Friday, July 28, 2017

CIA used psychics in Lockerbie investigation

Posted on Thursday, 2 February, 2017 | Comment icon 104 comments

Investigators used remote viewing to learn more about the bombing. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Declassified CIA files have detailed some of the unorthodox methods used to investigate the bombing.
The disaster, which occurred back in 1988, saw Pan Am Flight 103 brought down by a bomb that was hidden inside a radio cassette player, killing all 259 people on board and 11 on the ground.

A major investigation was launched to determine the cause of the explosion and to track down those responsible. According to recently released CIA documents however, some investigators resorted to using some rather unusual methods to get to the bottom of the mystery.

Of particular note was something called Project Sun Streak - a successor to Project Stargate ( a long-rumored US Army unit established in 1978 at Fort Meade, Maryland. )

Both projects aimed to use remote viewing and other psychic methods to gain information.

According to Herald Scotland, some of the documents describe "dealing with the use of psychoenergetics in the collection of intelligence information" during the investigation.

The notes also refer to "tangibles and intangibles of more than one word" and "probing sketches."

The transcript from one of these sessions reads:

"The stuff inside it is light, smooth, stringy, air, and it is moving down, making a 'whoosh' sound. It is speeding up as it goes down and out. It makes me want to throw up.

There is a bomb in the box and it explodes."

Source: Herald Scotland | Comments (104)

Tags: CIA, Declassified, Psychic

Comment icon #95 Posted by ChrLzs on 13 February, 2017, 7:04
And that is textbook cherry picking of quotes - did you not see the APPEAR TO BE words in that quote? And how is it that your open mind is not considering that the 'real effects' do not have to be psychic at all, and could simply be flaws in the experiments. Indeed, when you start to look at the ridiculous convoluted complexities and ludicrous subjectivfe judgement regimes involved in these parodies of 'science'... There is a reason these 'studies' don't get into credible science jourmals, but are fodder for those who must try to justify their funding and positions in lame organisations li... [More]
Comment icon #96 Posted by papageorge1 on 13 February, 2017, 17:37
Well, you are free to go through that effort but I am not sure how many will acceptthe conclusions you are aiming to produce except for those that just want to hear negative conclusions about psychic functioning because of a pre-standing dislike of the paranormal. As I said, at some point we have to determine reasonableness for ourselves or we can debate forever. Your point is that all these people involved in studies such as this are too incompetent (or biased or out-and-out cheaters)to fairly design, fairly perform and fairly analyze controlled experiments investigating anomalous cognition... [More]
Comment icon #97 Posted by stereologist on 13 February, 2017, 18:12
We've been through this again and again. Hyman pointed out numerous flaws in the experiments including the use of a single judge. The results of the reports from Utts and Hyman was the cancellation of the project a it was deemed worthless. Utts' report led to the closure of the project. How do you explain that? http://military.wikia.com/wiki/Stargate_Project The project was a failure. It did not work. The experiments were poorly done.
Comment icon #98 Posted by aquatus1 on 13 February, 2017, 19:15
That's really cool, but I didn't ask you why you believe what you believe. Again, we know that you are convinced they know more than science does, no one is the slightest bit unaware of your position, there is no need to keep repeating it. The question is about the nuts and bolts of it, the process, the guidance, the progress, not about whether you believe it or not. Then it really isn't a system of understanding, is it? It is a system of introspection. Advaita Vedanta is a rather well-known and I am fairly familiar with it from back when I was in my spiritual phase (I was more into Vajrak... [More]
Comment icon #99 Posted by papageorge1 on 13 February, 2017, 20:12
I think you are asking about what is called sadhana or spiritual practices?? Well, in a nutshell, there are four processes of Yoga; Bhakti (devotional), Karma (good works), Jnana (knowledge) and Raja (meditation). These are not really separate but more integrative to achieve the goal of Self-Realization. I am personally more inclined to Jnana Yoga living in the knowledge that I am Brahman living a finite experience learning to understand what I truly am (Brahman) which necessarilyinvolves a mindset of detachment from the material ups and downs. I don't see any conflict. Why can one notbe BOT... [More]
Comment icon #100 Posted by aquatus1 on 13 February, 2017, 20:21
No, I was asking about how they helped you understand the phenomena of RV. They don't. You do. Everything you have stated to date shows that you view your beliefs to be in competition with science. How many times have I had to remind you that we understand you think your beliefs are superior? You are the one that is treating them as opposite camps. The conflict is one of your own creation, because you are using them for things that they were not meant for. And yet, you continue claiming that one is superior than the other, instead of understanding what the other has to say. This is going ... [More]
Comment icon #101 Posted by papageorge1 on 13 February, 2017, 21:33
I have trouble following your train of thought. I don't claim to understand the phenomena of RV down to the nuts and bolts but I do believe there are theosophical masters that can point us in the right direction and earlier provided a link to 'intentional clairvoyance'. I don't think anyone can explain even regular cognition down to the nuts and bolts. How many times have I said that science studies the physical and theosophy/spirituality studies the above the physical. Now. explain how I am saying they are in competition when there is very little overlap? Now, I do believe spiritual studies a... [More]
Comment icon #102 Posted by psyche101 on 13 February, 2017, 23:25
Nobody has, otherwise it could be shared and everyone can move onto studying said aspect. But it has not, you have convinced yourself that you have an answer in mysticism. It is more than obvious from an external view that all you have done is self validate your belief with others who feel the same way. That means nothing has been achieved, a personal opinion has been formed nothing else. With all due respect to Dr Utt's, al I see here is a cop out. What ever increasing results? Ifwe had that, we would be able to move past square one. Again, with respect to Dr. Utt's it does not work. 20 ... [More]
Comment icon #103 Posted by ChrLzs on 15 February, 2017, 1:17
I'd like to flesh this Jessica Utts aspect out, as she has been rather vigorous defending RV, if not very specific and apparently unable to cite the documentation of studeis which she found convincing and used in her 'metastudy'. More about that later (and it gets much worse..). But as a starting point, here are some quotes and the conclusions from the 1995 report ( the one where Utts and Hyman were on the panel. My emphasis... From -An Evaluation of Remote Viewing:Research and Applications (1995) Michael D. Mumford, PhD Andrew M. Rose, PhD David A. Goslin, PhD (Panel members included Dr ... [More]
Comment icon #104 Posted by ChrLzs on 15 February, 2017, 6:00
Just a little (heheh!!) background before we get serious, and actually look in some detail at the nature of these daft experiments and the gullible/biased folkswho ran/judged them. I find it hard to comprehend how Jessica Utts (who really should and probably does know better) can have the impropriety to gather a group of such fatally flawed experiments together and say that they prove psychic powers. They absolutely do NOT, and frankly, no unbiased scientist would say otherwise. I'll be back later to show exactly why I say that. But a little history first to put what will follow into conte... [More]

California residents report 'Chupacabra'
7-27-2017
Alleged sightings of the cryptozoological creature have sparked concerns over the safety of local pets.
Our atoms came from far across the universe
7-27-2017
A new study has revealed that half of the atoms that make up our bodies have come from beyond the galaxy.
Private firm set to land on the Moon in 2019
7-27-2017
Astrobotic is aiming to land its unmanned Peregrine lunar lander on the surface of the Moon in two years' time.
3,500-year-old lunch box found in Swiss Alps
7-26-2017
An extraordinarily well-preserved lunch box has been discovered on Switzerland's Lotschberg mountain.
Octopus goes for a walk
Posted 7-27-2017 | 4 comments
As this video shows, not all octopus' limit their exploration to the bottom of the sea.

Augmented reality
Posted 7-26-2017 | 1 comment
A look at a new technology that superimposes computer-generated images over the real world.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI