Sunday, March 26, 2017

Great dane is crowned world's tallest dog

Posted on Saturday, 31 December, 2016 | Comment icon 10 comments
Despite starting out as the runt of the litter, four-year-old Freddy has grown to be 40.75 inches tall.
The massive dog's owner, Claire Stoneman, is absolutely besotted with the gentle giant who manages to get through 1kg of beef, 250g of steak and 300 grams of liver on a daily basis.

The grocery bill for both Freddy and his sister Fleur every year is in excess of £10,000.

Now officially recognized by Guinness World Records as the tallest dog on the planet, Freddy is almost as tall as Zeus, another great dane who at 44 inches was the tallest dog that ever lived.

"I got him a couple of weeks earlier than I should have done because he wasn't feeding off mum, so he was pretty poorly," said Claire.

"He was half the size of Fleur when he was tiny so I had no idea he was going to be this big at all."

Source: Huffington Post | Comments (10)

Tags: Great Dane, Freddy

Comment icon #1 Posted by ChaosRose on 31 December, 2016, 20:13
That's a lotta bark for your buck.
Comment icon #2 Posted by SgtTechHead on 1 January, 2017, 5:17
  That's a lot of bucks for the bark! Holly cow! 10K pounds a year in food...
Comment icon #3 Posted by brlesq1 on 1 January, 2017, 10:29
I have a Great Dane. She's nowhere near as big as Freddy, but hey, she's still a Dane. They are some of the best dogs on the planet. Sure, they eat a lot, but what they give you in return is priceless. Not to mention scaring the h*** out of anyone who might be thinking of robbing your house...
Comment icon #4 Posted by Farmer77 on 1 January, 2017, 10:35
How are their puppy days? Ive always been an American Bulldog guy  but as my current male ages  I don't know if I can bring myself to go through two years of puppyhood again. Hes the best dog ive ever met but those two years are just hell.  Are danes the same way?
Comment icon #5 Posted by brlesq1 on 1 January, 2017, 10:52

Comment icon #6 Posted by brlesq1 on 1 January, 2017, 10:53
They're all different, of course. My first Dane wasn't so bad. She was pretty smart, so she caught on really fast that she was 1) supposed to go outside, and 2) to let me know. She wasn't a chewer, so my house remained intact. But I didn't want to go through puppyhood again, so I rescued a Dane. My current one, Daisy, I got when she was three, just out of puppyhood. So I didn't have to go through all that. If you're really into American Bulldogs, check on the web to see if they have a rescue organization. I'm sure they do.
Comment icon #7 Posted by seaturtlehorsesnake on 1 January, 2017, 19:48
i welcome our new king, and may his reign be long and glorious.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Farmer77 on 1 January, 2017, 23:04
Having young kids ive always gone the puerbred puppy route but now that theyre grown the rescue thing is a really good idea.
Comment icon #9 Posted by brlesq1 on 2 January, 2017, 11:45
And there are always so many that need forever homes. Most organizations aren't just "give 'im a dog," either. To get Daisy, I had to have a thorough phone interview. Then I had a home inspection (with another interview). Then they sent me a list of dogs, and I had to pick six. I did so, and five they eliminated because they felt the temperament wasn't right for me (based on my interviews and my initial application). Finally, with Daisy the only dog left on the list, I had to drive up to her foster mom's and have a third interview, and to see how Daisy would react to me. All went well, and I s... [More]
Comment icon #10 Posted by Black Monk on 3 January, 2017, 18:31
The world's most famous Great Dane is Peter Schmeichel.

1,200ft-wide UFO reported over Gulf of Mexico
3-26-2017
A crew member of an offshore supply ship claimed the object was 'five times the size' of his vessel.
Removing 'retired' cells could reverse ageing
3-26-2017
It may one day be possible for over-65s to visit a clinic every few years to receive a rejuvenation shot.
Four-legged chicken hatches out in Brazil
3-26-2017
Despite having two additional limbs, the young chick, which wasn't expected to live, is doing quite well.
Hair salon is offering snake neck massages
3-25-2017
The Haar Mode Team salon in Dresden is offering customers a rather unique type of massage service.
Featured book

By Guy Lyon Playfair
A look at the story of Peggy Hodgson and her four children who, between 1977 and 1979, were at the center of one of the most terrifying poltergeist cases ever documented.
Most watched animal on YouTube
Posted 3-26-2017 | 2 comments
Maru the cat has accumulated more views than any other animal on the video sharing site.

ALMA's 100-ton antennas
Posted 3-25-2017 | 0 comments
A special vehicle is used to carry ALMA's ultra-heavy antennas in to place in the desert.

How do we find lost satellites ?
Posted 3-24-2017 | 0 comments
A look at the methods scientists use to locate spacecraft with which contact has been lost.

Searching for Japanese bats
Posted 3-23-2017 | 0 comments
The Rimizu limestone caves in Japan are an ideal place to look for hibernating bats.

ISS astronauts answer questions
Posted 3-22-2017 | 0 comments
Shane Kimbrough and Peggy Whitson discuss life in space and what they've been up to.

My nightly occurrences