Thursday, August 17, 2017

First ever living giant shipworms discovered

Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 | Comment icon 9 comments

Scientists extracted the worms from their shells. Image Credit: Marvin Altamia / YouTube
A team of researchers have located a live colony of huge prehistoric molluscs in the Philippines.
These large, disgusting-looking creatures were first rumored to exist in the 18th century, however up until now only a few empty shells and washed-up specimens had ever been found.

The most recent search for the giant shipworm began in 2010 after a local TV news report in the Philippines covered the story of a man who had eaten one of them for medicinal purposes.

It took two expeditions to the region for researchers to finally locate a colony of the creatures.

"It's hard not to be amazed when seeing one in the flesh, even if you know nothing about them," said Daniel Distel of the Ocean Genome Legacy Center at Northeastern University in Boston.

"There is no other animal like them."

Giant shipworms live inside hard shells and are one of only a few species known to eat wood.

A video showing researchers extracting the creatures for examination can be viewed below.

Source: New Scientist | Comments (9)

Tags: Giant Shipworm

Comment icon #1 Posted by Astra. on 18 April, 2017, 0:54
So glad I wasn't eating my breakfast, when I watched the video.
Comment icon #2 Posted by aquatus1 on 18 April, 2017, 1:10
Okay then, that's tonight's nightmare all lined up...
Comment icon #3 Posted by docyabut2 on 18 April, 2017, 1:23
Comment icon #4 Posted by Totah Dine on 18 April, 2017, 2:20
I want one! O. O
Comment icon #5 Posted by Astra. on 18 April, 2017, 2:20
Speaking of worms, I like the garden variety.They do a wonderful job by the recycling of organic waste. Your poor mum had a tape worm ? that's horrible....where on earth did she pull the worm from...do you mean she vomited it up ?
Comment icon #6 Posted by third_eye on 18 April, 2017, 2:23
I'm more curious as to why these shipworms have never been found or seen before now ... ~
Comment icon #7 Posted by paperdyer on 18 April, 2017, 18:06
So the scientists killed the worm so they could dissect it or was it found dead in the mud?
Comment icon #8 Posted by MJNYC on 18 April, 2017, 19:10
That's why I didn't watch the video. I couldn't watch someone killing another being, just because he can. When will we learn?
Comment icon #9 Posted by aquatus1 on 18 April, 2017, 20:40
Well, as the title and the article explain, these clams were located after a search by the team in an undisclosed lake. While their general existence was known of, no one had yet found living ones. This group extrapolated from the data they had the most likely place to find them, and they did.

Insect burgers to go on sale in Switzerland
8-16-2017
Insect-based edibles are beginning to appear in shops after a recent revision of food safety laws.
Firm set to put a cellphone tower on the Moon
8-16-2017
A German startup is aiming to land rovers on the Moon that will communicate using cellphone technology.
'Frankenstein dinosaur' is 'missing link'
8-16-2017
The mystery surrounding a dinosaur made up of various mismatched body parts has finally been solved.
Dog turns blue due to polluted Indian River
8-15-2017
Untreated industrial waste in Mumbai's Kasadi river has been turning dogs a rather peculiar color.
Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

Will batteries power the world ?
Posted 8-14-2017 | 0 comments
Is there a limit to how small and light a rechargeable lithium-ion battery can be ?

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama