Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Hunt for Planet Nine continues in earnest

Posted on Wednesday, 5 April, 2017 | Comment icon 7 comments

Could a whole planet lie undiscovered in the outer solar system ? Image Credit: NASA
Astronomers from around the world have been combining their efforts to seek out the new planet.
Believed to be up to ten times the mass of the Earth and with an orbital period of up to 20,000 years, this enigmatic world has been the subject of intense debate ever since researchers at the California Institute of Technology first revealed that its existence might actually be a very real possibility.

Last year, planetary scientists Mike Brown and Konstantin Batygin created a mathematical model indicating that a Neptune-sized object in the outer solar system could be influencing the movements of six smaller Kuiper Belt objects which appeared to be behaving rather oddly.

Since then, astronomers from around the world have been gazing skyward in an attempt to locate the new planet and now, thanks to observations made by the SkyMapper telescope in Australia, a total of four new unknown objects have been identified in the outer solar system.

"We've managed to rule out a planet about the size of Neptune being in about 90 percent of the southern sky out to a depth of about 350 times the distance the Earth is from the sun," said lead researcher Brad Tucker from the ANU Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics.

"With the help of tens of thousands of dedicated volunteers sifting through hundreds of thousands of images taken by SkyMapper, we have achieved four years of scientific analysis in under three days."

Efforts are now underway to study these new objects in more detail.

Source: Space.com | Comments (7)

Tags: Planet Nine

Comment icon #1 Posted by Merc14 on 5 April, 2017, 15:18
I think we will find it soon given all the tech and man-hours being thrown at the problem
Comment icon #2 Posted by seanjo on 5 April, 2017, 18:16
My understanding is it is so far away there will be no light reflection from its surface/atmosphere, so this is going to be very very hard to find. I suspect any resolution will involve an estimate of where it is....until we can get a probe out there.
Comment icon #3 Posted by glorybebe on 5 April, 2017, 18:20
This brings to mind a book I read a long time ago that stated there was another planet, but it was on the other side of the sun so we could not see it. Supposedly in the future it would become visible due to its rotation around the sun would catch up to Earth's. It always made me wonder if some astrologer could have had something there.
Comment icon #4 Posted by seanjo on 5 April, 2017, 18:29
I think you mean Astronomer...
Comment icon #5 Posted by glorybebe on 5 April, 2017, 18:37
No. I think Astrologer. It had to do with Astrology. I can't remember thebook name, but it was an Astrology book. I guess I could have mentioned it
Comment icon #6 Posted by paperdyer on 5 April, 2017, 19:41
So I guess Pluto's planetary status is still revoked. A few months ago it sounded pretty good for being returned.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Noxasa on 6 April, 2017, 1:10
All the doomsayers who have warned of world destruction for so long have essentially discredited this concept to that point that I can't really get behind it. I really doubt there's this planet out there. If they have suggested it exists by scientific means then they should know exactly where it is. A huge invisible planet just seems silly to me.

'Frankenstein dinosaur' is 'missing link'
8-16-2017
The mystery surrounding a dinosaur made up of various mismatched body parts has finally been solved.
Dog turns blue due to polluted Indian River
8-15-2017
Untreated industrial waste in Mumbai's Kasadi river has been turning dogs a rather peculiar color.
Rare white 'spirit moose' filmed in Sweden
8-15-2017
The incredibly rare moose was captured on camera by councilman Hans Nilsson in Sweden's Varmland county.
Man lost in the outback buries himself in sand
8-14-2017
Anthony Collis became totally lost in a remote part of Australia during a trip with his girlfriend.
Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

Will batteries power the world ?
Posted 8-14-2017 | 0 comments
Is there a limit to how small and light a rechargeable lithium-ion battery can be ?

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama