Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Great dane is crowned world's tallest dog

Posted on Saturday, 31 December, 2016 | Comment icon 10 comments
Despite starting out as the runt of the litter, four-year-old Freddy has grown to be 40.75 inches tall.
The massive dog's owner, Claire Stoneman, is absolutely besotted with the gentle giant who manages to get through 1kg of beef, 250g of steak and 300 grams of liver on a daily basis.

The grocery bill for both Freddy and his sister Fleur every year is in excess of £10,000.

Now officially recognized by Guinness World Records as the tallest dog on the planet, Freddy is almost as tall as Zeus, another great dane who at 44 inches was the tallest dog that ever lived.

"I got him a couple of weeks earlier than I should have done because he wasn't feeding off mum, so he was pretty poorly," said Claire.

"He was half the size of Fleur when he was tiny so I had no idea he was going to be this big at all."

Source: Huffington Post | Comments (10)

Tags: Great Dane, Freddy

Comment icon #1 Posted by ChaosRose on 31 December, 2016, 20:13
That's a lotta bark for your buck.
Comment icon #2 Posted by SgtTechHead on 1 January, 2017, 5:17
  That's a lot of bucks for the bark! Holly cow! 10K pounds a year in food...
Comment icon #3 Posted by brlesq1 on 1 January, 2017, 10:29
I have a Great Dane. She's nowhere near as big as Freddy, but hey, she's still a Dane. They are some of the best dogs on the planet. Sure, they eat a lot, but what they give you in return is priceless. Not to mention scaring the h*** out of anyone who might be thinking of robbing your house...
Comment icon #4 Posted by Farmer77 on 1 January, 2017, 10:35
How are their puppy days? Ive always been an American Bulldog guy  but as my current male ages  I don't know if I can bring myself to go through two years of puppyhood again. Hes the best dog ive ever met but those two years are just hell.  Are danes the same way?
Comment icon #5 Posted by brlesq1 on 1 January, 2017, 10:52

Comment icon #6 Posted by brlesq1 on 1 January, 2017, 10:53
They're all different, of course. My first Dane wasn't so bad. She was pretty smart, so she caught on really fast that she was 1) supposed to go outside, and 2) to let me know. She wasn't a chewer, so my house remained intact. But I didn't want to go through puppyhood again, so I rescued a Dane. My current one, Daisy, I got when she was three, just out of puppyhood. So I didn't have to go through all that. If you're really into American Bulldogs, check on the web to see if they have a rescue organization. I'm sure they do.
Comment icon #7 Posted by seaturtlehorsesnake on 1 January, 2017, 19:48
i welcome our new king, and may his reign be long and glorious.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Farmer77 on 1 January, 2017, 23:04
Having young kids ive always gone the puerbred puppy route but now that theyre grown the rescue thing is a really good idea.
Comment icon #9 Posted by brlesq1 on 2 January, 2017, 11:45
And there are always so many that need forever homes. Most organizations aren't just "give 'im a dog," either. To get Daisy, I had to have a thorough phone interview. Then I had a home inspection (with another interview). Then they sent me a list of dogs, and I had to pick six. I did so, and five they eliminated because they felt the temperament wasn't right for me (based on my interviews and my initial application). Finally, with Daisy the only dog left on the list, I had to drive up to her foster mom's and have a third interview, and to see how Daisy would react to me. All went well, and I s... [More]
Comment icon #10 Posted by Black Monk on 3 January, 2017, 18:31
The world's most famous Great Dane is Peter Schmeichel.

Mystery object to be checked for ET signals
12-12-2017
An asteroid thought to have come from another solar system is to be checked for signs of alien technology.
Diver narrowly avoids huge great white shark
12-11-2017
New footage has emerged of a diver's extremely close encounter with the jaws of a monster shark.
Haunted orphanage knocked down in Canada
12-11-2017
The destruction of the centuries-old building has left questions concerning the fate of its ghostly inhabitants.
NASA teases new extrasolar planet discovery
12-11-2017
The space agency will be making an announcement on Thursday about its latest groundbreaking discovery.
Is happiness contagious ?
Posted 12-12-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to become happy by hanging out with other people who are happy ?

Megalodon - the largest shark in history
Posted 12-11-2017 | 0 comments
A look at Megalodon - a truly monstrous creature that once roamed Eath's oceans.

Pizza night - in space
Posted 12-8-2017 | 0 comments
ISS astronauts try their hand at putting together pizzas high up in orbit around the Earth.

Pelican invasion
Posted 12-7-2017 | 0 comments
This curious pelican decided to invade the director's tent during a BBC film shoot.

113 pancakes in 8 minutes
Posted 12-5-2017 | 0 comments
Record-breaking speed-eater Matt Stonie scoffs an incredible 113 silver dollar pancakes.

Mysterious Headlights
12-10-2017 | Morgan County, Alabama

Possibly a child ghost
12-10-2017 | Edgewater, Maryland

True story about black-eyed kids
12-10-2017 | Portland oregon

Alien or paranormal encounter ?
12-10-2017 | United States

Ouija board experience
12-10-2017 | Ohio

Strange occurrences
11-15-2017 | Fife

Mysterious music box song
11-15-2017 | U.S.A

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom