Thursday, August 17, 2017

California residents report 'Chupacabra'

Posted on Thursday, 27 July, 2017 | Comment icon 12 comments

What animal have Riverside residents been seeing ? Image Credit: sxc.hu
Alleged sightings of the cryptozoological creature have sparked concerns over the safety of local pets.
Cary Shuker, a resident of Riverside, Southern California, had been outside near his home when he encountered a strange creature that he described as "two feet longer than the largest coyote you've ever seen" with a tail similar to that of a rat.

After being shooed away, the mystery denizen reportedly turned around and snarled.

"It was cussing me out, basically," said Shuker. "I stole its breakfast. It was hunting my cat."

So far three people in the same area have reported sightings of the creature, however cryptozoologist Loren Coleman, who has been investigating reports of mysterious creatures for years, believes that it is far more likely to have been a coyote with mange than the legendary Chupacabra.

"DNA results prove these are 100 percent canid, usually with mange," he said. "People label dog-like cryptic beasts 'Chupacabras' because they love mysteries, and it's the hip thing to do."

A local news report featuring an interview with Shuker about his sighting can be viewed below.

Source: Huffington Post | Comments (12)

Tags: Chupacabra

Comment icon #3 Posted by Farmer77 on 25 July, 2017, 23:46
No opossums in the area but raccoons and coyotes abound as well as coatimundi which if infected with mange would fit the deion as well.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Goodf3llow on 26 July, 2017, 0:12
Those critters are everywhere, Riverside county definitely has opossums. Could be Coyote though too..
Comment icon #5 Posted by Farmer77 on 26 July, 2017, 1:02
You're right, I stand corrected. I live near there and have never heard of one in my area so assumed they didnt either.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Chaldon on 29 July, 2017, 12:02
I completely don't understand that canine-form chupacabra stuff, it's doesn't impress a bit. I always thought chupacabra should be bipedal, with those spikes along the back, as was initially described by the Mexicans. That would be cool and interesting. But some fat mangy coyotes are just boring. I still hope it's all the case of misidentification, and the real humanoid chupacabras from the jungle are out there.
Comment icon #7 Posted by oldrover on 29 July, 2017, 12:28
Here's the original chupacabra, or goatsucker. It was the nightjar, not a spikey biped, that only turned up in the 90's. Here's the true story http://www.jasoncolavito.com/prehistory-of-chupacabra.html
Comment icon #8 Posted by Chaldon on 29 July, 2017, 16:36
Well, it's a well-known old wives' tale here in Russia. Nightjar is called "???????" in Russian, which literally means "goat milker", and was blamed on depriving cows of their milk since the time immemorial. But frankly I hardly can bind together the cases of cows lacking milk and animals killed with little blood left in them. Even if the latter was done by the mangy coyotes I just can't understand how. And by the way, there were some similar cases reported in Ukraine and Western Russia (don't know about Siberia). I don't know, may be it's all just a mass-hysteria, because reportedly there wer... [More]
Comment icon #9 Posted by Jettmom on 29 July, 2017, 17:25
Chupacabra.....
Comment icon #10 Posted by oldrover on 29 July, 2017, 18:03
Very interesting to learn that this tale is also found in Russia.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Dyna on 1 August, 2017, 15:42
look up Mexican hairless dogs there is one just like they describe. Clearly running wild and they are crossing the border.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Matt221 on 1 August, 2017, 17:22
Shorter legs at the front bet he can run uphill fast ......

Man finds snake on a supermarket pineapple
8-17-2017
A man in Edinburgh got the fright of his life on Tuesday when he found the reptile in his shopping.
Insect burgers to go on sale in Switzerland
8-16-2017
Insect-based edibles are beginning to appear in shops after a recent revision of food safety laws.
Firm set to put a cellphone tower on the Moon
8-16-2017
A German startup is aiming to land rovers on the Moon that will communicate using cellphone technology.
'Frankenstein dinosaur' is 'missing link'
8-16-2017
The mystery surrounding a dinosaur made up of various mismatched body parts has finally been solved.
Concrete blocks chest smash
Posted 8-17-2017 | 0 comments
Multiple world record holder Ali Bahcetepe has 16 concrete blocks smashed on his chest.

Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

Will batteries power the world ?
Posted 8-14-2017 | 0 comments
Is there a limit to how small and light a rechargeable lithium-ion battery can be ?

Hoia-Baciu - the world's most haunted forest
Posted 8-13-2017 | 0 comments
A look at an area of forest that some people describe as Romania's own 'Bermuda Triangle'.

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama