Thursday, July 27, 2017

13 cows inexplicably leap over cliff edge

Posted on Tuesday, 6 June, 2017 | Comment icon 57 comments

Why did the cows jump off the cliff ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Sondreaasan
Farmers in Switzerland were left perplexed after the animals escaped their pen and leapt to their deaths.
The peculiar incident, which happened on Wednesday night near the village of Levron, saw a total of 13 cows breaking out of their pen, running towards a cliff edge and then hurling themselves off it.

12 of the animals were killed by the 50-meter drop while one, which seemingly landed on top of the others which cushioned the fall, managed to survive and was later taken to an animal hospital.

"The cows broke through several lines around the pasture before finding themselves on the ridge," said local farming insurance company president Norbert Terrettaz.

"They fell into the void, as though they were forced into it."

One possible explanation is that the animals had been spooked by a predator or a dog.

"They must have been blocked somehow," said breeder Benoit Berguerand. "One or two cows falling off, that's possible. Thirteen, that's a new and incomprehensible phenomenon."

"It is unlikely that they threw themselves off without pressure."

Source: The Local | Comments (57)

Tags: Cows, Switzerland

Comment icon #48 Posted by docyabut2 on 10 June, 2017, 1:49
That happened all over the world herds of animals falling off the cliffs. Its what ever shocks them into running and they don't know where they are running to.
Comment icon #49 Posted by The Silver Thong on 10 June, 2017, 2:01
When I was a kid I chased cows. When they turned on me I was the dumb one running for my life slipping and sliding in cow poo. They must of had a good laugh at that one. Dumb human
Comment icon #50 Posted by Matt221 on 10 June, 2017, 16:04
When I was younger me and a friend usedately to shout at cows in particular field they used to charge like hell at us and stop within a few feet I never had the bottle to just stand there as my mate did
Comment icon #51 Posted by Matt221 on 10 June, 2017, 16:06
When I was younger me and a friend usedto shout at cows in particular field they used to charge like hell at us and stop within a few feet I never had the bottle to just stand there as my mate did guess who legged it and slipped over and landed in the s**t
Comment icon #52 Posted by Matt221 on 10 June, 2017, 16:09
Double post wtf sorry people
Comment icon #53 Posted by Sundew on 16 June, 2017, 22:57
Did they meat their Maker?
Comment icon #54 Posted by MissJatti on 18 June, 2017, 9:03
Fck living on the farm, we wanna be free. "This way to cow heaven, follow me cows"
Comment icon #55 Posted by BeastieRunner on 19 June, 2017, 18:11
Cowhalla.
Comment icon #56 Posted by KNash on 29 June, 2017, 4:27
Didn't the same thing happen on an episode of South Park?
Comment icon #57 Posted by Matt221 on 29 June, 2017, 17:06
Cows called Daisy Are often lazy. But cows called Brian They be flyin' Up in the air And out into space Because of the grass And the gasses it makes!

3,500-year-old lunch box found in Swiss Alps
7-26-2017
An extraordinarily well-preserved lunch box has been discovered on Switzerland's Lotschberg mountain.
1962 'thing in the woods' was CIA spy camera
7-26-2017
A mystery spanning over 55 years has finally been solved thanks to newly released CIA documents.
Giant black swan once roamed New Zealand
7-26-2017
Scientists have found evidence of a huge, hulking semi-flightless swan that went extinct 500 years ago.
Time is key to happiness, new study claims
7-25-2017
According to researchers, stressing out over a lack of time is a leading cause of anxiety and depression.
Augmented reality
Posted 7-26-2017 | 1 comment
A look at a new technology that superimposes computer-generated images over the real world.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI