Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

talking to myself

  • entries
    2,871
  • comments
    1,492
  • views
    667,617

Our struggle with humility

markdohle

558 views

image.png.bc84fe78a70b9f9f9d32196c23050f82.png

Our struggle with humility

Our Lord sends the crosses; we do not have to invent them. ---Padre Pio

Humility is not a popular word. For many when thinking of humility they think of weakness, or people who falsely depreciate their selves, when in fact it is far away from being true humility since lack of self-esteem is not humility at all. To be able to accept the truths we learn about ourselves, be it something beautiful or its opposite is not always easy. Yet we are called to do that.

Humility can spare us from a great deal of suffering that comes from defensiveness. When not living from a place of truth, we invite a great deal of suffering into our lives that only distracts us from walking the road that Christ Jesus is calling us to.

Without humility, we have to blame others for our sufferings, which only causes more suffering. For people will react and rightly so, to unjust or malicious treatment, throwing it back on the accuser. It takes a lot of energy to run from oneself. Grace and our love of God allow us to not be afraid of truth no matter where it comes from. We learn to embrace life and not run from it.

If anyone wants to carry lots of manufactured crosses, all you have to do is to disdain humility. .--Br.MD



26 Comments


Recommended Comments



A little humility is positive because it makes people feel safe around you and if you care about people, then you want them to feel good when they are with you. 

It's all about balance. I like to be confident and a little humble at the same. 

Humility is about keeping your feet on the ground. :yes:

But all this must come naturally for you, otherwise it isn't genuine.

Live and let live.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Here's my humility. 

I had to look it up to make sure I had the correct definition. I was in the ballpark.

dd1153f31cd2a3dd84343610d939ab6e.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
LightAngel said:
 A little humility is positive because it makes people feel safe around you and if you care about people, then you want them to feel good when they are with you. 

It's all about balance. I like to be confident and a little humble at the same. 

Humility is about keeping your feet on the ground. :yes:

But all this must come naturally for you, otherwise it isn't genuine.

Live and let live. 

LOL, well said.  I think humility is learned when reality sets in, that no one is the center of the universe, and we all kind of flounder, fall, and yes get back up.

 

peace
mark

  • Like 3

Share this comment


Link to comment
markdohle

Posted (edited)

HellowDarvosKitty said:

 Here's my humility. 

I had to look it up to make sure I had the correct definition. I was in the ballpark. 

I agree, science, what it teaches, is a way to the truth.  I think you are somewhat humble, perhaps more than me, does not say much LOL. 



Peace
Mark

Edited by markdohle

Share this comment


Link to comment
13 hours ago, markdohle said:

HellowDarvosKitty said:

 Here's my humility. 

I had to look it up to make sure I had the correct definition. I was in the ballpark. 

I think you are somewhat humble, perhaps more than me, does not say much LOL. 

Is this what you mean by "Darvo"?

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/DARVO

Or is it a Buddhist thing for people that think they are always right?

You got this "Darvo" thing from @Sherapy I know that.

5b446f207e4ac-bpfull.jpg

Share this comment


Link to comment
 Is this what you mean by "Darvo"?

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/DARVO

Or is it a Buddhist thing for people that think they are always right?

You got this "Darvo" thing from @Sherapy I know that. 

Not sure what the above is about.....I was trying to he humorous.  

Peace
mark

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 11/7/2018 at 8:34 AM, markdohle said:

HellowDarvosKitty said:

 Here's my humility. 

I had to look it up to make sure I had the correct definition. I was in the ballpark. 

 

"Darvos"

You got this from Sherapy, and you used it several times before.

Are veiled insults Christ like, and, or a sign of humility? 

I know the Christ character does insult people, lies, and purposely talks in parables so some people do not understand.

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Helen of Annoy

Posted

14 hours ago, Hello Davros Kitty said:

"Darvos"

You got this from Sherapy, and you used it several times before.

Are veiled insults Christ like, and, or a sign of humility? 

I know the Christ character does insult people, lies, and purposely talks in parables so some people do not understand.

 

What is your problem, exactly? 

Leave Mark alone. He obviously doesn't want to use 'report' button, but I will.   

  • Thanks 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Dangit ... let's just let Kenny and Mac do it right ...

~

 

 

[00.03:54]

~

Apologies Brother Mark

 

~

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
20 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

What is your problem, exactly?

I have no problem challenging, or questioning anyone. You're the one with a problem giving privilege status out of an emotional need. 

Did you know Mother Teresa took in millions, and let people suffer? It was a gift to suffer like Jesus so she let the sick die in dirty conditions. She's put on a pedastool yet when she was sick she was flown to the U.S. for the best care.

saint_teresa_1005.png

20 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Leave Mark alone. He obviously doesn't want to use 'report' button, but I will.   

Mark is skirting forum rules in which his blogs are actually thinly veiled proselytizing. I did nothing wrong. Mark does not have to post anything on UM. I see Mark different from what you do. 

You're only inspiring me to not give "Holy Privilege " to anyone even more. 

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Helen of Annoy

Posted

12 minutes ago, Hello Davros Kitty said:

 

 

You obviously have an aggressive agenda of your own and from my point of view, it's no different than aggressive theist proselytizing.

It does not give you right, and this forum's rules do not allow that you invent random (or are you truly paranoid?) and disgusting accusations against members whose religious views you don't like. 

You also keep trying to rudely ridicule people who don't share your ideas which is also against forum rules, basic decency and common sense. 

 

When a person who has faith speaks of their faith, it certainly can come across as proselytizing but I don't see the problem in it. It would be very weird if one was happy with their faith and not interested in sharing that experience. Everyone - that includes you - is free to ignore it. You are not free to attack, belittle, stalk and attempt tormenting people whose faith you dislike. 

 

Now go in freaking peace because I've run out of understanding for your particular emotional issue manifested in extremely rude attention-seeking.

Christians will suffer you, I will tell you once more that I will not. You are creeping me out with stalking and personally attacking Mark.     

If you can't stand Christianity, take you problem to the mods and see if they'll maybe forbid mentioning Christianity to suit you. Until that happens, stop this ridiculous and tasteless show of yours. 

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Helen of Annoy

Posted

8 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/humility

I promised I wouldn't spew my pessimism everywhere. But here's the actually definition of humility. For what it's worth. Mark's post do skirt the line between simple posting and preaching. 

So why are you reading them? Another guardian of nihilism? What's to guard? 

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

So why are you reading them? Another guardian of nihilism? What's to guard? 

I read because I can. In some post there is a value in the subjective experience spoken about. In certain cases life changing for people. Since there is a fine line between rational and irrational spiritual belief, I choose to see which one it is. Then choose to post a response. If in those rare cases where someone doesn't go all fanatical magical thinking and becomes inspired to actually improve their lives I'm all for it. Thinking god will fix your life while you do nothing is one thing. Finding inspiration to improve your life, then acting on it is another.

I said it before. Prayer is worthless without beneficial actions. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Helen of Annoy

Posted

14 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I read because I can. In some post there is a value in the subjective experience spoken about. In certain cases life changing for people. Since there is a fine line between rational and irrational spiritual belief, I choose to see which one it is. Then choose to post a response. If in those rare cases where someone doesn't go all fanatical magical thinking and becomes inspired to actually improve their lives I'm all for it. Thinking god will fix your life while you do nothing is one thing. Finding inspiration to improve your life, then acting on it is another.

I said it before. Prayer is worthless without beneficial actions. 

Majority of Christians agree that 'empty' or insincere prayer has no value, or is even a sin. While good deeds (beneficial actions) are that, what makes them Christians. 

Stalking and belittling people is not beneficial. It's a sign of mental problems.   

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
markdohle

Posted (edited)

I really don't post to change anyone, but to share, which is something I seem to need to do as a writer.  I can understand people reading into my post, I do the same thing, it is impossible not to. 

I have no issue with Darvos Kitty, none at all, and really, do not understand what this is all about.   I am not concerned with what others believe, but am interested in what they have to say.  I am a Christian, my faith is not something external to whom I am, but my blood, and bone, I am almost 70 and so the journey has been a long one. 

Xeno:  I respect you, but I have to say, if anyone is preaching, I believe,(with respect)  it is you.   I have no problem with what you think or believe, yet you seem to have lots of issues with anyone who has a faith of any kind, or who actually thinks that this life has meaning, and can live in hope.  I can see why you would not go along with this kind of thing, but your responses are in reality preaching......which I am fine with, I do like and respect you. You can preach all you want to my friend.

HelenofAnnoy:  think you for your friendship, I do love and respect you, and like to read your comments.

Peace to everyone

Mark

Edited by markdohle
  • Like 3

Share this comment


Link to comment
2 hours ago, markdohle said:

Xeno:  I respect you, but I have to say, if anyone is preaching, I believe,(with respect)  it is you.   I have no problem with what you think or believe, yet you seem to have lots of issues with anyone who has a faith of any kind, or who actually thinks that this life has meaning, and can live in hope.  I can see why you would not go along with this kind of thing, but your responses are in reality preaching......which I am fine with, I do like and respect you. You can preach all you want to my friend.

Yeah I do actually. I have a lot of issues revolving around faith. Faith I once had in God. How it let me down. How trusting in something without a actually tangible foundation leads to some terrible things in life. I've tried in vain to restore any faith in the supernatural. I get it. You and others like yourself find meaning and purpose through belief, I fully understand that. I'm just not capable of doing so anymore. Which is honestly something I hate. I was once a very happy magical thinker. Life just worked, I didn't worry, I didn't stress and everything fell into place. I once could find solutions to all my real problems with a little magical thinking and real world effort. Now, one half of my persona is dead. Call it anger, more like envy. I really do envy people like you. I really wish I could just believe in something, anything. Even some god-idea. I sound so pathetic, but it is what it is. I miss being the magician.

  • Thanks 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Helen of Annoy

Posted

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Yeah I do actually. I have a lot of issues revolving around faith. Faith I once had in God. How it let me down. How trusting in something without a actually tangible foundation leads to some terrible things in life. I've tried in vain to restore any faith in the supernatural. I get it. You and others like yourself find meaning and purpose through belief, I fully understand that. I'm just not capable of doing so anymore. Which is honestly something I hate. I was once a very happy magical thinker. Life just worked, I didn't worry, I didn't stress and everything fell into place. I once could find solutions to all my real problems with a little magical thinking and real world effort. Now, one half of my persona is dead. Call it anger, more like envy. I really do envy people like you. I really wish I could just believe in something, anything. Even some god-idea. I sound so pathetic, but it is what it is. I miss being the magician.

'scuse me for butting in, I just can't resist saying my opinion on the subject. 

First, you're not pathetic. We all have doubts, disappointments and dark nights. 

In my own opinion, magic is the wrong path. Not in the sense of burning in Hell for practicing it, the higher power I believe in (and that's based on logic) is waaaaay more tolerant than this, it's that magic offers easy solutions to problems that have no solutions in this life. So of course it doesn't work the way you'd expect.  

Personally, I rather don't pray for particular wishes to come true, I pray for strength and guidance. In my experience, it does work.   

Share this comment


Link to comment
23 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

'scuse me for butting in, I just can't resist saying my opinion on the subject. 

First, you're not pathetic. We all have doubts, disappointments and dark nights. 

In my own opinion, magic is the wrong path. Not in the sense of burning in Hell for practicing it, the higher power I believe in (and that's based on logic) is waaaaay more tolerant than this, it's that magic offers easy solutions to problems that have no solutions in this life. So of course it doesn't work the way you'd expect.  

Personally, I rather don't pray for particular wishes to come true, I pray for strength and guidance. In my experience, it does work.   

No, no it doesn't. That's one of those spiritual "myths". Depending on the system of practice. It can take a lot to work a spell. But there is no real difference in casting a spell than there is saying a prayer. It's the same principle, just different methods. To me magick was a structured approach. Meditation, visualization, a little bit of theatrics. Not much different from catholic mass really (some systems). Have you ever wrote down something you wanted in life. A goal perhaps? Now remove the repeating letters and frankenstein that into a symbol. That's a sigil. That's magick. Your last sentience was the best one. That's a smarter approach. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
XempFish:  Yeah I do actually. I have a lot of issues revolving around faith. Faith I once had in God. How it let me down. How trusting in something without a actually tangible foundation leads to some terrible things in life. I've tried in vain to restore any faith in the supernatural. I get it. You and others like yourself find meaning and purpose through belief, I fully understand that. I'm just not capable of doing so anymore. Which is honestly something I hate. I was once a very happy magical thinker. Life just worked, I didn't worry, I didn't stress and everything fell into place. I once could find solutions to all my real problems with a little magical thinking and real world effort. Now, one half of my persona is dead. Call it anger, more like envy. I really do envy people like you. I really wish I could just believe in something, anything. Even some god-idea. I sound so pathetic, but it is what it is. I miss being the magician. 

Faith is not magical thinking my friend.  It is not about making life easier, or even understanding 'why' things are the way they are.  It rains on the thankful as well as the thankful, we all get it, suffering, pain and loss.  God is not somewhere out there, is in incarnate in you, that is what the Christian faith is all about, allowing Christ to become more alive in us.  

There is no magic man in the sky, I do not know of any believers of any religion who believe that, in a magic man.  However, if some do, they quickly lose their belief......I hope you find some peace my friend. 

 

Peace
mark

  • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
Helen of Annoy

Posted

@XenoFish No offence, but I can't keep myself focused on contemporary performance art, which incidentally handles magic as a prop, for 19 minutes.

I will gladly talk to you, though.   

Share this comment


Link to comment
8 hours ago, Hello Davros Kitty said:

Mark is skirting forum rules in which his blogs are actually thinly veiled proselytizing.

Are you saying there is a rule here against Mark's style of writing, but your maniacal anti-religious obsession gets the green light ?  Sounds like the rules need re-jigging, if that is the case.

  • Thanks 3

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 11/10/2018 at 8:40 AM, Helen of Annoy said:

You obviously have an aggressive agenda of your own and from my point of view, it's no different than aggressive theist proselytizing.

It does not give you right, and this forum's rules do not allow that you invent random (or are you truly paranoid?) and disgusting accusations against members whose religious views you don't like. 

You also keep trying to rudely ridicule people who don't share your ideas which is also against forum rules, basic decency and common sense. 

 

When a person who has faith speaks of their faith, it certainly can come across as proselytizing but I don't see the problem in it. It would be very weird if one was happy with their faith and not interested in sharing that experience. Everyone - that includes you - is free to ignore it. You are not free to attack, belittle, stalk and attempt tormenting people whose faith you dislike. 

 

Now go in freaking peace because I've run out of understanding for your particular emotional issue manifested in extremely rude attention-seeking.

Christians will suffer you, I will tell you once more that I will not. You are creeping me out with stalking and personally attacking Mark.     

If you can't stand Christianity, take you problem to the mods and see if they'll maybe forbid mentioning Christianity to suit you. Until that happens, stop this ridiculous and tasteless show of yours. 

 

Since you're the one that sees echo chambers as a good thing just report me.

Same for you stalker Habit.

Share this comment


Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Hello Davros Kitty said:

Same for you stalker Habit.

Now, now, don't be like that !

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now