Friday, July 28, 2017

Scientists develop flying 'Bat Bot' drone

Posted on Monday, 6 February, 2017 | Comment icon 7 comments

The robot looks and functions much like a bat. Image Credit: YouTube / Caltech
The novel design takes its inspiration from the way bats fly rather than relying on spinning rotors.
Weighing just three ounces, the prototype device ditches conventional rotors in favor of bat-like wings which enable it to glide, dive and perform various complex aerial manoeuvres.

Made from a super-thin membrane, these wings can flap up to ten times a second.

The team behind the robot's construction believe that its design makes it much safer and more appropriate for scouting disaster zones such as inside the Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan.

They are even hoping that it will eventually be able to perch upside-down like a real bat as well.

"Whenever I see bats make sharp turns and perform upside down, perching with such elegant wing movements and deformations, I get mesmerised," said Professor Soon-Jo Chung.

Whether drones like this one will become commonplace in the future however remains to be seen.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (7)

Tags: Bat Bot, Drone

Comment icon #1 Posted by Claire. on 2 February, 2017, 1:25
Comment icon #2 Posted by Still Waters on 2 February, 2017, 10:39
That's neat!
Comment icon #3 Posted by Marcin on 2 February, 2017, 11:09
This is so cool to watch, tech is getting better and better in these areas for sure, not too long till you get to have your own Bladerunner owl or some other robo-critter
Comment icon #4 Posted by Still Waters on 2 February, 2017, 11:13
I was thinking when I was watching the video, imagine having one of those bat-bots as a kid, a far cry from flying a kite that's for sure!
Comment icon #5 Posted by highdesert50 on 6 February, 2017, 23:11
Engineering based on natural design poses challenges yet reveals the elegance of evolution. Much to be said for listening to the land.
Comment icon #6 Posted by paperdyer on 8 February, 2017, 20:35
So some of the Bat-Gadgets might really work! I think batman had some sort of outfit in the 50's that he used to fly like a bat.
Comment icon #7 Posted by brlesq1 on 12 February, 2017, 6:29
That is so amazing... I think about when I was a kid, and we could never even imagine anything like that.

First extrasolar moon potentially discovered
7-28-2017
Astronomers believe that they may have found, for the first time, a moon orbiting an extrasolar planet.
Conjoined bat twins discovered in rainforest
7-28-2017
The extremely rare find is one of only a few examples of conjoined twins ever seen outside of humans.
California residents report 'Chupacabra'
7-27-2017
Alleged sightings of the cryptozoological creature have sparked concerns over the safety of local pets.
Our atoms came from far across the universe
7-27-2017
A new study has revealed that half of the atoms that make up our bodies have come from beyond the galaxy.
Hyperloop test
Posted 7-28-2017 | 1 comment
A look at the first successful test ride of the Hyperloop - a futuristic transportation system.

Octopus goes for a walk
Posted 7-27-2017 | 4 comments
As this video shows, not all octopus' limit their exploration to the bottom of the sea.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI