Tuesday, July 25, 2017

1,000-year-old Viking site found in Canada

Posted on Monday, 4 April, 2016 | Comment icon 95 comments

The Vikings reached North America over a millennium ago. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Wolfmann
Archaeologists have unearthed what is only the second known Viking site ever discovered in North America.
Christopher Columbus has often been attributed with discovering America - a feat for which he has gone down in history - but in reality the continent had actually been frequented multiple times by Europeans many centuries before the Italian explorer had even been born.

Among the early seafarers to have reached North America were the Vikings who were known to have constructed a waystation at L’Anse aux Meadows in Newfoundland some 1,000 years ago.

Now archaeologists have revealed that a second Viking site has been found - this time at the peninsula of Point Rosee which is situated several hundred miles to the south.

The discovery not only cements the presence of the Vikings in North America but also suggests that they had been there a lot longer and had travelled far further inland than anyone had ever realized.

"The sagas suggest a short period of activity and a very brief and failed colonisation attempt," said archaeologist Douglas Bolender. "L’Anse aux Meadows fits well with that story but is only one site. "

"Point Rosee could reinforce that story or completely change it, if the dating is different from L’Anse aux Meadows. We could end up with a much longer period of Norse activity in the New World."

Source: Independent | Comments (95)

Tags: Vikings, Canada

Comment icon #86 Posted by Hanslune on 10 April, 2016, 15:27
Only if your Volunteering to cover travel expenses and lodging for a month in Oslo. (You will need to cover kmt's expenses and remunerate him for for time explaining some of Heyerdahl's theories now considered less than accurate to me) Sorry dudes I was hoping you'd paid me a finders fee.
Comment icon #87 Posted by Jarocal on 10 April, 2016, 16:35
Sorry dudes I was hoping you'd paid me a finders fee. I am well aware of Heyerdahl and even have copies of the publications previously banned here for copyright issues. At the end of the day I just wanted a month long holiday in Oslo at someone else's expense...
Comment icon #88 Posted by Hanslune on 10 April, 2016, 18:43
I am well aware of Heyerdahl and even have copies of the publications previously banned here for copyright issues. At the end of the day I just wanted a month long holiday in Oslo at someone else's expense... Oslo is good for a few days only - too expensive. For a month I would suggest renting an apartment in Carcassonne France, or a treking holiday in Nepal or best yet Moorea.
Comment icon #89 Posted by Jarocal on 10 April, 2016, 20:24
Oslo is good for a few days only - too expensive. The reason I was encouraging you to foot the bill... For a month I would suggest renting an apartment in Carcassonne France, or a treking holiday in Nepal or best yet Moorea. Without offending the inhabitants of the areas you mentioned, if I take a month off of work I am spending that time in a rural location East of the Mississippi, North of the Gulf of Mexico, and South of The Mason-Dixon line. I believe there is a valid reason why God put vast oceanic boundaries between where humans evolved on Earth and the Utopian paradise that is the south... [More]
Comment icon #90 Posted by Hanslune on 10 April, 2016, 21:28
The reason I was encouraging you to foot the bill... Without offending the inhabitants of the areas you mentioned, if I take a month off of work I am spending that time in a rural location East of the Mississippi, North of the Gulf of Mexico, and South of The Mason-Dixon line. I believe there is a valid reason why God put vast oceanic boundaries between where humans evolved on Earth and the Utopian paradise that is the southern portion of the Appalachian Mountain Range in North America. I think you meant Hawaii?
Comment icon #91 Posted by jaylemurph on 10 April, 2016, 21:28
I believe there is a valid reason why God put vast oceanic boundaries between where humans evolved on Earth and the Utopian paradise that is the southern portion of the Appalachian Mountain Range in North America. ...I think so, too, but probably for the opposite reason. --Jaylemurph
Comment icon #92 Posted by Jarocal on 11 April, 2016, 12:24
...I think so, too, but probably for the opposite reason. --Jaylemurph Prolonged protection of the pristine natural paradise from the perpetual pillaging promulgated by a parasitic hominid species?
Comment icon #93 Posted by Gingitsune on 22 April, 2016, 3:37
A few days ago, live science produced a summary of three possible viking site in Canada, Point Rosee, Sop's Arm and Nanook. http://www.livescience.com/54439-three-possible-viking-outposts-discovered.html The Sop's Arm's pits are new to me, anyone heard of it?
Comment icon #94 Posted by Gingitsune on 25 April, 2016, 23:18
So articles about Sop's Arm, since no one seems to know anything about it: http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=62146&latest=1 More analysis for the site, which warn that nothing viking was found associated so far with the site and no dating of the pit were made so far: http://www.heathenhof.com/vikings-in-the-new-world/ Sop's Arm seems to be very, very speculative at the moment, for all we know it could be made by Beothuks in the 13 century, Basque whaling fishermen in the 16th century or by locals in the Victorian Era...
Comment icon #95 Posted by Gingitsune on 26 April, 2016, 2:36
I have a 30 pages long article about Sop's Arm's pits and why they could be relevant, maybe. ABSTRACT. Two interwoven topics are dealt with, firstly a new interpretation of the Icelandic Sagas and historical written sources on the Viking age voyages to North America, leading to a theory on the location of Vínland, and secondly an archaeological survey of deer hunting pitfalls in Newfoundland, which were possibly dug by the Nordic voyagers a millenium ago. According to the theory of the article, Vínland is the modern day Newfoundland, and the Straumfjord of the sagas, where Thorfinn Karlsefni a... [More]

New species of giant sunfish discovered
7-24-2017
Marine researcher Marianne Nyegaard has identified the first new species of sunfish in over 130 years.
Nazi gold reportedly found in WWII shipwreck
7-24-2017
A chest thought to be filled with Nazi gold has been found in the wreckage of the scuttled SS Minden.
Mystery woman 'wails through letterboxes'
7-23-2017
Several households in England have been plagued by a woman crying through their letterboxes at night.
Robot ventures inside Fukushima reactor 3
7-23-2017
Scientists in Japan have identified what could be fuel debris within the devastated nuclear reactor.
Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI