Sunday, September 24, 2017

Man is caught driving at 88mph in a DeLorean

Posted on Sunday, 4 June, 2017 | Comment icon 9 comments

If you are thinking of doing 88mph in a DeLorean... don't. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Ed g2s
Rather than travelling through time, the 'Back to the Future' fan ended up with a speeding ticket.
California resident Spencer White of Saugus finally decided to take the plunge and purchase the iconic 80s sports car after swithering over whether or not to buy one for more than ten years.

Sadly though, while driving his mother around on Friday night, the draw of the vehicle got the better of him and he ended up putting his foot down in an attempt to reach 88mph - the exact speed that would activate the car's time circuits in the Back to the Future movies.

All the stunt managed to do however was attract the attention of a nearby highway patrolman.

The fact that he had been busted for going 88mph in a DeLorean wasn't lost on the officer who seemed to find the situation quite amusing, however it wasn't enough to get him out of a ticket.

"Maybe if I had the flux capacitor he would have let me off," said White.

Source: Huffington Post | Comments (9)

Tags: Delorean, Back to the Future

Comment icon #1 Posted by UFOwatcher on 4 June, 2017, 15:21
Probably wanted to take his Mother into the future and leave her there.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Talion78 on 4 June, 2017, 21:30
Kinda relevant, but i love how in America 80+ mph is seen as crazy fast. You see the police chases on tv and they are like "this guys out of control he's driving at 80mph". And in the UK 80mph is the average motorway speed (officially 70mph) but youd have to catch a cop on a bad day to be pulled over at that speed.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Timonthy on 4 June, 2017, 22:11
From the article: '"I was at 88 for about two seconds, and, immediately I saw a police officer behind me," said White.' I call bull! He probably sat on 88mph until he was caught. And it annoyed me thatthe article wrote 'pedal to the medal', made me cringe. That's a bit out of context, on the UK cop showsthey do exactly the same thing with the commentary etc, because it's a TV show.People know it's not 'crazy fast' in a sense of purely the speed they are doing, it depends on which speed they're meant to be at instead of 80+, and also how they're moving relative to the trafficconditions an... [More]
Comment icon #4 Posted by Dark_Grey on 5 June, 2017, 16:55
Fun fact: the speedometer in the Delorean only goes up to 85MPH. The speedometer was changed in the movie car along with the engine which was upgraded to a motor from a Porsche 911. The original Delorean motor was hilariously under-powered. Not sure why they chose that car or that specific speed but BTTF is one of the greatest Sci-Fi movies ever made.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Codenwarra on 5 June, 2017, 20:20
They probably chose it because Deloreans were cheap, they had a reputation for poor quality and unreliability though they were probably not as bad as Ferrari road cars.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Dr.Brian on 5 June, 2017, 22:21
I guess it was true then, when it hit 88 MPH you saw some serious sh!t.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Krater on 6 June, 2017, 5:43
What? This is the same, or less, as US. UK single carriageway - 50mph, dual carriageway - 60, motorway - 70. US single lane highways - 55 to 60, two lane highway - 60 to 65, interstate - 70 to unlimited.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Aardvark-DK on 8 June, 2017, 5:45
Sorry but...in Denmark 88 mph is what I set my cruise control at, when driving on the Highway...official the limit is...81 mph...ish So...I can visit the past and future now ??
Comment icon #9 Posted by seanjo on 28 June, 2017, 18:47
DeLorian's can't do 88MPH!

Saudi Arabian textbook shows Yoda at the UN
9-23-2017
A doctored image of Yoda at the United Nations has somehow ended up in a history textbook.
Juno captures stunning new images of Jupiter
9-23-2017
NASA's Juno probe has sent back four breathtaking new images of the gas giant's swirling atmosphere.
100 people could live on the Moon by 2040
9-22-2017
ESA's ambitious 'Moon village' plan could see humans living on the lunar surface within 25 years.
Man who prevented World War 3 dies aged 77
9-22-2017
Former Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov made a decision in 1983 that may have saved the world.
Will robots take over all our jobs ?
Posted 9-23-2017 | 1 comment
As computers become increasingly sophisticated, will there be any jobs left for us ?

Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY