Sunday, September 24, 2017

13 cows inexplicably leap over cliff edge

Posted on Tuesday, 6 June, 2017 | Comment icon 57 comments

Why did the cows jump off the cliff ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Sondreaasan
Farmers in Switzerland were left perplexed after the animals escaped their pen and leapt to their deaths.
The peculiar incident, which happened on Wednesday night near the village of Levron, saw a total of 13 cows breaking out of their pen, running towards a cliff edge and then hurling themselves off it.

12 of the animals were killed by the 50-meter drop while one, which seemingly landed on top of the others which cushioned the fall, managed to survive and was later taken to an animal hospital.

"The cows broke through several lines around the pasture before finding themselves on the ridge," said local farming insurance company president Norbert Terrettaz.

"They fell into the void, as though they were forced into it."

One possible explanation is that the animals had been spooked by a predator or a dog.

"They must have been blocked somehow," said breeder Benoit Berguerand. "One or two cows falling off, that's possible. Thirteen, that's a new and incomprehensible phenomenon."

"It is unlikely that they threw themselves off without pressure."

Source: The Local | Comments (57)

Tags: Cows, Switzerland

Comment icon #48 Posted by docyabut2 on 10 June, 2017, 1:49
That happened all over the world herds of animals falling off the cliffs. Its what ever shocks them into running and they don't know where they are running to.
Comment icon #49 Posted by The Silver Thong on 10 June, 2017, 2:01
When I was a kid I chased cows. When they turned on me I was the dumb one running for my life slipping and sliding in cow poo. They must of had a good laugh at that one. Dumb human
Comment icon #50 Posted by Matt221 on 10 June, 2017, 16:04
When I was younger me and a friend usedately to shout at cows in particular field they used to charge like hell at us and stop within a few feet I never had the bottle to just stand there as my mate did
Comment icon #51 Posted by Matt221 on 10 June, 2017, 16:06
When I was younger me and a friend usedto shout at cows in particular field they used to charge like hell at us and stop within a few feet I never had the bottle to just stand there as my mate did guess who legged it and slipped over and landed in the s**t
Comment icon #52 Posted by Matt221 on 10 June, 2017, 16:09
Double post wtf sorry people
Comment icon #53 Posted by Sundew on 16 June, 2017, 22:57
Did they meat their Maker?
Comment icon #54 Posted by MissJatti on 18 June, 2017, 9:03
Fck living on the farm, we wanna be free. "This way to cow heaven, follow me cows"
Comment icon #55 Posted by BeastieRunner on 19 June, 2017, 18:11
Cowhalla.
Comment icon #56 Posted by KNash on 29 June, 2017, 4:27
Didn't the same thing happen on an episode of South Park?
Comment icon #57 Posted by Matt221 on 29 June, 2017, 17:06
Cows called Daisy Are often lazy. But cows called Brian They be flyin' Up in the air And out into space Because of the grass And the gasses it makes!

Saudi Arabian textbook shows Yoda at the UN
9-23-2017
A doctored image of Yoda at the United Nations has somehow ended up in a history textbook.
Juno captures stunning new images of Jupiter
9-23-2017
NASA's Juno probe has sent back four breathtaking new images of the gas giant's swirling atmosphere.
100 people could live on the Moon by 2040
9-22-2017
ESA's ambitious 'Moon village' plan could see humans living on the lunar surface within 25 years.
Man who prevented World War 3 dies aged 77
9-22-2017
Former Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov made a decision in 1983 that may have saved the world.
Will robots take over all our jobs ?
Posted 9-23-2017 | 1 comment
As computers become increasingly sophisticated, will there be any jobs left for us ?

Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY