Saturday, September 23, 2017

Winchester Mystery House movie starts filming

Posted on Saturday, 6 May, 2017 | Comment icon 8 comments

The Winchester Mystery House. Image Credit: Public Domain
Dame Helen Mirren will be starring in a new movie about Sarah Winchester's mysterious Victorian mansion.
One of San Jose's most popular tourist attractions, the enigmatic mansion has 161 rooms, 40 staircases ( some of which leading to nowhere ), 10,000 windows and 2,000 doors.

Constructed in 1884 and owned by Sarah Winchester - the widow of gun magnate William Wirt Winchester - the building is said to be haunted by the ghosts of those killed by Winchester rifles.

Its interior is as lavish as it is bizarre, with a peculiar room layout, doors leading to solid walls, windows on the walls of inside rooms, a large bell which is rung every Friday 13th and multiple 'decoy' rooms that Winchester used in an effort to fool the spirits she believed resided there.

Now a new movie, "Winchester", is set to bring the mysteries of the house to the big screen.

"She was a fascinating woman," said Mirren. "People say she was crazy. I don't think she was crazy at all, I think she was troubled, and I think she was like an artist."

"She wished to live on her own terms. The house is her work of art."

"You can really feel it when you're here - you can feel the spirit of the one who built it. It's been amazing and inspiring for me being here. It's as if you're falling down the rabbit hole."

The movie, which also stars Jason Clarke, is set to be released in cinemas next year.

Source: Mercury News | Comments (8)

Tags: Winchester Mystery House

Comment icon #1 Posted by strunk64 on 6 May, 2017, 22:20
Something like 62 windows and 12 doors in each room, averaged. It must be very confusing for the ghosts, and people. I'm going to have to look up pictures of the interior. I think I'll watch this movie.
Comment icon #2 Posted by docyabut2 on 7 May, 2017, 1:45
Comment icon #3 Posted by chissus on 9 May, 2017, 14:38
I've always been fascinated by this house. I will definitely see the movie!
Comment icon #4 Posted by Calibeliever on 9 May, 2017, 19:50
I went there as a kid (circa 1976?). It left an indelible impression on my young mind. Staircases leading nowhere, rooms without floors, it kinda messed with me. The story they told then was that Mrs. Winchester felt the only way to appease the ghosts of all the souls that had been killed by her husband's rifles was to never stop building on the house. Wild.
Comment icon #5 Posted by The Russian Hare on 9 May, 2017, 23:10
That house sucks, most of the original furnishings are gone and there's a huge tacky gift shop that you have to leave through, Disney-style. Only cool thing about it is the gun museum.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Calibeliever on 10 May, 2017, 17:20
That's a shame,when I was there (40 years ago) it wasn't like that. I can see why most of the original furnishings are gone though. They would be over 100 years old already.
Comment icon #7 Posted by ChaosRose on 11 May, 2017, 15:36
I've been there. It's pretty cool. A lot of 13s because she thought it was lucky.
Comment icon #8 Posted by strunk64 on 12 May, 2017, 0:47
13 is my lucky number too.

Saudi Arabian textbook shows Yoda at the UN
9-23-2017
A doctored image of Yoda at the United Nations has somehow ended up in a history textbook.
Juno captures stunning new images of Jupiter
9-23-2017
NASA's Juno probe has sent back four breathtaking new images of the gas giant's swirling atmosphere.
100 people could live on the Moon by 2040
9-22-2017
ESA's ambitious 'Moon village' plan could see humans living on the lunar surface within 25 years.
Man who prevented World War 3 dies aged 77
9-22-2017
Former Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov made a decision in 1983 that may have saved the world.
Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY