Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Urantia Book Poll

You can't know Will and Luis very well I take it? Which parts haven't they posted?
  3. Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

Conservative and Labour voters could have been brexiteers who wanted WTO but voted 'their' party through loyalty, the Greens have been campaigning that Brexit isn't important either way because of climate change, the fact is the only thing we know is the 5 week old Brexit 'WTO' party won it by a long way.
  4. Religion versus Fiction

Yes. But I should explain that I'm a dirty, dirty gnostic. Like I've fought my way out of a Matrix pod, but then I've found out that Morpheus' world is just another Matrix pod in turn, and I've fought myself out of that, and each pod is just an ever-decreasing refinement of pain, and the feeling of friction wrought by constantly freeing myself from Matrix pods is what we call consciousness. I've already answered this, but to put it another way -- Religion exists in a special category of things which claim to be true. It'd all be very well if you had, say, a bogus maths teacher who'd simply lied about their teaching qualifications, and was telling kids outright lies. You could be confident that, if maths is such a vital, utilitarian thing, his lies would be exposed in a very short space of time. But the religious leaders, the indoctrinated institutions and families who ask us to believe things that are _so_ far-removed from our earthly lives, it's actually kind of insulting. I believe the _only_ parallel is the way writers ask us to suspend our disbelief while reading fiction. Think of a far-out religion. Say, Shinto, or something from Native American times. What possible psychological mechanism explains why people would believe that? And yet they have a more compelling vibe by a factor of hundreds and hundreds compared to Midsommer Murders, which really _is_ insulting. But this isn't just an academic argument. It has real-world applications about the criteria for sticking one's nose into other people's business. You use the example, LG, of how my argument can be related to having a mas cull of raccoons and bats because they might have rabies. The moral is, either don't live in a country that has rabies (like me), don't go around playing with wild animals, or just develop a cooler, dude-like 'c'est la vie' attitude to rabies a whole. All atheistic propositions can be translated into something else, and they always end up sounding uncool. Atheism is the antithesis of being cool. It's like choosing to sound like Richard Dawkins when you could sound like Bill Hicks. Anyone with a strong personality has a hobby horse. Everyone has some kind of doomed, neurotic trigger that winds them up. Probably, be cool enough to keep it to yourself.
  5. Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

I dont think most people are even aware of the Green Party policies. Instead its a vote for environmental concerns.
  6. Urantia Book Poll

So another version of YEC? Hence your opposition to evolution and view that the universe has a centre?
  7. Hello Everyone!

Hello, As U Think. Welcome to UM I hope you'll do more than just post videos! Please join in with topics that others have started, too.
  8. Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

Off course it can - what is the Tory / DUP working majority? Its tiny anyway - so only a couple more need to join Change UK as they themselves join the Liberal party. At that stage a vote of no confidence is winnable. How many Tory MPs will walk rather than stay in a party led by Johnson?
  9. Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

'''''''''' and a partridge in a pear treeeeeeee''''''''''''' yes it's time I stopped and got out into the lovely summer day with the dog....
  10. Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

True - but this account for only about 35% of those that voted. So 65% against WTO.
  11. Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

I heard something last night when Corbyn made a statement after the results came in and he seems to think that they can prevent a No Deal Brexit.... so dunno.... doesn't all this come from the Gina Miller* thing and taking the decision away from the Government and giving it to the MPs.... ? * and her backers who made sure they themselves weren't made public...
  12. Not necessarily! You could have some "bad" genes that you didn't know about. Or maybe a car will hit you (I hope not). The ignorance here gives me allergies!
  13. Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

I was fast.
  14. Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

UKIP were already included in that 34.9%. But, yes, about 58% backed leave supporting parties. They did not, however, back your idea of leaving, despite the repeated claims that 'the vast majority now want to leave without a deal'. I'm not sure 'adding' counts as playing with statistics but, yes a fair portion is unknown. But, as with everything, we can only work with what we do know. Which is that the order of popularity is: Remain > no deal > deal Also, I am now saying remain did better than no deal. I missed the 3.4% for Change UK (probably says something about their impact). So the figures are actually at 39.4% remain, 34.9% no deal, 23.2% deal. So Brexit Party win the election but remain has the popularity.
  15. Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

@hetrodoxly.... I'm glad you just made that edit in your previous post......(about the Green Party policies) it did my head in briefly... I was like..... what !!!
  16. Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

It proves we knew what we were voting for, we haven't changed our minds and the vast majority of leavers are willing to do it on WTO.
  17. Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

As it stands, a "no-deal" Brexit (e.g. a true Brexit) is the default condition come October. If the Conservatives elect a 'true' Brexit PM, then I don't think that Parliament can do anything to prevent him/her taking us out of the EU ?
  18. How Iran will defeat Trump and America

Ah, then Judaism must be a fascist, ultra nationalistic, racist, supremacist, terrorist seeding religion (Israel is a Jewish state). Got it! Also, based on that guilty by association 'logic', Muslim extremists are correct in viewing the whole of the West, and all its denizens, as (supporters of) evil invaders of their sovereign lands. Lovely wielding that three mile brush isnt it, its exceptionally easy, creates a marvellously simple reality. You do realize such black & white tactics are an inherent attribute of extremism, dont you. Nuance - not 'hand ringing and pious denials' - is absolutely essential to resolve the present situation, because it addresses the specific culprits instead of blaming an entire global religion by association (which will alienate and aggrevate said population), which opens the way for the only real solution (addressing that specific source). Yet, that source is - again - one of the US's main economical and political ME allies, which is an unconvenient nuance / truth for most Islam basher simpletons.. so they prefer the simple three mile brush interpretation. Hows that for stupid.
  19. Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

true... but what is new is the arrival of the Brexit Party and the huge support they got and if this success goes on to be repeated in a General Election... we could end up with a very different House of Commons...
  20. Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

Brexit Party stood on. WTO. Green Party stood on. Our policies: Cancel Trident replacement, saving at least £110 billion over the next 30 years. A humane immigration and asylum system that recognises and takes responsibility for Britain’s ongoing role in causing the flow of migrants worldwide. Implement a UK-wide strategy to tackle gender based violence, including domestic violence, rape and sexual abuse, FGM and trafficking. An ethical foreign policy that builds capacity for conflict resolution, and end support to aggressive wars of intervention. No more arms sales to oppressive regimes. Trade rules that respect human rights, labour standards, environmental standards and climate commitments with mechanisms for individuals, groups and communities to bring grievances. Strengthen the global deal on climate change, including by delivering climate justice and promoting ecologically sustainable development so that poorer countries can cope with the impacts of climate change Increase the overseas aid budget from 0.7% of GDP to 1.0% of GDP.
  21. Where did Vyse write “We found nothing on the walls”? Your analogy is bogus. As usual. M.
  22. Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

The sad truth is that we are no clearer than we were before the vote, and any and all sides can take figures from the results to argue whatever case one wants.
  23. Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

well if we are going to play around with the statistics... 23.2% of the vote is unknown as to their Leave (with or withour a deal) or Remain desires... the combined Labour and Conservative vote was the 23.2% share and this is the unknown factor.... as they probably voted out of loyalty to the party but may be Leave or Remain.... ? so your figures aren't wrong... so much as incomplete... something like that anyway... the whole thing is exhausting but that might be because I had a late night...
  24. Captain Risky

President Donald Trump was overheard telling Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe that if they worked together like two butt cheeks they could stop the $&%# coming outta North Korea. 

25. Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

Labour, UKIP and Conservative were standing on a brexit policy using that logic leave got 57%.
  26. Place your (pretend) bets..

No, I completely ignore the on topic content because you're an arrogant and smug a*rse. You haven't explained what your peculiar theory is that I've changed my user name because i'm embarrassed at what I've said in the past, and I expect you're not going to now because you're going to sulk aren't you.
  1. Load more activity