Thursday, July 27, 2017

Long-lost 1890s HG Wells ghost story revealed

Posted on Saturday, 26 November, 2016 | Comment icon 7 comments

HG Wells in 1890. Image Credit: Library of the London School of Economics and Political Science
The man behind 'The Time Machine' and other literary classics also wrote an unpublished ghost story.
Some of the 19th century author's best known works include 'The War of the Worlds', 'The Invisible Man', and 'The Island of Doctor Moreau', but beyond his most famous titles there also lies an unseen gem hidden within a large archive of his manuscripts at the University of Illinois.

Discovered by Andrew Gulli, editor of the Strand, the new story, which is entitled 'The Haunted Ceiling', is a macabre tale involving strange activities occurring at an old house.

"Initially, from the titles of the manuscripts, I thought I happened upon lots of unpublished works, but those thousands of pages were narrowed down to this delightful story," said Gulli.

The beginning of the story reads:

"Don't you see it?" he said.
"See what?"
"The - thing. The woman."
I shook my head and looked at him.
"All right then," he said abruptly. "Don't see it!"

The full story is due to be published this week in the Strand magazine.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (7)

Tags: HG Wells, Ghost Story

Comment icon #1 Posted by Rofflaren on 26 November, 2016, 12:46
Awesome... Will definately buy it when it gets published
Comment icon #2 Posted by brlesq1 on 27 November, 2016, 15:48
Sounds like a must-buy to me...
Comment icon #3 Posted by kobolds on 30 November, 2016, 16:40
maybe .. , I never read any horror/haunted/ghost stories (non science fiction) written by HG Wells. I didn't even know he wrote some until now.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Mark56 on 17 December, 2016, 4:35
Talk about a man ahead of his time. He wasn't a writer , he was a prophet.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Kismit on 17 December, 2016, 5:51
Love the use of narative in that first line. no good story should ever start at the begining.
Comment icon #6 Posted by hswells on 26 December, 2016, 2:25
I found H.G Wells every stories quite fascinating. I don't konw where his imagination come from, it seems he has almost same and identical imagination as me. that is why my english name is wellsand first nameinitial is HS.
Comment icon #7 Posted by highdesert50 on 28 February, 2017, 4:08
Well worth the short read. Wells characteristically involves the reader and then encourages the reader to come to a personal conclusion.

California residents report 'Chupacabra'
7-27-2017
Alleged sightings of the cryptozoological creature have sparked concerns over the safety of local pets.
Our atoms came from far across the universe
7-27-2017
A new study has revealed that half of the atoms that make up our bodies have come from beyond the galaxy.
Private firm set to land on the Moon in 2019
7-27-2017
Astrobotic is aiming to land its unmanned Peregrine lunar lander on the surface of the Moon in two years' time.
3,500-year-old lunch box found in Swiss Alps
7-26-2017
An extraordinarily well-preserved lunch box has been discovered on Switzerland's Lotschberg mountain.
Octopus goes for a walk
Posted 7-27-2017 | 3 comments
As this video shows, not all octopus' limit their exploration to the bottom of the sea.

Augmented reality
Posted 7-26-2017 | 1 comment
A look at a new technology that superimposes computer-generated images over the real world.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI