Saturday, September 23, 2017

Woman taking selfie wrecks $200,000 exhibit

Posted on Saturday, 15 July, 2017 | Comment icon 30 comments

This woman's trip to the museum did not go well. Image Credit: YouTube / Party Pooper
The heart-stopping moment saw an entire row of extremely expensive art pieces collapse like dominoes.
The unnamed art enthusiast had been at Simon Birch's art installation 'The 14th Factory' in Los Angeles, when, while attempting to snap a photograph of herself on her mobile phone, she lost her balance and stumbled backwards, knocking over one of the pieces.

It's difficult to imagine how she must have felt as she watched the entire row of priceless items collapse one after the other like dominoes.

According to a spokeswoman for the exhibit, the accident, which happened around two weeks ago, caused around $200,000 worth of damage.

It isn't clear whether or not the insurance will cover the cost.

Source: CNET.com | Comments (30)

Tags: Museum, Exhibit

Comment icon #21 Posted by Astra. on 16 July, 2017, 13:33
I understand what you're saying. And Idon't have a lot of time for idiots in general.However, I just don't understandwhatthis has to do with a young personwho accidentally knocked over a wobbly, and anunstable art display which was apparent in the video. Anyway, nomatter....as I'm over it now.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Grandpa Greenman on 16 July, 2017, 13:37
I agree with those who said it was a poorly setup exhibit. Thosepieces should have been anchoreddown. You have to idiot proof public exhibitions, people are very careless and don't give much thought to what they are doing. This looked like a kid. The price of the art was the insurance value of the pieces, I am sure and the insurance company will want to recoup their loss, so they double the value. The price of artis dictated by the market. If you make something really nice, rich people are happy to pay big prices to decorate their fancy house and that is ok with me.
Comment icon #23 Posted by mesuma on 16 July, 2017, 22:01
No. There are loads of people who tolerate others whilst they massage their ego with their own. You don't set up a FB page to post other peoples pictures.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Timonthy on 16 July, 2017, 23:33
You realisethat FB is only one of many social media platforms? Itis globally the most popular, and there would definitely be millions of 'friends' for the purpose of checking out each others selfies. But more so, ever heard of Instagram? Many millions of peopleset up accounts for the sole purpose of following others and seeing their selfies etc. In Asia especially this is huge, part of a AU$10 billion industry in China alone andgetting bigger much bigger. I don't know how old you are, and maybeit doesn't happen a lotin Scotland, but it's definitely a hugething, there's no debating that... [More]
Comment icon #25 Posted by Haroldbattschits on 17 July, 2017, 21:26
Vain and narcissistic millennials are getting what they deserve. On a recent trip to Japan with a large group of people, most of us were taking pics of the scenery etc whilst the younger pretty people only took selfies during the entire trip. If getting "likes" on your posts is your top priority, then you are nothing but a shallow oxygen sucker taking up space.
Comment icon #26 Posted by third_eye on 17 July, 2017, 21:34
I think I'm gonna be planning myself a little selfie accident with the Mona Lisa ... ~
Comment icon #27 Posted by Merc14 on 18 July, 2017, 1:29
Is anyone else thinking this may be a hoax? Who sets up and exhibit like this with unsecured stands so close together people can barely get between them I have never seen anything like it
Comment icon #28 Posted by Farmer77 on 18 July, 2017, 5:14
Funny you said that. As i was telling my wife about the story earlier that exact thought popped into my head , hoax or insurance fraud
Comment icon #29 Posted by WoIverine on 20 July, 2017, 18:25
Bound to happen one way or another the way those are organized in that room. Good that they all didn't go down.
Comment icon #30 Posted by mesuma on 30 July, 2017, 21:24
No. I didn't realize that. Here in Scotland we still use a man on a horse, riding through the night to deliver information. Why he only just arrived with the parchment informing me of your slightly patronizing reply. Do you think we still live in mud huts? Wait that would explain how I somehow thought there was only one social media platform Debate it or not. It is a big thing, yes, a big annoying, horrible trend that has cost many a self absorbed person their lives. Why the feck are they at an art exhibition and yet more interested in themselves. Shouldn't they be looking at hmmmmm the art?... [More]

Juno captures stunning new images of Jupiter
9-23-2017
NASA's Juno probe has sent back four breathtaking new images of the gas giant's swirling atmosphere.
100 people could live on the Moon by 2040
9-22-2017
ESA's ambitious 'Moon village' plan could see humans living on the lunar surface within 25 years.
Man who prevented World War 3 dies aged 77
9-22-2017
Former Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov made a decision in 1983 that may have saved the world.
Doomsayers claim the world will end tomorrow
9-22-2017
Rumors of another apocalyptic collision with the mythical planet Nibiru have been circulating the Internet.
Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY