Sunday, November 19, 2017

London street swarmed by thousands of bees

Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2017 | Comment icon 10 comments

The insects were thought to have come from Greenwich Park. Image Credit: CC BY 3.0 Joseph Plotz
Pedestrians were left ducking for cover as the swarm descended on a crowded street earlier this week.
The harrowing incident, which occurred along Greenwich Church Street, saw a huge cloud of the buzzing insects swarming around cars, traffic lights and even passers-by.

Local jewelry shop owner Abigail Hering described the scene as "absolutely crazy".

"It was just literally swarming," she said. "Millions of them on the traffic lights. And while I was videoing them I looked down and I could see literally the front of me covered in bees."

"They were on me. They were on everybody. They were in your hair, on your top."

Fortunately though, beekeeper Phil Clarkson and his wife Tracey were able to collect most of the insects in a mobile hive and offered their reassurances that the bees were not a threat.

"A swarm is very benign, the likelihood of getting stung is very, very rare, and in most cases it's only when people swat them or squash them on their body that the bee will sting them," he said.

"They're very calm and very docile when they're swarming."

Source: CBS News | Comments (10)

Tags: London, Bees

Comment icon #1 Posted by WoIverine on 18 May, 2017, 18:26
Due to a severe lack of decent bee related puns:
Comment icon #2 Posted by seaturtlehorsesnake on 18 May, 2017, 18:37
did you get that gif from... buzzfeed?
Comment icon #3 Posted by WoIverine on 18 May, 2017, 18:41
lol, zing! (actually got it when I googled "Bee related puns")
Comment icon #4 Posted by docyabut2 on 19 May, 2017, 0:58
Comment icon #5 Posted by Frank Merton on 19 May, 2017, 1:02
I don't know how dangerous British bees might be -- it sounds not much since the residents seemed calm enough. There are some places where swarms are dangerous. In such a situation don't try to swat them away -- just get away.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Susanc241 on 19 May, 2017, 7:20
Only dangerous if you suffer from bee venom allergy. Most of us have been stung at least once in our lives (painful enough) but a few unlucky people do die from anaphylactic shock.
Comment icon #7 Posted by geraldnewfie on 19 May, 2017, 10:16
im waiting for the religious comments with the end of times when insects invade :P
Comment icon #8 Posted by Matt221 on 19 May, 2017, 10:45
So long as a queen bee is with them a swarm of bees isn't dangerous I once saw my dad pick a swarm up with his bare hands,it's summat to do with the smells and movement of the swarm ....... don't think I'll bother trying the theory out though.
Comment icon #9 Posted by paperdyer on 19 May, 2017, 16:02
If they're anything like the "yellow jack" variety we have in the South, they are vindictive SOBs. My dog and I accidently got close to a nest. They not only came out, they chased us back into the house. My dog and I got stung so much that she needed a shot from the vet. To show how vindictive they were, some flew up my pants leg and, you guessed it, went after the family jewels. That night my wife even found that one had nested in my hair. I took a lot of antihistimines but should have gone to the hospital myself as I had the shakes for hours afterwards.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Future ghost on 19 May, 2017, 16:39
They certainly are. Even more vindictive are the Bald Faced Hornets ( in the same family, I think). I was mowing in the back 10 acres when I drove past their nest. They started pouring out and chasing me. I freaked out since they're huge, kicked my tractor into high gear, and just barely made it inside. A big swarm of them lurked outside the door for about an hour, looking for a way in so they could finish me off. Never hadthathappen with Yellow Jackets. Sorry about your injuries, sounds really painful. Glad you're both ok.

Dalhousie Mountain carvings mystery endures
11-19-2017
A series of names carved in to the rocks of Dalhousie Mountain are thought to date back over 100 years.
Flat-Earthers gather for first ever conference
11-19-2017
Despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, some people still believe that the Earth is flat.
Humanoid robot is now able to do backflips
11-18-2017
Thanks to its latest upgrade, Boston Dynamics' Atlas robot is now capable of performing gymnastics.
Fireball lights up the night sky over Finland
11-18-2017
A time-lapse camera captured the moment an intense fireball streaked across the sky over Lapland.
Slow motion katana slice
Posted 11-18-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to slice through a row of water bottles using a katana sword.

What happened to the Library of Alexandria ?
Posted 11-17-2017 | 5 comments
What really happened to the vast wealth of knowledge stored in the ancient library ?

World's largest sticker ball
Posted 11-14-2017 | 1 comment
This enormous ball of stickers contains somewhere in the region of 200,000 stickers.

Caving claustrophobia
Posted 11-10-2017 | 12 comments
A montage of shots from caving in some of the most cramped conditions on Earth.

World's largest reptile zoo
Posted 11-4-2017 | 1 comment
Reptile Gardens in South Dakota has more species of reptile than any other zoo on the planet.

Strange occurrences
11-15-2017 | Fife

Mysterious music box song
11-15-2017 | U.S.A

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia