin a little creating suction. No mystery.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Chibadiba on 25 January, 2016, 21:02
I present you with the newest member of the X-Men, Can Head!
Comment icon #13 Posted by kapow53 on 26 January, 2016, 1:56
This man is a true American hero.
Comment icon #14 Posted by qxcontinuum on 27 January, 2016, 5:33
i can do the same thing. It is called suction and requires a bit of fat
Comment icon #15 Posted by Ashyne on 27 January, 2016, 15:17
His body temperature is at 100 degrees always? All the water in his body must be boiling and turning into steam then.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Ashyne on 27 January, 2016, 15:23
ChrLrz, I dont know any studies but the BASIC, not sure about advanced, science. Most cans and bottles have a concave area at bottm of can, not completely flat. If his pores are acting like suction cups then it needs a complete seal around the can. The concave part of his head fits perfectly inside that concave and between that and pores it suctions it to his head. I dont think flat bottomed would work or even if his head was just slightly different shaped head because that seal around bottom of can is flush with skin. I also believe that is the case as all the flat bottomed objects are placed... [More]
Comment icon #17 Posted by AustinHinton on 27 January, 2016, 22:07
He must have a very magnetic personality...

New Rendlesham UFO witness comes forward
12-9-2016
A former security police officer has described the object he witnessed that night as 'not of this world'.
Legendary astronaut John Glenn dies aged 95
12-9-2016
Glenn became a national hero back in 1962 when he became the first American ever to orbit the Earth.
Actual dinosaur tail found preserved in amber
12-8-2016
The unprecedented 99 million-year-old specimen contains preserved bones, soft tissues and feathers.
Mars One delays first manned mission to Mars
12-8-2016
The Netherlands-based firm has pushed back its ambitious plans by several years due to funding issues.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
Why do some coins have ridges ?
Posted 12-9-2016 | 2 comments
What is the purpose of the ridges found around the edges of some coins ?

Exploding 6ft water balloon in slow motion
Posted 12-8-2016 | 1 comment
The Slo Mo Guys film what happens when you sit inside a giant exploding water balloon.

What happens when you swallow gum ?
Posted 12-7-2016 | 3 comments
Ever swallowed a piece of chewing gum by accident ? Here's what happens.

Indestructible coating ?
Posted 12-6-2016 | 5 comments
A look at polyurea, an elastomer that can make objects extremely difficult to damage.

World's longest shout
Posted 12-5-2016 | 1 comment
Christian Kinner from Germany managed to shout for over 43 seconds non-stop.

Not my daughter