Thursday, July 27, 2017

Man is caught driving at 88mph in a DeLorean

Posted on Sunday, 4 June, 2017 | Comment icon 9 comments

If you are thinking of doing 88mph in a DeLorean... don't. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Ed g2s
Rather than travelling through time, the 'Back to the Future' fan ended up with a speeding ticket.
California resident Spencer White of Saugus finally decided to take the plunge and purchase the iconic 80s sports car after swithering over whether or not to buy one for more than ten years.

Sadly though, while driving his mother around on Friday night, the draw of the vehicle got the better of him and he ended up putting his foot down in an attempt to reach 88mph - the exact speed that would activate the car's time circuits in the Back to the Future movies.

All the stunt managed to do however was attract the attention of a nearby highway patrolman.

The fact that he had been busted for going 88mph in a DeLorean wasn't lost on the officer who seemed to find the situation quite amusing, however it wasn't enough to get him out of a ticket.

"Maybe if I had the flux capacitor he would have let me off," said White.

Source: Huffington Post | Comments (9)

Tags: Delorean, Back to the Future

Comment icon #1 Posted by UFOwatcher on 4 June, 2017, 15:21
Probably wanted to take his Mother into the future and leave her there.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Talion78 on 4 June, 2017, 21:30
Kinda relevant, but i love how in America 80+ mph is seen as crazy fast. You see the police chases on tv and they are like "this guys out of control he's driving at 80mph". And in the UK 80mph is the average motorway speed (officially 70mph) but youd have to catch a cop on a bad day to be pulled over at that speed.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Timonthy on 4 June, 2017, 22:11
From the article: '"I was at 88 for about two seconds, and, immediately I saw a police officer behind me," said White.' I call bull! He probably sat on 88mph until he was caught. And it annoyed me thatthe article wrote 'pedal to the medal', made me cringe. That's a bit out of context, on the UK cop showsthey do exactly the same thing with the commentary etc, because it's a TV show.People know it's not 'crazy fast' in a sense of purely the speed they are doing, it depends on which speed they're meant to be at instead of 80+, and also how they're moving relative to the trafficconditions an... [More]
Comment icon #4 Posted by Dark_Grey on 5 June, 2017, 16:55
Fun fact: the speedometer in the Delorean only goes up to 85MPH. The speedometer was changed in the movie car along with the engine which was upgraded to a motor from a Porsche 911. The original Delorean motor was hilariously under-powered. Not sure why they chose that car or that specific speed but BTTF is one of the greatest Sci-Fi movies ever made.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Codenwarra on 5 June, 2017, 20:20
They probably chose it because Deloreans were cheap, they had a reputation for poor quality and unreliability though they were probably not as bad as Ferrari road cars.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Dr.Brian on 5 June, 2017, 22:21
I guess it was true then, when it hit 88 MPH you saw some serious sh!t.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Krater on 6 June, 2017, 5:43
What? This is the same, or less, as US. UK single carriageway - 50mph, dual carriageway - 60, motorway - 70. US single lane highways - 55 to 60, two lane highway - 60 to 65, interstate - 70 to unlimited.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Aardvark-DK on 8 June, 2017, 5:45
Sorry but...in Denmark 88 mph is what I set my cruise control at, when driving on the Highway...official the limit is...81 mph...ish So...I can visit the past and future now ??
Comment icon #9 Posted by seanjo on 28 June, 2017, 18:47
DeLorian's can't do 88MPH!

3,500-year-old lunch box found in Swiss Alps
7-26-2017
An extraordinarily well-preserved lunch box has been discovered on Switzerland's Lotschberg mountain.
1962 'thing in the woods' was CIA spy camera
7-26-2017
A mystery spanning over 55 years has finally been solved thanks to newly released CIA documents.
Giant black swan once roamed New Zealand
7-26-2017
Scientists have found evidence of a huge, hulking semi-flightless swan that went extinct 500 years ago.
Time is key to happiness, new study claims
7-25-2017
According to researchers, stressing out over a lack of time is a leading cause of anxiety and depression.
Augmented reality
Posted 7-26-2017 | 1 comment
A look at a new technology that superimposes computer-generated images over the real world.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI