Saturday, September 23, 2017

Long-lost 1890s HG Wells ghost story revealed

Posted on Saturday, 26 November, 2016 | Comment icon 7 comments

HG Wells in 1890. Image Credit: Library of the London School of Economics and Political Science
The man behind 'The Time Machine' and other literary classics also wrote an unpublished ghost story.
Some of the 19th century author's best known works include 'The War of the Worlds', 'The Invisible Man', and 'The Island of Doctor Moreau', but beyond his most famous titles there also lies an unseen gem hidden within a large archive of his manuscripts at the University of Illinois.

Discovered by Andrew Gulli, editor of the Strand, the new story, which is entitled 'The Haunted Ceiling', is a macabre tale involving strange activities occurring at an old house.

"Initially, from the titles of the manuscripts, I thought I happened upon lots of unpublished works, but those thousands of pages were narrowed down to this delightful story," said Gulli.

The beginning of the story reads:

"Don't you see it?" he said.
"See what?"
"The - thing. The woman."
I shook my head and looked at him.
"All right then," he said abruptly. "Don't see it!"

The full story is due to be published this week in the Strand magazine.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (7)

Tags: HG Wells, Ghost Story

Comment icon #1 Posted by Rofflaren on 26 November, 2016, 12:46
Awesome... Will definately buy it when it gets published
Comment icon #2 Posted by brlesq1 on 27 November, 2016, 15:48
Sounds like a must-buy to me...
Comment icon #3 Posted by kobolds on 30 November, 2016, 16:40
maybe .. , I never read any horror/haunted/ghost stories (non science fiction) written by HG Wells. I didn't even know he wrote some until now.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Mark56 on 17 December, 2016, 4:35
Talk about a man ahead of his time. He wasn't a writer , he was a prophet.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Kismit on 17 December, 2016, 5:51
Love the use of narative in that first line. no good story should ever start at the begining.
Comment icon #6 Posted by hswells on 26 December, 2016, 2:25
I found H.G Wells every stories quite fascinating. I don't konw where his imagination come from, it seems he has almost same and identical imagination as me. that is why my english name is wellsand first nameinitial is HS.
Comment icon #7 Posted by highdesert50 on 28 February, 2017, 4:08
Well worth the short read. Wells characteristically involves the reader and then encourages the reader to come to a personal conclusion.

Juno captures stunning new images of Jupiter
9-23-2017
NASA's Juno probe has sent back four breathtaking new images of the gas giant's swirling atmosphere.
100 people could live on the Moon by 2040
9-22-2017
ESA's ambitious 'Moon village' plan could see humans living on the lunar surface within 25 years.
Man who prevented World War 3 dies aged 77
9-22-2017
Former Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov made a decision in 1983 that may have saved the world.
Doomsayers claim the world will end tomorrow
9-22-2017
Rumors of another apocalyptic collision with the mythical planet Nibiru have been circulating the Internet.
Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY