Friday, July 21, 2017
Contact us    |    Advertise    |   Help   RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos
Find: in

Incredible new jellyfish species discovered


Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2016 | Comment icon 11 comments

The jellyfish was caught on camera by a deep-sea ROV. Image Credit: YouTube / oceanexplorergov
Scientists exploring the depths of the Mariana Trench have come across an otherworldly looking creature.
The eye-catching deep-sea jellyfish, which looks like something out of the James Cameron science fiction movie 'The Abyss', is both beautiful and mysterious in equal measure.

It was filmed 2.3 miles beneath the surface of the sea at the Enigma Seamount in the Mariana Trench using a special remote-operated vehicle called Deep Discoverer.

While little is known about this enigmatic denizen of the deep, researchers believe that it is likely to be an ambush predator that waits with its tentacles outstretched for an unwary victim to pass by.

Footage captured by the ROV of this impressive new species can be viewed below.


Source: Scientific American | Comments (11)

Tags: Mariana Trench, Jellyfish

Recent comments on this story
Comment icon #2 Posted by Skulduggery on 29 April, 2016, 18:43
It does! This is what happened when a metroid bred with the FSM.
Comment icon #3 Posted by PrisonerX on 29 April, 2016, 20:47
Pretty cool. Stories like this should open people's minds to the possibility of land-based creatures, such as the sasquatch, existing being a very possible reality. The deep forests/jungles/etc. too still keep secrets from us.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Still Waters on 29 April, 2016, 21:09
Neat
Comment icon #5 Posted by barbco196 on 29 April, 2016, 22:28
Wow! I want one.
Comment icon #6 Posted by BeastieRunner on 29 April, 2016, 22:52
More underwater expeditions please!
Comment icon #7 Posted by Infernal Gnu on 30 April, 2016, 0:47
I want one for my aquarium! I will place several hundred pound weights on top of it to simulate the tremendous water pressure it lives in and use tinted glass. It will never suspect it is no longer 2.3 miles down!
Comment icon #8 Posted by Astra. on 30 April, 2016, 4:22
Beautiful - it's amazing what life we are still discovering on this amazing planet.
Comment icon #9 Posted by MissJatti on 30 April, 2016, 6:11
I have been told about a year ago, that we humans only discovered about 10% of our planet. I wonder what strangeness we can find in the other 90%
Comment icon #10 Posted by Ozfactor on 30 April, 2016, 8:58
magical realism
Comment icon #11 Posted by Codenwarra on 30 April, 2016, 10:10
Cute as a button


Please Login or Register to post a comment.


  On the forums
Forum posts:
Forum topics:
Members:

5946930
256056
168234

 
Mystery of Abe Lincoln's Bixby letter solved
7-21-2017
Forensic linguists have 'almost certainly' determined who really wrote the famous Civil War-era letter.
Free diver hits bottom of world's deepest pool
7-21-2017
A new video shows veteran free diver Guillaume Nery descending 131ft underwater on only one lungful of air.
SpaceX ditches plans for 2018 Mars landing
7-21-2017
Plans to land a modified version of the company's reusable Dragon capsule on Mars have been scrapped.
Today marks 48 years since first Moon landing
7-20-2017
Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong made history when they set foot on the lunar surface 48 years ago today.
Featured Videos
Gallery icon 
Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments
These remarkable dolphins have come up with a unique way to catch themselves a meal.
 
Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.
 
How do fireworks get their colors ?
Posted 7-19-2017 | 0 comments
Fireworks are well known for their colorful explosions, but where do the colors come from ?
 
The man who swims towards sharks
Posted 7-18-2017 | 1 comment
Marine biologist Yannis doesn't avoid sharks, he deliberately seeks them out.
 
Dog for mayor ?
Posted 7-17-2017 | 1 comment
What happens exactly when a town votes for a dog or a cat to be the mayor ? How does this work ?
 
 View: More videos
Stories & Experiences
Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan
 
My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca
 
I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland
 
My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama
 
Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI
 
Craig is here
6-10-2017 | Phoenix AZ
 
We saw the same thing!
6-10-2017 | Pooler, GA
 
 
Three female faces
6-5-2017 | Illinois (IL)
 
Encounter at 3:33 AM
6-5-2017 | Budapest
 

         More stories | Send us your story
 
Top   |  Home   |   Forum   |   News   |   Image Gallery   |  Columns   |   Encyclopedia   |   Videos   |   Polls
UM-X 10.7 Unexplained-Mysteries.com 2001-2017
Privacy Policy and Disclaimer   |   Cookies   |   Advertise   |   Contact   |   Help/FAQ