Friday, July 28, 2017

Woman taking selfie wrecks $200,000 exhibit

Posted on Saturday, 15 July, 2017 | Comment icon 29 comments

This woman's trip to the museum did not go well. Image Credit: YouTube / Party Pooper
The heart-stopping moment saw an entire row of extremely expensive art pieces collapse like dominoes.
The unnamed art enthusiast had been at Simon Birch's art installation 'The 14th Factory' in Los Angeles, when, while attempting to snap a photograph of herself on her mobile phone, she lost her balance and stumbled backwards, knocking over one of the pieces.

It's difficult to imagine how she must have felt as she watched the entire row of priceless items collapse one after the other like dominoes.

According to a spokeswoman for the exhibit, the accident, which happened around two weeks ago, caused around $200,000 worth of damage.

It isn't clear whether or not the insurance will cover the cost.

Source: CNET.com | Comments (29)

Tags: Museum, Exhibit

Comment icon #20 Posted by fred_mc on 16 July, 2017, 8:13
Well, at least she didn't do it on purpose. In 2004, the Israeli ambassador in Sweden intentionally with his own hands destroyed a piece of art at an art exhibition:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3406041.stm
Comment icon #21 Posted by Astra. on 16 July, 2017, 13:33
I understand what you're saying. And Idon't have a lot of time for idiots in general.However, I just don't understandwhatthis has to do with a young personwho accidentally knocked over a wobbly, and anunstable art display which was apparent in the video. Anyway, nomatter....as I'm over it now.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Grandpa Greenman on 16 July, 2017, 13:37
I agree with those who said it was a poorly setup exhibit. Thosepieces should have been anchoreddown. You have to idiot proof public exhibitions, people are very careless and don't give much thought to what they are doing. This looked like a kid. The price of the art was the insurance value of the pieces, I am sure and the insurance company will want to recoup their loss, so they double the value. The price of artis dictated by the market. If you make something really nice, rich people are happy to pay big prices to decorate their fancy house and that is ok with me.
Comment icon #23 Posted by mesuma on 16 July, 2017, 22:01
No. There are loads of people who tolerate others whilst they massage their ego with their own. You don't set up a FB page to post other peoples pictures.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Timonthy on 16 July, 2017, 23:33
You realisethat FB is only one of many social media platforms? Itis globally the most popular, and there would definitely be millions of 'friends' for the purpose of checking out each others selfies. But more so, ever heard of Instagram? Many millions of peopleset up accounts for the sole purpose of following others and seeing their selfies etc. In Asia especially this is huge, part of a AU$10 billion industry in China alone andgetting bigger much bigger. I don't know how old you are, and maybeit doesn't happen a lotin Scotland, but it's definitely a hugething, there's no debating that... [More]
Comment icon #25 Posted by Haroldbattschits on 17 July, 2017, 21:26
Vain and narcissistic millennials are getting what they deserve. On a recent trip to Japan with a large group of people, most of us were taking pics of the scenery etc whilst the younger pretty people only took selfies during the entire trip. If getting "likes" on your posts is your top priority, then you are nothing but a shallow oxygen sucker taking up space.
Comment icon #26 Posted by third_eye on 17 July, 2017, 21:34
I think I'm gonna be planning myself a little selfie accident with the Mona Lisa ... ~
Comment icon #27 Posted by Merc14 on 18 July, 2017, 1:29
Is anyone else thinking this may be a hoax? Who sets up and exhibit like this with unsecured stands so close together people can barely get between them I have never seen anything like it
Comment icon #28 Posted by Farmer77 on 18 July, 2017, 5:14
Funny you said that. As i was telling my wife about the story earlier that exact thought popped into my head , hoax or insurance fraud
Comment icon #29 Posted by WoIverine on 20 July, 2017, 18:25
Bound to happen one way or another the way those are organized in that room. Good that they all didn't go down.

California residents report 'Chupacabra'
7-27-2017
Alleged sightings of the cryptozoological creature have sparked concerns over the safety of local pets.
Our atoms came from far across the universe
7-27-2017
A new study has revealed that half of the atoms that make up our bodies have come from beyond the galaxy.
Private firm set to land on the Moon in 2019
7-27-2017
Astrobotic is aiming to land its unmanned Peregrine lunar lander on the surface of the Moon in two years' time.
3,500-year-old lunch box found in Swiss Alps
7-26-2017
An extraordinarily well-preserved lunch box has been discovered on Switzerland's Lotschberg mountain.
Octopus goes for a walk
Posted 7-27-2017 | 4 comments
As this video shows, not all octopus' limit their exploration to the bottom of the sea.

Augmented reality
Posted 7-26-2017 | 1 comment
A look at a new technology that superimposes computer-generated images over the real world.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI