Friday, July 28, 2017

Amazing bipedal robot could deliver your mail

Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 | Comment icon 9 comments

Cassie can walk just about anywhere. Image Credit: YouTube / Oregon State University
Agility Robotics has developed an incredible new robot called Cassie that can walk just like a human.
The ability to stand upright and walk around is something that we take for granted in our daily lives, but for roboticists, recreating these functions in a robot has long proven to be a challenge.

The team at Oregon-based firm Agility Robotics however appears to have pulled it off.

A follow-up to their previous robot ATRIAS, Cassie adds a 3-degrees-of-freedom hip joint as well as powered ankles to help it move effortlessly across a variety of terrain types.

"Cassie is tough," said University of Michigan engineering professor Jessy Grizzle.

"It's designed for the rough and tumble life of an experimental robot. In principle, we should not have to use a safety gantry of any kind. This will allow us to take the robot into wild places."

It is hoped that the finished product will prove invaluable in a wide range of applications while the technology itself could also help to advance the field of prosthetic limbs for amputees.

A video showing Cassie in action can be viewed below.

Source: The Verge | Comments (9)

Tags: Cassie, Robot

Comment icon #1 Posted by Four Winds on 11 February, 2017, 13:58
That is vert cool but it kinda looks like a mini version of the crazy killing machine from Robocop
Comment icon #2 Posted by Still Waters on 11 February, 2017, 14:43
A bit creepy looking when it walks, a pair oflegs with no body. I think I would freak out opening the door to find that waiting on the other side!
Comment icon #3 Posted by Talion78 on 11 February, 2017, 14:49
Yep looks too much like Ed 209. If it says "You have 10 seconds to take your mail" i'm outta there.
Comment icon #4 Posted by UFOwatcher on 11 February, 2017, 18:06
Love the idea. I'm elderly and live in an apartment complex and all mailboxes are down the road. Remembering the old days when mail was delivered to your door would be so much nicer but I won't hold my breath. Nice idea though and agree with others that say it looks like an attack robot. LOL
Comment icon #5 Posted by highdesert50 on 11 February, 2017, 21:16
Appears to be an able deliverer of mailed bills and has the appearance of a formidable collector of payments due.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Marcin on 11 February, 2017, 23:18
First thought I had was exactly in line with Four Winds - it's a baby-baddie from old Robocop :D
Comment icon #7 Posted by brlesq1 on 12 February, 2017, 6:31
Hmm... I guess the vicious dog in the yard is just SOL, huh?
Comment icon #8 Posted by White Unicorn on 12 February, 2017, 16:48
Another human job to bite the dust. I wonder if this thing can maneuver through unshoveled snow when there's a big snow and you can't keep up with the shoveling. We have a lady mailman who delivers door to door. When she opens the dog gate to get to our box, our dogs bark to go out and greet her for a pat on the head. They would be terrified if they saw this robot! I think the protocol Amazon drone type would be less scary then this robot.
Comment icon #9 Posted by nohands on 17 February, 2017, 5:26
nice robot.... how did they do it..

First extrasolar moon potentially discovered
7-28-2017
Astronomers believe that they may have found, for the first time, a moon orbiting an extrasolar planet.
Conjoined bat twins discovered in rainforest
7-28-2017
The extremely rare find is one of only a few examples of conjoined twins ever seen outside of humans.
California residents report 'Chupacabra'
7-27-2017
Alleged sightings of the cryptozoological creature have sparked concerns over the safety of local pets.
Our atoms came from far across the universe
7-27-2017
A new study has revealed that half of the atoms that make up our bodies have come from beyond the galaxy.
Hyperloop test
Posted 7-28-2017 | 1 comment
A look at the first successful test ride of the Hyperloop - a futuristic transportation system.

Octopus goes for a walk
Posted 7-27-2017 | 4 comments
As this video shows, not all octopus' limit their exploration to the bottom of the sea.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI