Friday, July 28, 2017

NASA doesn't have the funds to land on Mars

Posted on Friday, 14 July, 2017 | Comment icon 24 comments

Who is going to be first to land humans on Mars ? Image Credit: NASA/Pat Rawlings
The space agency has admitted that it cannot currently afford to land humans on the surface of Mars.
Despite making a great deal of progress with its Orion spacecraft and Space Launch System, NASA has revealed that its plans to send humans to Mars by the early 2030s may already be in jeopardy.

The problem is that there is insufficient funding available to develop the vehicles that will be needed to land astronauts on the planet's surface and to then bring them safely back home again.

While it may eventually be possible to see NASA astronauts going in to orbit around Mars, actually landing on the surface is never going to happen unless this particular hurdle can be overcome.

"I can't put a date on humans on Mars, and the reason really is... at the budget levels we described, this roughly two percent increase, we don't have the surface systems available for Mars," said the space agency's chief of human spaceflight William Gerstenmaier.

"And that entry, descent, and landing is a huge challenge for us for Mars."

The news suggests that private space firms such as SpaceX and Blue Origin might actually be in with a chance of placing a human on Mars before NASA does.

Elon Musk's timetable in particular currently aims to achieve this by as early as 2025.

Source: Independent | Comments (24)

Tags: NASA, Mars

Comment icon #15 Posted by danielost on 15 July, 2017, 19:16
you forget obama cut funding to orion and nasa had to cut other programs to keep orion.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Noteverythingisaconspiracy on 15 July, 2017, 19:34
The past is notreally the point of this thread. Secondly the House and Senate was republican during much of Obamas time in office and as I just said they decide NASA's budget.Even if he wanted to Obama couldn't have done much without money from congress could he ? I'm not really trying to be partisan here, as non-americans I have no part in that fight, I am just stating the facts as they are.You are familiar with how politics work in your own country..................aren't you ?
Comment icon #17 Posted by taniwha on 16 July, 2017, 9:39
What an absurd belief to have. You know this how?
Comment icon #18 Posted by Captain Risky on 16 July, 2017, 10:57
I think differently. Colonising Mars and keeping people there full time makes sense if its used for mining and a spaceport for further exploration. If there is money involved then the cost of maintaining an artificial environment and convincing people to live in such becomes feasible. I wouldn't wanna live there but I'm sure others would.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 17 July, 2017, 21:10
Firstly that is by no means certain. The evidence is somewhat contradictory as to whether life could naturally survive on Mars. Secondly there is a huge difference between a planet being unable to support life naturally and being able to support life with the aid of technology. Mars has the three main essentials to support plant life, sunlight, water and carbon dioxide, Pressurised green houses can be built, soil chemistry can be changed. If plants can be grown on Mars then human habitation is possible. Whilst it is possible that Mars IS a dead world, it is not logical to think that it must re... [More]
Comment icon #20 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 17 July, 2017, 22:08
Wow, accusing other people of absurd beliefs, that's the kettle calling the pot black. Have you ever actually read the crap you post? If my beliefs are absurd then I am in good company. Here are some quotes from people that you may think are absurd, but all are experts and some are considered geniuses: Learning and thinking.
Comment icon #21 Posted by The Silver Thong on 19 July, 2017, 2:05
Comment icon #22 Posted by Noteverythingisaconspiracy on 19 July, 2017, 10:33
Link doesn't work. Edit: Strangely it does work when I quote it.
Comment icon #23 Posted by danielost on 20 July, 2017, 10:52
the past is important if your going to blame a president blame the correct one. not his first term when he cut the funding. he had house and senate. which is why obamacare passed.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Noteverythingisaconspiracy on 20 July, 2017, 11:26
If you go back you will find that I wasn't blaming the president, I was merely commenting of UFOwatcher who seemed to believe that NASA is responsible for deciding what to do with their funding. They aren't. Is there anything factually wrong in what I wrote here ?

California residents report 'Chupacabra'
7-27-2017
Alleged sightings of the cryptozoological creature have sparked concerns over the safety of local pets.
Our atoms came from far across the universe
7-27-2017
A new study has revealed that half of the atoms that make up our bodies have come from beyond the galaxy.
Private firm set to land on the Moon in 2019
7-27-2017
Astrobotic is aiming to land its unmanned Peregrine lunar lander on the surface of the Moon in two years' time.
3,500-year-old lunch box found in Swiss Alps
7-26-2017
An extraordinarily well-preserved lunch box has been discovered on Switzerland's Lotschberg mountain.
Octopus goes for a walk
Posted 7-27-2017 | 4 comments
As this video shows, not all octopus' limit their exploration to the bottom of the sea.

Augmented reality
Posted 7-26-2017 | 1 comment
A look at a new technology that superimposes computer-generated images over the real world.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI