Thursday, October 19, 2017

Great dane is crowned world's tallest dog

Posted on Saturday, 31 December, 2016 | Comment icon 10 comments
Despite starting out as the runt of the litter, four-year-old Freddy has grown to be 40.75 inches tall.
The massive dog's owner, Claire Stoneman, is absolutely besotted with the gentle giant who manages to get through 1kg of beef, 250g of steak and 300 grams of liver on a daily basis.

The grocery bill for both Freddy and his sister Fleur every year is in excess of £10,000.

Now officially recognized by Guinness World Records as the tallest dog on the planet, Freddy is almost as tall as Zeus, another great dane who at 44 inches was the tallest dog that ever lived.

"I got him a couple of weeks earlier than I should have done because he wasn't feeding off mum, so he was pretty poorly," said Claire.

"He was half the size of Fleur when he was tiny so I had no idea he was going to be this big at all."

Source: Huffington Post | Comments (10)

Tags: Great Dane, Freddy

Comment icon #1 Posted by ChaosRose on 31 December, 2016, 20:13
That's a lotta bark for your buck.
Comment icon #2 Posted by SgtTechHead on 1 January, 2017, 5:17
  That's a lot of bucks for the bark! Holly cow! 10K pounds a year in food...
Comment icon #3 Posted by brlesq1 on 1 January, 2017, 10:29
I have a Great Dane. She's nowhere near as big as Freddy, but hey, she's still a Dane. They are some of the best dogs on the planet. Sure, they eat a lot, but what they give you in return is priceless. Not to mention scaring the h*** out of anyone who might be thinking of robbing your house...
Comment icon #4 Posted by Farmer77 on 1 January, 2017, 10:35
How are their puppy days? Ive always been an American Bulldog guy  but as my current male ages  I don't know if I can bring myself to go through two years of puppyhood again. Hes the best dog ive ever met but those two years are just hell.  Are danes the same way?
Comment icon #5 Posted by brlesq1 on 1 January, 2017, 10:52

Comment icon #6 Posted by brlesq1 on 1 January, 2017, 10:53
They're all different, of course. My first Dane wasn't so bad. She was pretty smart, so she caught on really fast that she was 1) supposed to go outside, and 2) to let me know. She wasn't a chewer, so my house remained intact. But I didn't want to go through puppyhood again, so I rescued a Dane. My current one, Daisy, I got when she was three, just out of puppyhood. So I didn't have to go through all that. If you're really into American Bulldogs, check on the web to see if they have a rescue organization. I'm sure they do.
Comment icon #7 Posted by seaturtlehorsesnake on 1 January, 2017, 19:48
i welcome our new king, and may his reign be long and glorious.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Farmer77 on 1 January, 2017, 23:04
Having young kids ive always gone the puerbred puppy route but now that theyre grown the rescue thing is a really good idea.
Comment icon #9 Posted by brlesq1 on 2 January, 2017, 11:45
And there are always so many that need forever homes. Most organizations aren't just "give 'im a dog," either. To get Daisy, I had to have a thorough phone interview. Then I had a home inspection (with another interview). Then they sent me a list of dogs, and I had to pick six. I did so, and five they eliminated because they felt the temperament wasn't right for me (based on my interviews and my initial application). Finally, with Daisy the only dog left on the list, I had to drive up to her foster mom's and have a third interview, and to see how Daisy would react to me. All went well, and I s... [More]
Comment icon #10 Posted by Black Monk on 3 January, 2017, 18:31
The world's most famous Great Dane is Peter Schmeichel.

When you die you are aware that you are dead
10-19-2017
A new study has suggested that the mind can still be active even after the body stops showing signs of life.
Google invents an AI that learns on its own
10-18-2017
The search giant has developed an artificial intelligence capable of learning without human intervention.
Saturn's rings are raining down methane
10-18-2017
NASA has revealed the discovery of methane and other chemicals in the gas giant's upper atmosphere.
48 million-year-old bird fossil unearthed
10-18-2017
A prehistoric species of bird that preened itself like a flamingo has been discovered in Germany.
Recreating your face from DNA
Posted 10-18-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to determine someone's appearance from a sample of their DNA ?

Schlieren imaging in color
Posted 10-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at Schlieren imaging - a technique that can help to visualize tiny differences in air.

Glowing creatures of the deep
Posted 10-15-2017 | 0 comments
This vintage clip sees Sir David Attenborough descending in to the dark depths of the sea.

Slow motion pellet split
Posted 10-14-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to split an air gun pellet with a knife to pop two balloons.

Dog with world's longest tongue
Posted 10-12-2017 | 2 comments
Meet Mochi Rickert - a female St Bernard with a tongue measuring 18.58 cm in length.

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia

Impossible phone call
10-18-2017 | West Virginia

Seeing cats
10-18-2017 | Santa Rosa

Fourth of July UFO show
10-18-2017 | Hillsboro ND

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland