Wednesday, September 20, 2017

1950s 'mammoth meat' was actually sea turtle

Posted on Friday, 5 February, 2016 | Comment icon 34 comments

Attendees had looked forward to sampling a small helping of mammoth. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Scientists have debunked the claim that mammoth meat was served at an Explorers Club dinner in New York.
The event's menu, which would go on to become something of an urban legend, was said to have included such delicacies as Pacific spider crabs, bison steaks and even the meat from an extinct animal that was thought to be either woolly mammoth or a species of giant ground sloth.

The prehistoric meat was allegedly taken from a place called 'Woolly Cove' on Akutan Island and shipped to New York in advance of the meal. Commander Wendell Phillips Dodge, who had been promoting the banquet, sent out press notices to let people know that it would be there.

Many of those who did sample the meat at the dinner that day probably believed that they really were chewing on the remains of a prehistoric species, but now, more than 60 years on, a small piece, which had been sent to Explorers Club member Paul Griswold Howes after he had been unable to attend, has been rigorously analyzed using modern techniques to determine just what animal it belonged to.

Unsurprisingly the meat wasn't that of a mammoth - it was in fact the meat of a sea turtle.

"Iím sure people wanted to believe it," said study co-author Jessica Glass of Yale University.

"They had no idea that many years later a PhD student would come along and figure this out with DNA sequencing techniques."

Source: The Guardian | Comments (34)

Tags: Mammoth, Meat

Comment icon #25 Posted by Harte on 26 February, 2016, 0:02
I don't think you could pay me to eat a long dead mammoth, even if it was preserved. That would be some pretty bad freezer burn. So, how about my elephant recipe? Harte
Comment icon #26 Posted by seaturtlehorsesnake on 7 March, 2016, 7:10
i think you should use rock hyraxes instead of squirrels
Comment icon #27 Posted by Harte on 7 March, 2016, 10:37
I see. Buy local, eh? Harte
Comment icon #28 Posted by Mangoze on 7 March, 2016, 12:34
On the other hand, I'd love to eat an elephant. Say, a stuffed elephant - maybe stuffed with camels that are stuffed with goats that are stuffed with rabbits that are stuffed with squirrels. Maybe a few pearl onions in the squirrels. I'd make the gravy. Harte Have you seen this?http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1584694/
Comment icon #29 Posted by Harte on 7 March, 2016, 16:56
Have you seen this? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1584694/ No, but I do have a recipe for stuffed elephant foot. Can't find the main ingredient though. Harte
Comment icon #30 Posted by back to earth on 8 March, 2016, 6:17
Well the race is on between various countries including russia and south korea to clone a mammoth so perhaps one day it really will be served as a meal in some exclusive place like the Explorers Club. At first ..... then its McMammoth time ! I managed to clone a teenie little one , but unfortunately I ran over it in the driveway
Comment icon #31 Posted by seaturtlehorsesnake on 8 March, 2016, 9:40
i just realized that i should be deeply offended by this story!
Comment icon #32 Posted by TopToffee on 9 March, 2016, 7:22
why using sea turtle meat ?, shouldn't they use elephant meat ?, i though the closest extant relative to mammoth is elephant The sea turtle is extremely tasty unfortunately.It was nearly its downfall
Comment icon #33 Posted by Myles on 15 March, 2016, 15:53
why using sea turtle meat ?, shouldn't they use elephant meat ?, i though the closest extant relative to mammoth is elephant I imagine they just wanted something that was unlike what they were used to. I know you could prepare sea turtle most ways and I wouldn't know what it was.
Comment icon #34 Posted by BeastieRunner on 22 March, 2016, 19:44
I guess Sea Turtle was really good, huh?

550 million-year-old creature mystery solved
9-20-2017
Scientists believe that they have finally worked out what type of creature 'Dickinsonia' actually was.
Porpoise unearthed in medieval graveyard
9-20-2017
A recent archaeological dig near Guernsey has yielded something rather unexpected - a porpoise skeleton.
Mystery surrounds flushed money in Geneva
9-19-2017
An unknown individual has been flushing thousands of euros down the toilet and nobody knows why.
'Octopus city' found off coast of Australia
9-19-2017
Members of the gloomy octopus species have created their own underwater settlement dubbed 'Octlantis'.
Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Meet the microscopic life in your home
Posted 9-17-2017 | 0 comments
Think your home is free of meddlesome microscopic life forms ? Think again.

Are rats friends or foes ?
Posted 9-16-2017 | 3 comments
Rats are certainly not humanity's favorite animals, but just how bad are they really ?

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY