Monday, April 24, 2017

Long-lost 1890s HG Wells ghost story revealed

Posted on Saturday, 26 November, 2016 | Comment icon 7 comments

HG Wells in 1890. Image Credit: Library of the London School of Economics and Political Science
The man behind 'The Time Machine' and other literary classics also wrote an unpublished ghost story.
Some of the 19th century author's best known works include 'The War of the Worlds', 'The Invisible Man', and 'The Island of Doctor Moreau', but beyond his most famous titles there also lies an unseen gem hidden within a large archive of his manuscripts at the University of Illinois.

Discovered by Andrew Gulli, editor of the Strand, the new story, which is entitled 'The Haunted Ceiling', is a macabre tale involving strange activities occurring at an old house.

"Initially, from the titles of the manuscripts, I thought I happened upon lots of unpublished works, but those thousands of pages were narrowed down to this delightful story," said Gulli.

The beginning of the story reads:

"Don't you see it?" he said.
"See what?"
"The - thing. The woman."
I shook my head and looked at him.
"All right then," he said abruptly. "Don't see it!"

The full story is due to be published this week in the Strand magazine.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (7)

Tags: HG Wells, Ghost Story

Comment icon #1 Posted by Rofflaren on 26 November, 2016, 12:46
Awesome... Will definately buy it when it gets published
Comment icon #2 Posted by brlesq1 on 27 November, 2016, 15:48
Sounds like a must-buy to me...
Comment icon #3 Posted by kobolds on 30 November, 2016, 16:40
maybe .. , I never read any horror/haunted/ghost stories (non science fiction) written by HG Wells. I didn't even know he wrote some until now.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Mark56 on 17 December, 2016, 4:35
Talk about a man ahead of his time. He wasn't a writer , he was a prophet.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Kismit on 17 December, 2016, 5:51
Love the use of narative in that first line. no good story should ever start at the begining.
Comment icon #6 Posted by hswells on 26 December, 2016, 2:25
I found H.G Wells every stories quite fascinating. I don't konw where his imagination come from, it seems he has almost same and identical imagination as me. that is why my english name is wellsand first nameinitial is HS.
Comment icon #7 Posted by highdesert50 on 28 February, 2017, 4:08
Well worth the short read. Wells characteristically involves the reader and then encourages the reader to come to a personal conclusion.

Voynich manuscript 'written in two languages'
4-24-2017
Russian scholars have been making headway in deciphering the pages of the mysterious medieval text.
Japan's 'burning pavement' mystery solved
4-23-2017
Authorities in Japan have determined how a stretch of city pavement has been burning people's feet.
Pigeon makes its nest inside woman's kitchen
4-23-2017
When Genevieve Roman returned to her apartment recently she discovered that she had a new roommate.
Fossilized dinosaur eggs unearthed in China
4-23-2017
Discovered near Foshan in the southeast of the country, the eggs date back over 70 million years.
Boiling water meets freezing air
Posted 4-24-2017 | 0 comments
A look at what happens when you throw boiling water out in to the freezing Russian winter air.

Cave-dwelling spiders
Posted 4-23-2017 | 3 comments
A new species of spider has been found living in caves and mine shafts in Mexico.

The human bridge of musicality
Posted 4-22-2017 | 1 comment
A look at how the human brain perceives the concept of music and how it is processed.

Grandpa's visit
4-14-2017 | Portugal

Mysterious dog
4-14-2017 | Utah

A night to remember
4-14-2017 | Philippines

Am I going crazy ?
3-30-2017 | South Africa

Sleep paralysis or my father ?
3-30-2017 | Los Angeles