Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Young girl's pet goat saves family from fire

Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 | Comment icon 5 comments

It turns out that goats work well as smoke alarms. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Fir002
Young Abigail Bruce's new four-legged friend played a crucial role in saving her family's lives.
Abigail's father, Nick Bruce, admitted that when he found out that 'Speedy' the goat was to became the newest member of their household he was less than enthusiastic about the prospect.

This would soon be set to change however when, a mere two days later, Abigail awoke to find her new pet frantically jumping up and down on her legs and chest.

She knew immediately that something was wrong by the smell of smoke filling up the house. Without hesitation, she ran to her parents room to wake them up.

"She said it was smoky and she could hardly breathe," said Nick. "She said she thought it was hailing outside but when I got up to check, it was the fire."

Fortunately the family were able to escape to safety through the bedroom window.

Without Speedy, they may have never awoken in time.

"He knew what to do and everything," said Abigail. "I think he was special before we got him."

Source: Huffington Post | Comments (5)

Tags: Goat, Fire

Comment icon #1 Posted by DieChecker on 15 April, 2017, 12:44
Whoa... I have to admire the goat, but as someone who has goats on my property, I wouldn't let them in my house. They regularly try to get in, and if they do get in, they get scared, and when they get scared, they poop and pee all over the place. I did get a chuckle at the "Weiner Fire Department"....†
Comment icon #2 Posted by Still Waters on 15 April, 2017, 14:27
Well done Speedy.†
Comment icon #3 Posted by Grandpa Greenman on 17 April, 2017, 14:34
That is great, but maybe they should get some smoke alarms. They were really lucky the goat got in. and woke them up.†
Comment icon #4 Posted by third_eye on 17 April, 2017, 15:24
The goat moves in mysterious ways ~
Comment icon #5 Posted by paperdyer on 17 April, 2017, 16:42
Well the line "member of the household" indicates to me that Speedy is a house-goat.† It's interesting and fortunate†the goat bonded that quickly to the girl, but I agree, smoke alarms seem to be needed.

3,500-year-old lunch box found in Swiss Alps
7-26-2017
An extraordinarily well-preserved lunch box has been discovered on Switzerland's Lotschberg mountain.
1962 'thing in the woods' was CIA spy camera
7-26-2017
A mystery spanning over 55 years has finally been solved thanks to newly released CIA documents.
Giant black swan once roamed New Zealand
7-26-2017
Scientists have found evidence of a huge, hulking semi-flightless swan that went extinct 500 years ago.
Time is key to happiness, new study claims
7-25-2017
According to researchers, stressing out over a lack of time is a leading cause of anxiety and depression.
Augmented reality
Posted 7-26-2017 | 1 comment
A look at a new technology that superimposes computer-generated images over the real world.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI