Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. What's obvious is that you have no idea what you are even bantering on about. Why even bother RM? Instead of attempting to derail...why not make an attempt to understand? Because it is a secret....that's why. There are those who get it and those who don't...but will... if and when they ever open their eyes to the real world of the human psyche.
  3. I don't believe you

According to you, just about everyone is crooked, so no surprises here !
  4. Pothole Saves Heart Victim

That's pretty funny, Glad he's okay. Never thought a pothole would be the hero of a story.
  5. I don't believe you

Shhhh, don't tell anyone.
  6. The unintentionally hilarious double entendres and grimace inducing voiceover work in the first Two Worlds. I never laughed so hard due to a video game.
  7. I don't believe you

Generally the societies did not collapse because slavery was never abolished UNTIL it became economical to do so. My point was what could happen if slavery had been suddenly outlawed in places like ancient Rome and Greece where most of the workforce were slaves Conditions for black people deteriorated significantly after they were freed in America and it took many years for any sort of equality, but i would expect most African americans would feel it was worthwhile It is not a politically acceptable argument but economically it can be modelled and consequence predicted. Even the sources you gave admitted that removing slavery could cause social chaos but they had an absolutist moral value tha t it was more important to end slavery than maintain a social structure.That was never going to happen, and still would not happen today, or we would not have modern slavery
  8. On the ‘Gools’ The word GOLA retains an interesting word in Afrikaans which essentially means ‘to deceive’. I am not sure if Dutch also has it, maybe as gogelen? I’m not home so I can not check my Van Dale dictionary and cannot find anything online. See here for photos of the verb goël (Dutch reconstruction ought to be *gogelen) and noun derivatives. (A reminder that Afrikaans verbs can be read as Swedish ones but without the -a)
  9. I don't believe you

That's Latin for troll.
  10. {un}holy haiku - 3rd Edition

bumblebees collide apologise and move on wish we could do same
  11. Possible etymoligical link Tyre - 'Terenburg' (Terwaan) Terwaan -> TerenBurg When one notices that Terwaan (Terenburg) and St-Omar (Sithieu of Sitdiu) are located in the same area close to sea, one can imagine the remarkable analogy with the couple Tyre-Sidon. St Omar
  12. I don't believe you

Don't bring my name into it Rape is an abomination of sexual, physical, and other power (such as economic) by men over women (mostly) My only point on this was that what we see as rape was not always seen as rape, and i have only spoken about rape in marriage Ive never coerced or even tried to argue my way into any woman's bed including my wife's. And I have never used any form of violence bribery or coercion. Indeed (in my youth and young adulthood) i have rejected the advances of a number of women, including some quite young ones, because I thought that it was not a good idea, even though they wanted to. (I am a bit old fashioned and have always believed that sex is so powerful that it should only be engaged in as part of a long term, loving, and committed relationship ( I don't impose that morality on others but it has worked well for me) I was raised to love, honour, respect and protect women, and while this is seen as a bit old fashioned by some, today, i still live by those principles
  13. Are vegans hypocrites?

Seriously? This is your first post here and you use it to be rude and offensive. You've joined the wrong site, mate.
  14. Word Association from the Last Letter

engage > enlist
  15. Preceding 1st + Last letters come in New Word

igneous > heist
  16. Random Staircase in giant garden.

Welcome to UM, Runaway_Misfit Sadly, I don't think anyone is going to be able to give you an explanation as to why the garden disappeared .... it will just have to be a lovely, mysterious memory for you(and perhaps sweeter because you were the only one who saw it).
  17. I don't believe you

He's just a contrarian.
  18. I don't believe you

Yes i read and noted that particular paragraph I said many yes there were slaves such as that. However there were also many house slaves,and those who did skilled artisan or book work, who were part of the family, who had their own families with them and were housed, fed and educated by their masters, because the y were very valuable resources These were often having a better standard of living then freemen who would starve to death if the y could not find work for food shelter etc. The masters, being wealthy, could always care for the slaves, where freemen, being poor, lived much more risky lives (and indeed often had to sell themsleves into slavery so their families could survive Did you read any of the sources i gave which explained the different types and conditions of slaves in the greek and roman empires, which is the period I am speaking of Remember i am not arguing FOR slavery, just saying it was not always the evil some insist it was. and sometimes was better (except for the loss of freedom ) than the life of freemen. Plus of course, even freemen of those times were not free as we understand freedom . The y were strictly regulated in their lives by laws and customs that controlled them Studies of remains show that not just slaves but almost ALL men, other than the very wealthy, from ancient societies suffered those sorts of injuries and I mentioned it before. it reflects what like was like for all working men, and often women, free or slave Slaves worked in a wide range of occupations that can be roughly divided into five categories: household or domestic, imperial or public, urban crafts and services, agriculture, and mining.[44] Epitaphs record at least 55 different jobs a household slave might have,[44] including barber, butler, cook, hairdresser, handmaid (ancilla), wash their master's clothes, wet nurse or nursery attendant, teacher, secretary, seamstress, accountant, and physician.[3] A large elite household (a domus in town, or a villa in the countryside) might be supported by a staff of hundreds.[44] The living conditions of slaves attached to a domus (the familia urbana), while inferior to those of the free persons they lived with, were sometimes superior to that of many free urban poor in Rome.[45] Household slaves likely enjoyed the highest standard of living among Roman slaves, next to publicly owned slaves, who were not subject to the whims of a single master.[41] Imperial slaves were those attached to the emperor's household, the familia Caesaris.[44] In urban workplaces, the occupations of slaves included fullers, engravers, shoemakers, bakers, mule drivers, and prostitutes. Farm slaves (familia rustica) probably lived in more healthful conditions. Roman agricultural writers expect that the workforce of a farm will be mostly slaves, managed by a vilicus, who was often a slave himself.[44] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_ancient_Rome
  19. That's called depression. It gets you nowhere.
  20. Worldwide Walls

We should build walls where the majority of illegal peoples and drugs come from: airports.
  21. Today
  22. I don't believe you

Hi Hammer I most assuredly agree, put them down as they deserve. jmccr8
  23. marsman

Happy Easter everyone....its not really about chocolate you know.....

1. acute

acute

Is the air inside the egg more important, then?

2. marsman

marsman

no...its the snake......ask Carlos

24. I don't believe you

In South America, a woman was raped and murdered in an Aymara village. At her funeral, after the ceremony, the villagers took her bound assailant and threw him in the grave, alive, then lowered the casket on top of him. That was a fitting punishment.
  25. THÍR & BOK Týr I actually planned on posting about today, so it is good that so much of him/ them have been found this week. This deity, like Wodin, can be explained by the old Frya language of which many Teutonic words today still retain the meaning. Van Gorp just mentioned Dutch verb ‘tieren’ which means (1) to rave, rage, go wild and also (2) to thrive, prosper, flourish. A third and today forgotten meaning is: (3) glowing, bright, glorious, magnificence. This 3rd archaic meaning (plus the first two ofcourse) is in my opinion a much better explanation for the etymology of Týr than has been guessed up till now. (see Taaldacht vergeten woorden, ‘tier’) That the OLB spelling of THÍR could then become Týr is certainly possible, since Y and Í sounds often umlaut eachother – this is even evident in the pictographical nature of the letter-symbols, while in one case (Y) the accent is to the back, indicated by a staff queer to the left, and in the other (Í) the accent is sharper, forwarded and indicated thus. Note both of these sounds (as well as J) stem from ‘I’ and can also be symbolised by it. And for a more interesting one: Now any one with even Wikipedia level knowledge of the Finnish Joulupukki will immediately recognize the same root in Puck as in ‘pukki’ ==> Bock! Illustration from the title page of Robin Goodfellow: His Mad Pranks and Merry Jests (1629)
  26. I don't believe you

First, you complain that posters had failed to identify present moral ills. Then, when it is pointed out to you that posters actually had identified present moral ills, you accuse one of them of parading his moral superiority. You run a crooked game. I'm not playing.
  27. The secret garden in the woods So, like i usually do on a saturday I went down the hill into the woods. Usually no one except me and a couple other kids ever go down into the woods. I guess i'm a rebel. I walked down near a small stream and suddenly it opens up to two 6 ft long, perfectly white pillars. Inbetween these two pillars was a giant field of perfect, green grass. Along the grass a flower or two decorated the scene. At the middle of the 20x20 yd garden was a staircase. And it spiralled twice before stopping at the top. It was around 3x my height of 5'3''. Naturally, I climbed the staircase to the summit. I felt quite queasy but it was a gorgeous scene. I immediately ran back home to tell my sister shallon but when i went to show her. I followed the same current to the same spot. And I swear it was the same spot. Is there any explanation to this that you know of? Would love to know what happened.
  1. Load more activity