Friday, October 20, 2017

'Alien' insect is unlike any ever seen before

Posted on Monday, 30 January, 2017 | Comment icon 13 comments

The new insect is certainly unique. Image Credit: YouTube / Oregon State University
The find is so unusual that it has had to be assigned to a whole new branch of the insect family tree.
The alien-looking insect, which is believed to date back over 100 million years, was discovered perfectly preserved within a piece of amber that had been unearthed by miners in Myanmar.

"This insect has a number of features that just don't match those of any other insect species that I know," said Professor George Poinar from Oregon State University.

"With its long neck, big eyes and strange oblong head, I thought it resembled E.T. I even made a Halloween mask that resembled the head of this insect. But when I wore the mask when trick-or-treaters came by, it scared the little kids so much I took it off."

There are 31 existing orders under which all known insect species are catalogued, but now because this new insect - Aethiocarenus burmanicus - doesn't appear to fit under any of them, an entirely new order ( Aethiocarenodea ) has had to be established in order to categorize it.

A more detailed look at the discovery and analysis of the new species can be viewed below.

Source: Christian Science Monitor | Comments (13)

Tags: Insect, Amber

Comment icon #4 Posted by White Unicorn on 30 January, 2017, 15:24
Awesome find it's so complete and a perfect specimen to view. Looks a bit different than modern ants so it can be considered new species. However, I always laugh when everything found uses alien in headline for click bait.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Dyna on 30 January, 2017, 18:06
Body and pinchers closer to an earwig then to and ant but the big eyes are like the praying mantis. Combo bug!
Comment icon #6 Posted by Crystal Rose on 30 January, 2017, 19:13
Yep it looks like a combination of ant and an ear wig.
Comment icon #7 Posted by fred_mc on 30 January, 2017, 20:44
It looks like an ant to me too.
Comment icon #8 Posted by taniwha on 31 January, 2017, 10:38
But not quick enough to escape the gum...† But didnt see the gum...† Now, if only that gland could repel the gum...† Really?...Ever seen an ant?† †My guess... Spoiler Stick insect† †
Comment icon #9 Posted by DieChecker on 31 January, 2017, 19:43
That was my first thought also.† Cool find. Lots of stuff found in amber in SE Asia.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Athena1979 on 1 February, 2017, 23:33
He should sell the mask...
Comment icon #11 Posted by newbloodmoon on 3 February, 2017, 6:35
Looks like an ant with an earwig pinchy butt to me. The eyes remind me of the bulbous compond eyes I have seen on a prehistoric fish or water crustacion (?). I am sure someone here might know what I'm talking about and give it a name. It's merely eluding me at the moment.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Carnoferox on 3 February, 2017, 14:33
I think you might be thinking of trilobites.
Comment icon #13 Posted by oldrover on 4 February, 2017, 15:04
Or perhaps an anomalicaris, or maybe an opabinia.† Why does the article only show the head half of the animal? What's down the other end they think we need sheltering from?

Huge 50km-long cave discovered on the Moon
10-19-2017
The Japanese space agency JAXA has announced the discovery of a cave hidden beneath the lunar surface.
When you die you are aware that you are dead
10-19-2017
A new study has suggested that the mind can still be active even after the body stops showing signs of life.
Google invents an AI that learns on its own
10-18-2017
The search giant has developed an artificial intelligence capable of learning without human intervention.
Saturn's rings are raining down methane
10-18-2017
NASA has revealed the discovery of methane and other chemicals in the gas giant's upper atmosphere.
Recreating your face from DNA
Posted 10-18-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to determine someone's appearance from a sample of their DNA ?

Schlieren imaging in color
Posted 10-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at Schlieren imaging - a technique that can help to visualize tiny differences in air.

Glowing creatures of the deep
Posted 10-15-2017 | 0 comments
This vintage clip sees Sir David Attenborough descending in to the dark depths of the sea.

Slow motion pellet split
Posted 10-14-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to split an air gun pellet with a knife to pop two balloons.

Dog with world's longest tongue
Posted 10-12-2017 | 2 comments
Meet Mochi Rickert - a female St Bernard with a tongue measuring 18.58 cm in length.

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia

Impossible phone call
10-18-2017 | West Virginia

Seeing cats
10-18-2017 | Santa Rosa

Fourth of July UFO show
10-18-2017 | Hillsboro ND

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland